Steering noise when moving steering wheel at full stop.. - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 PM
C4B_Rocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Steering noise when moving steering wheel at full stop..

So a few days ago, I noticed a noise when I move my steering wheel left and right when at a full stop. But while driving, I do not hear any noise. (This is not the hissing noise that I hear when making a full turn.) I also hear a clunk noise sometimes when I try to move the steering wheel at full stop. I went to the Dealership and spoke with an advisor, and he said that it might be the intermediate shaft making the noise. He said that, since I had my suspension modified, the warranty might not cover it. He suggested that I should just think about it first before I have them check, because I may have to pay out of pocket. So I've tried to search for a thread about any steering issues, and I have not found one. If any of you FJ'ers have had this issue, please chime in.

Thanks,
C4B

NorCal FJ

CRUIZIN4BRUZIN BUILD PAGE.

C4B Photo's

Suecyde; previously said:
Call it Stupidity...I call it Great. --> but unless you have done one of these things to or with your FJ...YOU WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:28 PM

Re: Steering noise when moving steering wheel at full stop..

I haven't had that problem but I'm curious as to what dealership told you this (I'm also in SF)
#3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:30 PM
C4B_Rocks

(Thread Starter)

City Toyota, I always go there and they take care of me every time I have issues with the truck.

NorCal FJ

C4B Photo's

Call it Stupidity...I call it Great. --> but unless you have done one of these things to or with your FJ...YOU WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND!!
#4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Make sure you tell them they do have to PROVE that the suspension lift caused the problem, if in turn it did, then yes you should have to pay for it. But saying that because it has a lift is proof is BS. No one else has steering issues just because of a lift.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 AM
Forum Veteran

what suspension do you have? could be the sway bar hitting the coils that is making the clunking noise and if you are hearing a creaking or squeaking noise while turning the wheel at a full stop, then it could be uniballs on the upper control arms needing a spray of lube (assuming you switched to aftermarket UCAs).

2007 TRD SE
+ AFE CAI
+ 285/75/16 Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains
+ 2.5" SAW Coilovers / Camburg UCAs
+ Icon Piggies / Toytec rear springs
+ Demello Offroad 3-hoop front bumper
+ BudBuilt full skids
+ Expedition One Sliders
+ Dirty Parts Dual Battery Kit
* Warn M8000 Winch w/synthetic line (in garage)
#6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 AM
C4B_Rocks

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
layonnn previously said: View Post
Make sure you tell them they do have to PROVE that the suspension lift caused the problem, if in turn it did, then yes you should have to pay for it. But saying that because it has a lift is proof is BS. No one else has steering issues just because of a lift.
When I have the money to pay if it's caused by the suspension I'll go back and get it checked. for now I'll try and find information about this issue I'm having.

Quote:
FloJo previously said: View Post
what suspension do you have? could be the sway bar hitting the coils that is making the clunking noise and if you are hearing a creaking or squeaking noise while turning the wheel at a full stop, then it could be uniballs on the upper control arms needing a spray of lube (assuming you switched to aftermarket UCAs).
I have ICON's C/O, Camburg uca's (uniball) But I have notice on the uca's that just by pressing down my bumper to make the fj move up and down that it seems that the uca's already reach it max droop and I can feel the uca's hitting the limit factor. It seems that the camburg uca's don't have much droop. I even lowered my ICON's a few notches. But as far is creaking and squeaking my UCA's have not made any noise and the noise was coming from the front not towards the side of the FJ. But I will take a look at it when I get home.

NorCal FJ

C4B Photo's

Last edited by cruizin4bruzin; 05-13-2009 at 08:41 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Forum Veteran

remove the front sway bar and see if it still makes the noise. i also have the Camburg UCAs and the only issue i have with them is that the head of the uniball bolt contacts the walls of the uniball area of the UCA at full droop.

2007 TRD SE
+ AFE CAI
+ 285/75/16 Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains
+ 2.5" SAW Coilovers / Camburg UCAs
+ Icon Piggies / Toytec rear springs
+ Demello Offroad 3-hoop front bumper
+ BudBuilt full skids
+ Expedition One Sliders
+ Dirty Parts Dual Battery Kit
* Warn M8000 Winch w/synthetic line (in garage)
#8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Forum Master

I'm getting a similar noise, did you figure out what it was?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Quote:
The late, great Colonel Jeff Cooper postulated four cardinal rules of gun safety. 1) All guns are always loaded, and treated as such. 2) Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you are not prepared to see destroyed. 3) Do not let your finger enter the trigger guard unless and until you are in the very act of intentionally firing the weapon. 4) Be certain of your target.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM
C4B_Rocks

(Thread Starter)

No I haven't figured it out but I do have after market uca's and people I have asked said it might be the uca's uniball and it may need to be oiled. but the noise is coming from the front towards the stairing and also I have spoken to the dealship I go to and said it's my intermediate shaft on my steering.

NorCal FJ

C4B Photo's

#10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming

CV? Put the car in reverse and crank the wheel to one side. Does it make the sound worse?

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.