Difference between Leveling kit and lift kit?? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Suspension / Steering Tech All suspension and steering related topics belong in this subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Difference between Leveling kit and lift kit??

I was looking at lift kits when I saw some links for some leveling kits. I know that leveling kits raise the front a few inches and the back a little less so that they match in height, but why is it so much cheaper compared to a lift kit...Isnt it basically the same thing. I saw a few leveling kits ranging from 100-300 bucks and I saw some lift kits for like 800 bucks...Can someone help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

Re: Difference between Leveling kit and lift kit??

most leveling kits only raise the front, by 1-1/2----2 1/2"..nothing to do with the rear. since the front sits lower, the leveling kit only brings it up, so the front and rear are the same heigth...you will see price variations due to manufacturers............a lift kit typically LIFTS not only the front, but the rear as well..those kits can include more parts, such as springs and shocks...
#3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ajstoy previously said: View Post
most leveling kits only raise the front, by 1-1/2----2 1/2"..nothing to do with the rear. since the front sits lower, the leveling kit only brings it up, so the front and rear are the same heigth...you will see price variations due to manufacturers............a lift kit typically LIFTS not only the front, but the rear as well..those kits can include more parts, such as springs and shocks...
I see, but there is a leveling kit on fjcruiseraccessory.com that raises the front 2.5inches and the back 1.5 inches to level it out but arent u getting the same thing as a reg lift kit for a cheaper price? Like there is Rough country 3inch lift for $329, when that leveling kit is like $175...here is the link
FJ Cruiser Suspension
#4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Forum Veteran

you're paying for performance, articulation and parts. Most "leveling kits" utilize your factory shocks and alot of them still use your factory springs and just add spacers. It'll give you ride height and wheel clearance, but not much in the way of performance or suspension/articulation upgrade. "lift kits" cover the full spectrum, but for the purpose of this explanation, the difference is you add higher end suspension, coil;overs or adjustable coilovers, longer shocks that won't bottom out and break, options to carry more weightm like winches or heavy bumpers......Hope this helps.

this aggression will not stand, man.
BD, 4wd AT, Gobi stealth/ladder, Trail Gear sliders pilot lights, 3" Toytec/Bilstein adj coilovers, Light Racing UCA, diff drop, swaybar relocate, Expedition One WyoOtto, Superwinch/synthetic, Piaa fogs, remote control lighting, LED dome lighting, 18" Procomp alloys, nitto mt 33/12.5/18, 6 Denso Platinums, K&N, Fourtrex tool mounts, Skull AT shift knob, truckergirl t-case knob, all scuba mods, Nuvi w/ FJmods, Sirius, gunvault, blackout signals, rims, grill.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Forum Veteran

A leveling kit is typically just spacers that are installed above the stock coilovers in the front. As AJstoy has said they just lift the front a little bit to level it with the back. They do nothing to change stock ride quality or offroad performance other than adding a little lift. Spacers are nothing more than plastic or aluminum cylinders that are made to fit. Not real complicated, not real expensive. I think you'll find plenty of guys that like them, use them, and are completely happy with them.
A more expensive lift will include new shocks and springs on all 4 corners. The springs and shocks are longer than stock, typically offer better spring loading rates and better dampening rates on the shocks than stock. They usually ride a bit stiffer than stock too. In my opinion, most offer great increases in performance both on and off road. By the way, you can spend a lot more than $800 on some of the lifts out there.
There are also hybrid kits that offer a combination of both spacers in the front and springs and shocks in the rear. There is a ton of information here on the forum. Keep reading and welcome to the forum.

2008 Sandstorm 6MT
285/75/16 Cooper STT, DO Front Bumper, Warn M-8000, TG Sliders, Sway-Away Racerunner on all 4 corners, Camburg UCAs, Scan Guage, Hella 4000, Acro lights in Bumper, Cobra 75WX CB Radio, Ricochet skids, FJtoyman rear shock skids, Safari Snorkel, FJnewb's scuba mod, OutRider front lower link mount Armor, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks in black with red bead lock rings, Tundra door handles, Trail Teams mirrors, Trail Teams grille.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

THanks for the help guys. I think I am leaning towards the leveling kit because it is economically the better choice for me. If I were to buy a lift kit I would probably be wasting money but with the leveling kit, I would get exactly what I want..a more aggressive look, more clearance and a little better performance offroad- I only offroad lightly nothing too serious though...all for a cheaper price.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Forum Veteran

Check out Toytec they can help you with whatever questions you may have and can point you to whatever lift you desire. Home - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

Good luck, whatever you choose, you'll love it!

2008 Sandstorm 6MT
285/75/16 Cooper STT, DO Front Bumper, Warn M-8000, TG Sliders, Sway-Away Racerunner on all 4 corners, Camburg UCAs, Scan Guage, Hella 4000, Acro lights in Bumper, Cobra 75WX CB Radio, Ricochet skids, FJtoyman rear shock skids, Safari Snorkel, FJnewb's scuba mod, OutRider front lower link mount Armor, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks in black with red bead lock rings, Tundra door handles, Trail Teams mirrors, Trail Teams grille.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:19 AM
Forum Veteran

I loved my toytec spacers. I only swapped them out because when I crunched the plastic bumper I upgraded to a heavy steel/winch combo and needed better suspension.

this aggression will not stand, man.
BD, 4wd AT, Gobi stealth/ladder, Trail Gear sliders pilot lights, 3" Toytec/Bilstein adj coilovers, Light Racing UCA, diff drop, swaybar relocate, Expedition One WyoOtto, Superwinch/synthetic, Piaa fogs, remote control lighting, LED dome lighting, 18" Procomp alloys, nitto mt 33/12.5/18, 6 Denso Platinums, K&N, Fourtrex tool mounts, Skull AT shift knob, truckergirl t-case knob, all scuba mods, Nuvi w/ FJmods, Sirius, gunvault, blackout signals, rims, grill.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
AA2D previously said: View Post
Check out Toytec they can help you with whatever questions you may have and can point you to whatever lift you desire. Home - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

Good luck, whatever you choose, you'll love it!
Thanks for the help. I think when I am ready to buy one I will give Toytec a call, they seem to have some nice products for a reasonable price. Thanks again

Quote:
ironmind previously said: View Post
I loved my toytec spacers. I only swapped them out because when I crunched the plastic bumper I upgraded to a heavy steel/winch combo and needed better suspension.
Thats good, I think I will get a leveling kit when I have the money. I would like to keep the factory ride. How do you like your gobi ladder?
#10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

here is a short write-up on the lifts to help you out.
FJ Cruiser Lift Kit Primer

LGRT
See our Off-Road Adventure website for stories, pictures and videos of our off-road adventures, how to mods and maintenance as well as random thoughts and rants
MODs:"Like" us at Last Great Road Trip on Face Book for extras and occasional free stuff

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Suspension / Steering Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.