Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Winterization

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Teneighteen 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I just purchased an FJ and I'm looking to prepare for winter. Ill mostly be traveling to and from Mt Hood but looking at going to Jackson Hole and Whistler as well. Anyone have any recommendations on mods for the snowy season (aside from shovel, jumpers, etc)? I'm already planning on installing fog lights and a winch.

Thanks!

#2 ·
If you just purchased it new I'd POR-15 the frame right now before it starts rusting :)

#3 ·
Remote starter works like a champ when it's snowing. I'll turn mine on 10 minutes before I leave for work. By the time I leave the windshield is already defrosted, bun warmers heated up, and heat is full blast!

#7 ·
Question,

When I bought my 2008 in June, the finance guy stated that remote starts weren't a good idea in cruisers because of all the internal electronics.

Now I haven't really researched it because it is a down the line addition if I do, but have you had any issues with it?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Not all tires that are good in the snow have that symbol. I know they were trying to get it to catch on but not all manufacturers go through the process to get it. My Cooper AT3s are great in the snow, but they don't have the symbol.

#10 · (Edited)
Make sure your washer fluid is rated for cold weather too. I recommend the Rain-X de-icer. Works great.

Oh, and I've had a remote starter in my FJ for the last 4 years, no it. The install is what will make or break it... make sure they solder connections rather than crimp them.
(I believe most vehicles these days have internal electronics :lol: )

EDIT: I also would not install a remote start unless you are experiencing extreme cold... which it doesn't sound like you will be. It's not worth the expense of the starter/install...and ultimately the gas wasted by letting it idle. Just learn to wear the proper winter clothing. The vehicle will warm up pretty quickly.

#14 ·
Remote starters can be installed on MT FJ's. Had mine installed since day one and has been worth every penny. Anyone who tells you they can't be installed on an MT are behind the times. Remote starter technology has evolved leaps and bounds these ain't yer pappys remote starters.

#17 ·
Thanks all, I need to do more research, but this thread made me think of it as I had put it away because of the conversation I had with him.

I would love to be able to get into a warm car in the winter, so maybe this will actually be a sooner rather than later purchase.

The advice is appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.