Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2015 Thanksgiving Week Texas Big Bend Trip

18K views 160 replies 24 participants last post by  1C3Z 
#1 · (Edited)
Post Updated/Revised 11/23/15
If you want to come out to Big Bend over the week of Thanksgiving, I will lead some group runs (Itinerary posted 11/18/15)

We have a group camping area reserved at Rancho Topanga, which is halfway between entrances to the state park & national park. We've stayed there the last 3 years. It's a great base camp for day trips! Space is limited so please PM me with your details if you want to camp there too (dates, # people, # tents, # vehicles, your name & email/cell).

The threads below have ideas for lots of things to do in the area if you need ideas for non-wheeling days. Or, if you want to go wheeling on a day that I'm not leading a group run, there are several options that are easy to find/follow.

Make sure to check out the main thread on planning/packing for trips out there:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...st-prep-links-off-road-trips.html#post3354545

And, feel free to browse through the last two trip threads for a preview:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/texas/354537-2014-dec-texas-big-bend-trip.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...96-texas-big-bend-area-december-2013-a-8.html

:wave:

RSVPs
12 people from outside this group are signed up for the trip - this includes some people from my friend's jeep club and some people from our rockhounding group. RSVPs from this group are below:

13: RSVPs outside of this group
14: tlcntx (Tanya) (camping at RT)
15: linuxgeek (not camping)
16: jediwebdude (camping at RT)
17: Mad Hatter (camping at RT)
18: clemsonxplorer (camping at RT)
19: j_hando30
?: PureFJCruiser (unknown status)

Itinerary Planning Notes

Sunday, 11/22 - If all goes as planned, I will have already arrived and set up camp. On this day I may hit the hot springs in BBNP

Monday, 11/23 & Tuesday, 11/24 - I'll be exploring off-road with friends. If anyone else is arriving this early, let me know if you want to join us.

Wednesday, 11/25 - "Crossing the Border" - as long as I can find my passport by then, I'll be going with some friends into Mexico at the Boquillas crossing/port, all are welcome

Thursday, 11/26 - Christmas Mountain, followed by group pot luck at linuxgeek's cabin (which is in the same area). Possibly a night run through the back county roads on our way back to camp.

Friday, 11/27 - Group Run (I may not lead this one but can help organize a run that anyone new could follow)
Possibly Black Gap Rd & Old Ore Rd.

Saturday, 11/28 - Group Run: Big Bend Ranch State Park - either Cerro De Las Burras (plus Pinto Canyon) or Road to Nowhere

Here is my wish list for off-roading this year in Big Bend along with some recommended runs for some of you on days that I don't lead runs. I can plan group runs more easily if I get some feedback regarding interest level. If there's something no one here is interested in, I can go the beginning of the week.

1. Pinto Canyon Rd (probably an all day run that goes from Marfa to near the border, might include the Chinati hot springs)
2. Black Gap Wildlife Management Area - supposedly there are hundreds of miles of unpaved "jeep" roads; I'd like to spend a day exploring
3. Christmas Mountain (11/26) - this will take about 4 hours (from Terlingua) and will allow time to hit some of the scenic and unpaved county roads (Hen Egg, Herman's Peak, South County Rd, etc.) on the way back (2 more hours).
4. Cerro de las Burras - this is in Big Bend Ranch State Park and will take anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on conditions
5. Road to Nowhere - all day trip in BBRSP

OTHER RECOMMENDED RUNS:
6. Black Gap Rd in BBNP
7. Old Ore Rd in BBNP

See less See more
#2 ·
Save the dates if you're interested in coming to Big Bend the week of Thanksgiving this year. I will lead at least two days of group runs depending on how long I'm able to stay this year. I will for sure be there on Thanksgiving Day, 11/26 and will be leaving that Sunday, 11/29. If nothing comes up that I have to use my other vacation days for, I'll be arriving 4 days earlier on Sunday, 11/22.

I will post more details later. In the meantime, feel free to browse through the last two trip threads and check out the main thread on planning/packing for trips out there:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...st-prep-links-off-road-trips.html#post3354545

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/texas/354537-2014-dec-texas-big-bend-trip.html
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...96-texas-big-bend-area-december-2013-a-8.html

:wave:

This sounds amazing! Let me talk to the lady. At the worst I will be there Saturday morning. I know a couple other FJ guys around here that might be all over this too.

#3 ·
It's about this time of year when my wife is going to say "Again?" and start divorce proceedings! HAHA
I've been looking up new trails ;)

Hen Egg road, which I think is also the Country Road we didn't do after Christmas Mountain.

Someone posted on Facebook yesterday a GREAT looking road that starts west of Presidio and goes all the way to Marfa.
Pinto Canyon Road is the name. Here's the google link they shared:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mar...cb532a8fc02b05cb!2m2!1d-104.675903!2d29.98033

#7 ·
It's about this time of year when my wife is going to say "Again?" and start divorce proceedings! HAHA
I've been looking up new trails ;)

Hen Egg road, which I think is also the Country Road we didn't do after Christmas Mountain.

Someone posted on Facebook yesterday a GREAT looking road that starts west of Presidio and goes all the way to Marfa.
Pinto Canyon Road is the name....
Yes! Pinto Canyon Rd is on my list :)

I've been on Hen Egg, via S. County Rd which I think is on that map I made. It's a nice drive.

I also want to check out the unmaintained roads in Black Gap Wildlife Management Area.

Book your wife for some spa treatments and a room at the resort in Lajitas; )

#19 ·
#25 ·
Please note that I have update/revised my original post.

Also, for those planning to come out for this trip, please let me know the following (which you can send via PM, or PM me for my email address):

1) Estimated arrival date
2) Estimated deparature date
3) Will you be camping with us at Rancho Topanga?
4) If yes to above, please indicate # people/ # vehicles / # tents
5) Which dates do you want to go on group runs?
6) Have you been to Big Bend before?
7) Which trails out there, if any, have you already been on?

#26 ·
Just stumbled on to this thread. . . Haven't been on the forum or wheeling much this summer (work in ND and IL) but sure am entertaining the thought. Had a great time last Christmas with Tanya leading us. If you're new to BBNP/BBSP she knows her way around the trails out that way!

I fear with work and other commitments already made (HI and NC vacations over the next thirty days), the fiancé will look at me like I am nuts. But dang, that is some beautiful country to explore. Wish it didn't take a day to drive there ( took 2 days to get home in that ice storm last winter. - spending NYE in San Angelo was NOT the highlight we were looking for on that trip ?). Anyway, it certainly can't hurt to ask her if she's up for it.

Reactions: BlindWilly
#27 ·
Hey there! :wave: That would be great if you could join us - it would be wonderful to see you both again! But I totally understand how hard it is to fit it all in!

If not this year, then maybe next
:)

#33 ·
I will probably be with a +1 and maybe my 2 dogs. They will be leashed most of the time. I know it is advised because of the wildlife. Question. Hypothetically, if someone were to bring some firearms, for protection against the wildlife, would there be a place and time set up to pop off some rounds to confirm zero and functionality? lol

Reactions: tlcntx
#39 · (Edited)
If we did do a group meal my food would already be prepared and just heated up and shared. Cooking a turkey out there would be difficult, but heating some back up would be really easy.

#40 ·
How many people will be here in Big Bend for T-day? Gears are turning in my head. It would be a hoot to have about 8 FJs parked at my cabin, a couple of banquet tables set up out side... Let me know on the count. We could tie it in to a trip up the Christmas Mountains.

#41 ·
That would be very cool! Plus, Christmas Mountain is one of the few runs that the timing would work with :). I'll work on a count for you & we can go from there :). Do you know if the office will be open on Thanksgiving to loan out the gate key?

#43 ·
I think the office will be open. It's a very big weekend for the lodge. I am at in Big Bend now, so i will stop by this weekend.

#44 ·
Great! Do you mind putting us on the list for reserving the key that day? Maybe 1pm or whatever time you think would work well with a potluck? If we time it right, we can fit in the county/back roads (S. County/Hen Egg, etc) on the way there, or possibly take them on the way back to camp...night run. :)

#45 ·
Office is open on T-day, and I have the key reserved for noon on Thursday.

#48 ·
I'd like to make a few more decisions regarding the trails/days for group runs. How many of you are available for a run on Mon. 11/23 or Tues. 11/24?

#52 ·
Not too late :). Also, I just updated the original post with the folowing camping info:

"We have a group camping area reserved at Rancho Topanga, which is halfway between entrances to the state park & national park. We've stayed there the last 3 years. It's a great base camp for day trips! Space is limited so please PM me with your details if you want to camp there too (dates, # people, # tents, # vehicles, your name & email/cell)."

#56 · (Edited)
I am eyeing this thread with envy. I wish I could join you guys. Work is not letting me off because of our commitment to work a holiday.

I did enjoy the trip the last time.

@BlindWilly
I will be keeping an eye out for the Spring run you are talking about to see if it is something I can do.

I got my Armada a 3 inch lift now so I am more than ready to follow you guys on some other runs. I have not taken my Armada offroad since I did my lift, so I am looking forward to joining any trips that I can take off work to join.

Interested in 2 inch lift with upgraded front and rear shocks - Page 5 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums

#57 ·
I am eyeing this thread with envy. I wish I could join you guys. Work is not letting me off because of our commitment to work a holiday...
I also wish you & your family could join us!

If you want to try out your new lift before a spring trip, there is a wheeling trip to Hidden Falls (in Marble Falls, TX) planned for the first weekend of December if you're available for that. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.