Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2016-Dec Texas Big Bend Wheeling Trip

5K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  BlindWilly 
#1 · (Edited)
Update 20160727: I'm unable to commit to this trip after all. I'm leaving the information here in case anyone else still wants to go. If anyone wants to take on trip coordination/trail lead, let me know and I can put this into your hands - but, I'm still happy to help from afar. :) I will suggest that if anyone is considering going, you go ahead and make campsite reservations at Rancho Topanga, or wherever you want to stay...the sooner, the better.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The threads below have ideas for lots of things to do in the area for non-wheeling days.

Make sure to check out the main thread on planning/packing for trips out there:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...st-prep-links-off-road-trips.html#post3354545

And, feel free to browse through the prior trip threads for a preview:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/texas/354537-2014-dec-texas-big-bend-trip.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...96-texas-big-bend-area-december-2013-a-8.html

2015 Thanksgiving Week Texas Big Bend Trip - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

Here is a list of ideas for group run days:

1. Christmas Mountain - private access requires advance reservation for the gate key; contact Terlingua Ranch Lodge for info

2. Cerro de las Burras - this is in Big Bend Ranch State Park and will take anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on road conditions, whether or not you decide to hike to the caves, etc

3. Road to Nowhere - all day trip in BBRSP

4. Black Gap Rd, with stop at Mariscal Mine, in BBNP

5. Old Ore Rd with a stop to hike into Ernst Tinaja, in BBNP

6. River Road, in BBNP (east, west or both)

7. County Roads north of Terlingua - always fun to drive on & explore, with plenty of scenic views & photo opportunities

8. Black Gap Wildlife Management Area - supposedly there are hundreds of miles of unpaved "jeep" roads

See less See more
#3 ·
Definitetly going to try and make this one.

Reactions: tlcntx
#4 ·
Count me in for now!
I may do an "overland" type trip on those dates too, and I'll let you know way ahead of time.
If I do the overland, maybe we can coordinate a time to meet up on some trails or something.
If I don't then you won't be able to get rid of me :D

#7 ·
My wife has wanted to take a trip out there ever since she saw the rock formations at the end of the movie "Boyhood". If you know what I'm talking about, will this trip take us close enough to that area so she can check it out? I have no idea where those formations are or what they're called.

#8 ·
Short answer - Yes :)

Long answer - I've never seen that movie so I looked it up. It looks really good so I downloaded it. I also read that the last scene was originally supposed to have been filmed in Big Bend National Park but that's when they had government shut downs & the park was closed. That led them to Big Bend Ranch State Park for the final hiking scene, which was at Closed Canyon. I've always wanted to hike that but haven't managed to do so yet. It's very easy to get to & would actually work well to do on the same day as the Cerros de las Burras run. The trailhead for Closed Canyon is along the way to it. I think you just helped me with another piece in the itinerary :)

#9 ·
I've heard of that movie, just haven't watched it yet.

So, I was on the big bend chat forum and reading about gpx files.
I downloaded Garmin's desktop software to view them and it's pretty cool. It's called Base Camp.
I then searched the web for some files of big bend that people had added waypoints, etc in.
Looks like these two I found are pretty detailed.

Now, I admit, I'm still teaching myself about all the GPS options and what I want to use on the trail. I'm looking for something that will have topo maps and these waypoints too.
What are y'all using on the trail besides paper maps and compass's?

I downloaded Backcountry Navigator and PDF maps to my phone and so far they seem great, but I haven't mastered them yet.
I've thought about a separate GPS unit that does trails, but I haven't tested the Android ones on my phone enough yet to justify the expense.

I've included the GPX files I found if y'all are interested in them.

Attachments

#10 ·
i use GAIA, it's $20 and you can download areas and detail it as needed for space. there's many different layers that will have trails, topo, and/or satellite imagery.

i've also used some topo maps downloaded from here GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr

i use basecamp to build custom maps for my handheld Garmin (have taken PDF's of park maps and sized onto google map then saved through basecamp lol), and trail logging from my nuvi. lol on top of the iPad running the GAIA system. yet i still get lost!! haha

thanks for the gpx's will hang onto them for later use.

#11 ·
Quick note, many of the Garmin Nuvi units will accept 24K topo maps in addition to the 100K street maps. Using Basecamp (free with a lifetime maps unit) to load 24K topos to your Garmin auto unit will provide excellent visibility to the 1000s of miles of gravel roads in Big Bend Ranch SP, Terlingua Ranch, and Black Gap WMA.

You can purchase the Garmin DVDs of 24K topos, or download free ones from GPS File depot (link above). If you have any troubles that you can't solve by following the instructions on the site, or searching Youtube, PM me and I will attempt to help.

#17 ·
Bump :D

I created this map to find Casa Ramon based on the description found in the "Road to Nowhere" pdf that the state park puts out.
I spent a lot of time on Google Maps and Earth scoping this out, and I think I got it right.
This was supposed to be from my trip last march that I had to bow out of due to a work emergency.
A few of the folks from DFW made it out here. Said it was remote, but doable.

It should be viewable, but if anyone has any trouble, let me know.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aFEGye952utAtZNriaJMdsDaG38&usp=sharing

Might be able to see it here too.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1aFEGye952utAtZNriaJMdsDaG38

#18 ·
Change of plans for me: 2016-Dec Texas Big Bend Wheeling Trip

Unfortunately, I have to back out of this trip. I might be able to go but won't know until almost the last minute due to some other things that can't be planned in advance. I don't want to create a situation where people are counting on me to lead runs and leave them hanging. If anyone wants to take over as trip coordinator, let me know. For now, I'm going to edit the original post and will leave up the reference information for anyone who still wants to go. Feel free to let me know if anyone has any questions about going to Big Bend...I'll do my best to help :).

#19 ·
Re: Change of plans for me: 2016-Dec Texas Big Bend Wheeling Trip

Unfortunately, I have to back out of this trip. I might be able to go but won't know until almost the last minute due to some other things that can't be planned in advance. I don't want to create a situation where people are counting on me to lead runs and leave them hanging. If anyone wants to take over as trip coordinator, let me know. For now, I'm going to edit the original post and will leave up the reference information for anyone who still wants to go. Feel free to let me know if anyone has any questions about going to Big Bend...I'll do my best to help :).
Well damn I was getting ready to sign up for this, oh well maybe someone who knows the area will be able to step in and keep it alive. Hope you can make it anyway though! :mecry:

#20 ·
This is a trip I want to do....but maybe next year.
If this happens next year, I'm good to go.:blueblob:

#22 · (Edited)
I'm going to be out there in this time frame "overlanding" across the state park. The last time I was out this way was with Tanya's group back in 2014.
If someone takes the reins on organizing this trip, definitely go over her past trips and threads she linked to on the first page here.
Big Bend is a big beautiful place to explore, but it helps to be prepared when you go out there.
If you don't camp, there are hotels and motels out here.
Here's a little inspiration :)
1 Christmas Mountain
2 On the way to Nowhere
3 Black Gap Road

Attachments

#26 ·
I'm still subscribed to this thread, so if I can be any help with ideas, I will.

If you camp at Rancho Topanga, I would suggest making a reservation as soon as your firm up your plans. A group reservation would be better, but let them know how many you will have going.
Home
If you are going to rent a room at one of the hotels in Terlingua Ghost Town, same thing. The sooner the better
It can get busy the closer you get to the holidays, and NYE can get busy down there.

#30 ·
Just to get everyone excited :D
This is Bofecillos road, the main dirt road to the Ranger Station from the highway.
Video is 2x speed and takes 30 minutes.
From the ranger station it's at least another hour or two through rougher terrain to Tres Papalotes and "Nowhere".

#31 ·
Ok folks, looks like someone has taken the reins on the Big Bend trip.
In fact, 2 big bend trips!!!
One around Thanksgiving and one between Xmas and NYE.
If you're on Facebook, head on over to the Texas Overland page and read up about the trips.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasOverland/
Melanie Phillips has a post from Sunday with info regarding the trip.
--------------------------------------
Open Invite! Gauging interest here for my (& Tanya Cole's) 8th annual holiday Big Bend trip. This year we will have 2 winter trips, over Thanksgiving and Christmas through New Years. Camping, exploring the back roads in Big Bend National Park, Big Bend Ranch State Park and others in the Terlingua area, rock hounding, a visit to Boquillas del Carmen, and a very good time in the ghost town of Terlingua.
Several clubs are invited and join us every year. We always have a fantastic group of 12 to 20 people. We camp at a private campground called Rancho Topanga located between Terlingua and LaJitas. It has great amenities and you will love it. Nice, clean bath house with plenty of hot water, fresh farm eggs avail on site most days, ground fires allowed-a few fire rings provided at our group site, covered area with pic nic tables at our site....
Several members here that often join us on this trip: Curtis Young, Melissa Neel,Tanya Cole, Johann Minshew, Phillip Jones, Chris Lohman, William Hillier and probably a few others I can't think of right now.
I have already reserved our regular large group site for both trips.
We can accommodate up to 20 TENTS. Possibly more in a second area if necessary. The owner of the campground will accommodate whatever we need as long as we give him some notice.
Camping is $10 per night per person. Children are welcome. Dogs allowed on leash.
Dates reserved. for November: Wednesday the 23rd- Sunday the 27th.
Dates reserved for December: Saturday the 24th - Monday, Jan. 2. Come when you can, stay as long as you can. No problem if you want to come earlier or stay longer as long as it's available.
There is also a very nice house available at the campground. Fully stocked with awesome views. It's $ 100 per night and sleeps 4 or 5. One bedroom with two sofa beds. The house is already booked by someone in our group for Dec. 26- Jan. 1st., but may still be available for Thanksgiving.
If you haven't made it to Big Bend yet, this is a great trip to go on. I guarantee, you will want to go back with us every year!
If there's enough interest here, I will create an official event for yall to RSVP and will then add pictures from past trips, runs planned and a tentative itinerary.
And don't worry you can still get a fantastic traditional holiday dinner on either of these trips thanks to the local restaurants and TPWD puts on quite a nice catered spread out at BBRSP as well.
So, who's in ?????!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------

#32 ·
Ok folks, looks like someone has taken the reins on the Big Bend trip.
In fact, 2 big bend trips!!!
One around Thanksgiving and one between Xmas and NYE.
If you're on Facebook, head on over to the Texas Overland page and read up about the trips.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasOverland/
Melanie Phillips has a post from Sunday with info regarding the trip.
Planning to be at the Christmas one. Reservations currently not at the group site so don't leave me behind. :frown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.