Irwin sockets for rounded-off bolt heads and nuts? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion > Tools
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Tools The discussion of tools related to the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member Number: 15654
Thumbs up Irwin sockets for rounded-off bolt heads and nuts?

Irwin Sockets?

Recently, a friend of mine had a rounded off oil pan drain plug and we spent about an hour trying everything in our tool boxes to get it out to no avail. We were seriously considering heat, but didn't want to go that route.

Anyway, my friends brother (a mechanic) told him to try "Irwin sockets". My friend found a set at NAPA and tried one on his oil pan drain plug. It came right out! The sockets are tapered on the inside and have reverse angled sharp ridges in them. They looked like they would really grip and in the case of the stuck oil pan drain plug, worked very well. They look very handy and I will pick up a set the next time I have a stuck or rounded off bolt head or nut.

Now, I'm not a newbie when it comes to tools, but I had never heard of these before and neither had my friend. A google search for them only produced 44 hits. Does anybody else have experience with these sockets and are they called by any other name?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 18003
Re: Irwin sockets for rounded-off bolt heads and nuts?

I believe you are reffering to the Irwin Bolt Grip products. They look like sockets, but act as you described. They make them in shallow shaft and deepwell and also make a Power-Grip which goes into your screw gun. I hope that helps.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 11473

Quote:
crotalus previously said: View Post
Irwin Sockets?

Recently, a friend of mine had a rounded off oil pan drain plug and we spent about an hour trying everything in our tool boxes to get it out to no avail. We were seriously considering heat, but didn't want to go that route.

Anyway, my friends brother (a mechanic) told him to try "Irwin sockets". My friend found a set at NAPA and tried one on his oil pan drain plug. It came right out! The sockets are tapered on the inside and have reverse angled sharp ridges in them. They looked like they would really grip and in the case of the stuck oil pan drain plug, worked very well. They look very handy and I will pick up a set the next time I have a stuck or rounded off bolt head or nut.

Now, I'm not a newbie when it comes to tools, but I had never heard of these before and neither had my friend. A google search for them only produced 44 hits. Does anybody else have experience with these sockets and are they called by any other name?
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't heard of them either. Vice Grips also do the job.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
(you know, like gods and stuff)
Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
sonof40 previously said: View Post
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't heard of them either. Vice Grips also do the job.
Nope, I'm a vice-grip expert. When trying to remove the already-rounded plug, we spent an hour on it and used all manner of monster vice-grips, impact six-sided sockets, etc. and all it did was continue to round off the head. The Irwin socket worked the first time.

It was a new/used truck for my buddy, turns out some numbnuts (probably at a shop because the previous owner never changed her own oil...) did not put the washer (a galvanic isolator?) on the plug - galvanic action most likely led to corrosion causing the problem.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 15334
Lifetime Supporting Member

Being in NY, are you sure it wasn't salted roads in the winter time, that caused the corrosion? Doesn't take a lot of salt to start the corrosion process.

Another alternative to the Irwin removers is to drill a hole in the center of the bolt, just deep enough to use and easy-out bit (reverse-threaded bit, that bites into the bolt, facilitatiing the removal of the bolt)...
'08 Titanium 4X4; AT; LD; A-Trac; Cobra CB radio & Bandi-mount mini whip; Yaesu FT-7800R HAM radio & Comet SBB7 hatch-mounted 5/8 wave antenna Call Sign: KE5WTX; Toyota extra horn mod; BajaRack Exp roof rack; 295/70/16 Hankook Dynapro MT tires; Factory off-road 16" alloys; OME 884 front coils & N140S shocks, ToyTec Medium rear coils, OME N71E rear shocks; SCUBA breather mod; Steel sway bar collars; Digger upper and lower rear links; Rasta4x4 skids; Metal Tech step sliders & front tube bumper; Hella 500's; Camping Labs RTT Future Mods: Cloaking Device, Disruptors
Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
JoeUser previously said: View Post
Being in NY, are you sure it wasn't salted roads in the winter time, that caused the corrosion? Doesn't take a lot of salt to start the corrosion process.
Oh, I'm quite certain that the recent salt exposure was a contributing factor, but the truck just came from Oklahoma and this was its first oil change in NY.

Quote:
Another alternative to the Irwin removers is to drill a hole in the center of the bolt, just deep enough to use and easy-out bit (reverse-threaded bit, that bites into the bolt, facilitatiing the removal of the bolt)...
Yeah, I've used easy-out bits before with limited success. The Irwin sockets offer advantages in that you don't have to drill a hole (exactly in the center which is hard to do on a rounded off bolt head) so there is one less step, the fact the Irwin socket places force on the outside of the bolt head gives you more leverage, and you can't use easy-outs on rounded off nuts. That said, you also couldn't use an Irwin socket on removing a twisted off bolt.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 4051

Was it these bolt extractors

IRWIN Bolt Extractors

Another way if you have a mig welder you do a bead on the bolt and weld a new nut to it. Works great the heat from the welder help loosening the thread and the new bolt is great for removing.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 16558

Only used them once, but they work great. At one time Autozone carried them also.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 15334
Lifetime Supporting Member

Well, once you get the drain bolt out, try using one of these from now on:

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

If you're worried about the lever being unlatched by debri or obstructions just use a spring clamp over the valve body to prevent the lever disconnecting prematurely (shouldn't be a problem where the oil pan is located, and with the factory skid cover in place)...
'08 Titanium 4X4; AT; LD; A-Trac; Cobra CB radio & Bandi-mount mini whip; Yaesu FT-7800R HAM radio & Comet SBB7 hatch-mounted 5/8 wave antenna Call Sign: KE5WTX; Toyota extra horn mod; BajaRack Exp roof rack; 295/70/16 Hankook Dynapro MT tires; Factory off-road 16" alloys; OME 884 front coils & N140S shocks, ToyTec Medium rear coils, OME N71E rear shocks; SCUBA breather mod; Steel sway bar collars; Digger upper and lower rear links; Rasta4x4 skids; Metal Tech step sliders & front tube bumper; Hella 500's; Camping Labs RTT Future Mods: Cloaking Device, Disruptors
Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
fjTeddy previously said: View Post
Was it these bolt extractors

IRWIN Bolt Extractors

Another way if you have a mig welder you do a bead on the bolt and weld a new nut to it. Works great the heat from the welder help loosening the thread and the new bolt is great for removing.
Yup! Those are it. Welding on a new nut is also a great tip!

Quote:
JoeUser previously said: View Post
Well, once you get the drain bolt out, try using one of these from now on:

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

If you're worried about the lever being unlatched by debri or obstructions just use a spring clamp over the valve body to prevent the lever disconnecting prematurely (shouldn't be a problem where the oil pan is located, and with the factory skid cover in place)...
Hmmmm... Have you used one of these before or know someone who has? I suppose on the FJ that it would be protected by a skid plate, but I'd be a bit concerned about it having terrain clearance issues on other vehicles - wouldn't be good to knock it off or as you pointed out already, accidentally draining your oil out due to accidental unlatching of the lever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Misc. Technical Discussion > Tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.