Rig of the Month March 2017: toyotacolin/Old Cruiser!!! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Rig of the Month March 2017: toyotacolin/Old Cruiser!!!

March 2017 Rig of the Month: toyotacolin/Old Cruiser

For those not familiar with these 2 stellar members of the community and their awesome FJ, Alex (Old Cruiser) originally owned this beast of a rig and built it to the extreme with long travel suspension and a whole slew of mods that would make any one of us drop our jaws in awe. Then a few years ago Alex decided to part with the FJ though staying around as a moderator in our FJCruiserForums community. Luckily though the FJ went to Colin (toyotacolin) who actually already owned an FJ but decided to sell it and buy Alex's old "crack rock Toyeti" build. Colin then went on to continue modding the rig and swapping parts to truly make it his own. Glad the FJ has stuck around and glad we could recognize these 2 awesome members and their super epic rig! Some questions are directed to both of them and both responses are posted below each question but some are specific to the individual in which only one response will be posted below the question.

Old Cruiser BEFORE:

Old Cruiser AFTER:

toyotacolin BEFORE: Here is my first weekend wheeling it right after Alex drove it out to NM to bring it to me.
IMG_6383

toyotacolin AFTER:
IMG_0681
IMG_0772

We'd like to congratulate toyotacolin (Colin) & Old Cruiser (Alex) for having the March 2017 Rig of the Month!

Hayden: Tell us a bit about yourself (age, family, school/job, hobbies, where are you from, how long you’ve lived where, etc.)[Really whatever you’d like to share, like what you would tell someone if you were meeting them for the first time]?

Alex: Im old hence the name but truth be told I gave myself the name Old Cruiser after seeing how young many of the members were on here, it kinda made me feel old. So that’s what stuck. Work in the O&G sector in Quality Assurance. I’ve lived in lots of places- Georgia, New York (literally all over it) and finally Texas. Travelled a lot for work over the past 6 years but Mrs OC puts up with it.

Colin: I will be 40 yrs old this year! I have an amazing wife who loves wheeling (and drives the all the hard trails in the CRC so I can take the pictures!) We have an awesome 2 yr old who has been wheeling since before he was born! He has been to 3 FJ summits even! We liked coming up to Colorado so much that last year we decided to move to Ft Collins Colorado! We love it up here and even bought a house a few months ago. Sadly we haven’t been able to do much wheeling because I destroyed the spider gears at the last FJ summit, but shortly it is getting fixed! As soon as I get my new company up and running! After selling cars for the last 20 yrs my friends asked me to help them launch a new company! Here is a link to what we do. The Factory ? A New Dimension When this goes well, the FJ is getting some more goodies put on!

Hayden: What is the story of how you got your FJ Cruiser?

Alex: I was tired of my 2007 Dodge 2500 constantly being in the shop. With 22,000 miles I told Dodge after they replaced my entire exhaust manifold and turbo straight back to the tail pipe- twice… That I would not be coming back. Drove to a Toyota Dealership and started asking about the FJ. I needed a sturdy rig that could get me down rig roads and after the horrible treatment from Dodge- I knew Jeeps were out of the question. Funny thing was the 2009 were sold out and the 10’s were just starting to come in. I had saw a rant on here about some guy from Austin complaining about how the dealer wouldn’t sell him a 2010 for 27K (sticker was 32K). The guy was trying to get the 2007/08 prices when Toyota flooded the market and didn’t advertise the truck and were left sitting on thousands, so they sold them cheap. When 2009 rolled around, they were ending that chassis and getting ready to roll out the newer design and they weren’t coming in the same numbers as before. In the end- I got $1500 off I think and bought it without even taking it for a test drive. Best memory the night I pulled off the dealership lot was when I threw it in reverse to back out and saw the mirror light up with the rear view. I was floored and off I went, smiling the whole way home

Colin: Alex and I had been talking for a while about photography and he knew I sold cars, so when he decided to sell it he asked me for a few tips and I told him I would be glad to help him. Well after reading ALL his build thread and seeing how much he had done to it and the love he put into it, I decided to sell my FJ and buy his! So I listed mine and had it sold in a few hrs! He offered to bring it to me in New Mexico even!

Hayden: Was the FJ Cruiser your first offroad vehicle? If not what was the first vehicle you took wheeling?

Alex: Technically no. I owned the best Nissan Pathfinder ever offered on this side of the ocean- 1987-1/2 model XE-V6. No frills but it was a beast. I did a body lift and larger tires but never got to see more than a few feet of snow with it. The FJ reminded me of the truck but with the ability to make it more capable now that I was no longer squeezing by like back in the day

Colin: Well it wasn’t my first, but it might be my last! Thats saying a lot as I have had 53 vehicles now! My first true offroad vehicle was my 99 Landrover Disco.

Old Cruiser's Mod List:

Suspension/ Steering-
Front-
All Pro +2” Long Travel (UCA/ LCA)
2.5” Fox Coilovers w/ external reservoirs
Timbren Bump stops
All Pro Spindle Gussets
Total Chaos Tower Gussets
Total Chaos Cam Gussets
Currie +2” CrMo Axles
All Pro HD Steering system
SS extended brake lines

Rear-
Custom Metal Tech Long Travel
ICON Omega Twin Tube Bypass- Custom lengthened for LT set up
Light Racing Jounce Shocks with custom welded spacers
Metal Tech Long Travel Springs
Day Star 1.5" Spring Spacer
Metal Tech 3" Bump Drop spacers
Timbren Bump stops- modified
All Pro HD Upper Links (Control Arms)
Metal Tech Offset Lower Links (Control Arms)
SS extended brake lines

Wheels/ tires/ accessories
17” x 8.5” Trail Ready HD Bead Locks with Blue anodized World Series Rock Rings (w/ double rock ring spacers)- Posts 127 and 262
35” x 12.5” 17R Pitbull Rockers (Tennis ball, golf ball and airsoft pellet balanced)- posts 127, 195 & 262
Spidertrax 1.25” Spacer- Rear only
Gorilla Wheel locks (12mm x 1.5” acorn)- post 483
ARB Airdown tool
Powertank 10lbs CO2 tank- Custom Smoked Bronze w/ upgraded Nitrogen gauges, hose and bag
Powertank Air chuck w/ oil filled Gauge
ARB Compressor (See TC / Gearing)

Transfer Case/ Gearing
Marlin "Lefty" with 30 Spline CroMo Output shafts (Front and Rear), 23 Spline Competition 4.7.1 Gears and 4.0 Inchworm Adapter Plate. Installed with Tummy Tuck package- 4" additional break over clearance.- Posts- 970, 996 & 1000
Nitro 4.56.1 Gears (Front and Rear)
8" ARB Air Locker- RD121 for 8" IFS Clamshell
ARB Compressor- Hi-output- CKMA12- 12 Volt w/ 2 Gallon reserve tank- Air lines plumbed to both front and rear bumpers with quick connects (also used to activate locker)- Post 1062

Armor/ Exterior
Front Bumper- Custom Rocktek w/ stinger
Rear Bumper- LoD with Tire Swing out- includes Hi-Lift mount, RotoPax mounts and tray- Posts- 534, 537 & 545
Briareos Bumper Mod
Bud Built 5 piece "Tummy Tuck" skids- PC Hammertone Grey
Bud Built Rear Differential Skid- PC Hammertone Grey- post 483
All Pro APEX DOM Kick-Out Sliders- Won from All Pro-Yea!!
Rocktec Upper link armor
Outrider Lower link armor
FJToyman Shock armor- compliments of Joe!
Aero Light Guards
Kill Helmet!- post-115
Plastic fender removal
Pinch weld "correction"
BMC
Threadworkz Custom CB antenna Flags (Toyeti & Punisher)

Lighting
1- 40" Rigid E-Series light Bar w/ custom roof rack delete mount (not installed)
1 Pair- Lightforce Blitz 240’s with yellow/ clear lens covers/diffusers spot/flood combo beam
1 Pair- Scoprion-LED 109 watt LED (5”)- flood beam- Post 392, 417 and 504
1- Scorpion-LED 12 degree Spot light (Prototype)- Cyclops
1 Pair- Rigid Dually D2’s- euro beam- Post 417 and 504
1 Pair- PIAA LP530- LED lights in rear bumper
LA Trail Teams 10- Side Mirror Light Mod- Amber LED-Thanks Erick!

Recovery
Pathfinder 9000 lbs non integrated winch
Warn Industries Winch selonoid shut off w/ remote switch
50’ Viking 3/8” Amstell Blue Synthetic winch line with safety thimble and rubber protector
Demello Offroad Black aluminum Fairlead- Custom Fatty
48” Hi-Lift Extreme
Hi-Lift Base
Rocktek Hi-Lift/ Slider adaptor
Bushranger X-Jack (AKA- The Orange Marshmallow)
ARB Premium Recovery (9000 Snatch block, Snatch strap, Tree saver, Winch extension, Shackles, winch line isolator and gloves)
Wheel chocks
Tool Bag- various hand/ airtools
Milwaukee ½” cordless impact gun
RotoPax 4 x 2 Gallon gas cans
(2) Trail Spare +2” CV's
Additional Shackles

Sound system- 17 speakers
Pioneer AVH- P8400BH head unit
JL Audio XD600/6 600watt x 6 amplifier
JL Audio XD500/3 100watt x 2/ 300watt x 1 amplifier
JL Audio remote level controller
6 x 9" Focal Access 690 CA1 SG's 2-Way Coaxial speakers (Door)
TacoTunes 6 x 9" Speaker door mounts
3 1/2" Infinity Reference 3002CFX 2-Way Coaxial speakers- (Dash)
4" Focal Polyglass 100CVX 2-Way Coaxial speakers (Rear Pods)
4" VersaPod enclosures
3 1/2" Polk Audio DXi350 2-Way Coaxial speakers (Rear Pillar)
10" JL Audio 10TW3 Slimline Sub woofer
SubThump FJ Cruiser subwoofer enclosure
KnuKonceptz Kolossus Flex Kable 0 gauge OFC wire-main
Kicker 4 gauge OFC wire- to amps and ground
100 amp AGU Fuses/ 50 amp MAXI fuses
12 gauge Monster speaker wire throughout- soldered connections
JL Audio power distribution block and Battery mount
Dynomat Xtreme Light- 20 sq ft- front doors
Fat Mat sound insulator- 100 sq/ft- floor/ walls/ remaining doors

Communication/ Audio
Cobra LX 29 Limited Edition -Post- 537
Astatic Noise Cancelling Microphone
4’ Firestik FS4 antenna
Firestik SS Spring
Quik-Disconnect
Bandi Mount
Astatic PDC1 SWR meter
Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 w/ GPS Trackmaker & Verizon 4G Mobil broadband
Wilson 801212 Dual Band Car Cell Phone Booster Antenna
Garmin Nuvi 500- Offroad GPS
Banks IQ - OBD2 controller/ scanner

Engine/ Electric Other
TRD Drop-in filter
Megan SS catback exhaust- post 309
Dirty Parts Dual Battery Kit w/ Odyssey PC2150 battery and Sears Platinum Battery w/ Lots of booger weldz- post 505
Blue Sea Systems 3000HD battery switch/ single circuit On/Off- 600 amp continuous
2 gauge OFC w/ copper connectors- crimped and soldered- upgrade to factory alternator/ ground system
Blue Sea HD Series Battery Switch- rated at 600 amps continuos

Lots of stickers

Interior
PRP Podium Racing seats- post- 485, 492 & 504
Metal Tech PRP seat brackets w/ SRS delete switch Post 492, 504 & 537
Ellis Precision shifter handle- Stealth Black- Post 166
Bones- DeadPedal replacement mod
Custom made rear shelf (deletes rear seats)
Custom S-Track tie down system
ARB 50 qt Refrigerator/ freezerw/ ARB Fridge Slider with ARB tie down straps
Yeti 45 qt cooler
Custom ARB locker/ Compressor switches
Switches for airbags, PIAA lights and D2's
Factory fog light switches for Lightforce and Scorpions
Ram Mount Computer/ GPS
DIY- 12 Volt receptacle
SpringTail Side M-Pac Rack with Large MOLLE bag
SpringTail M-Pac- 1st Aid MOLLE Bag
TPMS light- always on (same with compass- hoping thy burn out soon)
Custom Aluminum Dead pedal - Bone Offroad
Interior grab handles- Knotworx custom paracord- Thanks Tank Girl

Additional
Expedition One Geri cans- Water x 2 (4 gallons)
Window tint
DYI Tail light tint

Last edited by FJX2000; 03-03-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
re: Rig of the Month March 2017: toyotacolin/Old Cruiser!!!

toyotacolin Mod List:
Front-
All Pro +2” Long Travel (UCA/ LCA)
2.5” Fox Coilovers w/ external reservoirs
Timbren Bump stops
All Pro Spindle Gussets
Total Chaos Tower Gussets
Total Chaos Cam Gussets
Currie +2” CrMo Axles
All Pro HD Steering system
SS extended brake lines

Rear-
Custom Metal Tech Long Travel
ICON Omega Twin Tube Bypass- Custom lengthened for LT set up
Light Racing Jounce Shocks with custom welded spacers
Metal Tech Long Travel Springs
Day Star 1.5" Spring Spacer
Metal Tech 3" Bump Drop spacers
Timbren Bump stops- modified
All Pro HD Upper Links (Control Arms)
Metal Tech Offset Lower Links (Control Arms)
SS extended brake lines

Wheels/ tires/ accessories
17" x 9" Level 8 Bully Pro Wheels from Discount tire
35x12.50x17r Goodyear MTR kevlar tires.

Past-
17” x 8.5” Trail Ready HD Bead Locks with Blue anodized World Series Rock Rings (w/ rock ring spacers)
35” x 12.5” 17R Pitbull Rockers (Tennis ball, golf ball and airsoft pellet balanced)

Spidertrax 1.25” Spacer- Rear only
ARB Airdown tool
ARB Compressor (See TC / Gearing)

Transfer Case/ Gearing
Marlin "Lefty" with 30 Spline CroMo Output shafts (Front and Rear), 23 Spline Competition 4.7.1 Gears and 4.0 Inchworm Adapter Plate. Installed with Tummy Tuck package- 4" additional break over clearance.
Nitro 4.56.1 Gears (Front and Rear)
8" ARB Air Locker- RD121 for 8" IFS Clamshell
ARB Compressor- Hi-output- CKMA12- 12 Volt w/ 2 Gallon reserve tank- Air lines plumbed to rear bumper with quick connect (also used to activate locker)

Armor/ Exterior
Front Bumper- Demello Aluminum Rally bumper
Rear Bumper- LoD with Tire Swing out- includes Hi-Lift mount, RotoPax mounts and tray
Briareos Bumper Mod
Bud Built 5 piece "Tummy Tuck" skids- PC Hammertone Grey
Bud Built Rear Differential Skid- PC Hammertone Grey
Demello X-Wing Heavy Duty kick out sliders
Rocktec Upper link armor
Outrider Lower link armor
FJToyman Shock armor
Aero Light Guards
Plastic fender removal
Pinch weld "correction"
BMC
Threadworkz Custom CB antenna Flags (Toyeti & Punisher)

Lighting (changing constantly)

New Headlights! A local friend made me a set of retro Bi-Xenon projectors!

I went and replaced everything for Baja Designs!!

2 pairs of the new bad ass XL-pro 80s in combo beam!!!
1 pair of the Squadron pro in wide cornering on the cowl mounts ( These will shock you! highly recommend)
1 pair of Squadron pro in amber wide corning.
1 pair of Squadron sports used as DRL/ cornering lights
1 pair of S2 pro mounted on rear bumper mounted on teflon washers and aim-able as needed from side light to rear lights.

Check out their website and PM Me for hook up price on them! --> Home of Off Road LED auxiliary lights and LED Light Bars

All my lights are controlled wireless from up to 250 feet away with this NSA Switch Panel This NSA unit is awesome! It makes having all these lights a breeze to turn on and off, check it out for sure!

OLD set up was-
1 Pair- Lightforce Blitz 240’s with yellow/ clear lens covers/diffusers spot/flood combo beam (REMOVED-sold already to a friend)
"1 Pair- Scorpion-LED 109 watt LED (5”)- flood beam-
1 Pair- Rigid Dually D2’s- euro beam-
1 Pair- PIAA LP530- LED lights in rear bumper

LA Trail Teams 10- Side Mirror Light Mod- Amber LED
Insanely bright interior leds! Amazon.com: LEMONBEST Pack of 4 New Energy-saving Vehicle White COB LED Dome Light Roof Lamp Car Interior Plate COB LED Light For Lighting In Car Reading Light: Automotive
also used as rock lights.

Recovery
ComeUP 9000 lb wireless winch with synthetic rope.
Warn Industries Winch selonoid shut off w/ remote switch
Custom made Aluminum Fairlead with my logo on it from Greg at https://www.facebook.com/gziladesigns?pnref=lhc

48” Hi-Lift Extreme
Hi-Lift Base
Rocktek Hi-Lift/ Slider adaptor
Bushranger X-Jack (AKA- The Orange Marshmallow)
ARB Premium Recovery (9000 Snatch block, Snatch strap, Tree saver, Winch extension, Shackles, winch line isolator and gloves)
Wheel chocks
RotoPax 4 x 2 Gallon gas cans
Trail Spare +2” CV (Total Chaos axle)
Additional Shackles

Sound system- 17 speakers
Pioneer AVH- P8400BH head unit
JL Audio XD600/6 600watt x 6 amplifier
JL Audio XD500/3 100watt x 2/ 300watt x 1 amplifier
JL Audio remote level controller
6 x 9" Focal Access 690 CA1 SG's 2-Way Coaxial speakers (Door)
TacoTunes 6 x 9" Speaker door mounts
3 1/2" Infinity Reference 3002CFX 2-Way Coaxial speakers- (Dash)
4" Focal Polyglass 100CVX 2-Way Coaxial speakers (Rear Pods)
4" VersaPod enclosures
3 1/2" Polk Audio DXi350 2-Way Coaxial speakers (Rear Pillar)
10" JL Audio 10TW3 Slimline Sub woofer
SubThump FJ Cruiser subwoofer enclosure
Kicker 4 gauge OFC wire- to amps and ground
100 amp AGU Fuses/ 50 amp MAXI fuses
12 gauge Monster speaker wire throughout- soldered connections
JL Audio power distribution block and Battery mount
Dynomat Xtreme Light- 20 sq ft- front doors
Fat Mat sound insulator- 100 sq/ft- floor/ walls/ remaining doors

Communication/ Audio
Cobra LX 29 Limited Edition -Post- 537
Astatic Noise Cancelling Microphone
4’ Firestik FS4 antenna
Firestik SS Spring
Quik-Disconnect
Bandi Mount
Astatic PDC1 SWR meter -(so you can help others tune their radios)
Wilson 801212 Dual Band Car Cell Phone Booster Antenna
Garmin Nuvi 500- Offroad GPS
Ultra gauge- OBD2 controller/ scanner

Engine/ Electric Other
TRD Drop-in filter
Megan SS catback exhaust- post 309
Dirty Parts Dual Battery Kit w/ Odyssey PC2150 battery and Sears Platinum Battery w/ Lots of booger weldz- post 505
Blue Sea Systems 3000HD battery switch/ single circuit On/Off- 600 amp continuous

Interior
PRP Podium Racing seats SOLD and replaced with Corbeau seats that I could fit into.
Metal Tech PRP seat brackets w/ SRS delete switch
Ellis Precision shifter handle- Stealth Black
Bones- Dead pedal replacement mod
Custom ARB locker/ Compressor switches
DIY- 12 Volt receptacle
SpringTail Side M-Pac Rack with Large MOLLE bag
SpringTail M-Pac- 1st Aid MOLLE Bag
TPMS light- always on (same with compass- hoping thy burn out soon)
Custom Aluminum Dead pedal - Bone Offroad
Interior grab handles- Gzilla Designs custom “Captures by Colin” logo in aluminum

Hayden: Any key modifications unique to only your FJ Cruiser?

Alex: Lots of stickers… No seriously though, I never wanted to have something everyone else saw. I always tried to take the road less travelled in modifications. From the Marlin Lefty, Custom RTC Stinger Bumper, LoD swing out bumper in the rear, AP Long Travel and custom rear suspension with bypasses. The PRPs were icing on the cake but some loved the onboard air system with quick-connects on the bumpers.

Colin: Quite a few things, most Alex did, some I have done. See above. lol

Hayden: What modification was your favorite or has been the most worth the money/time/effort that you’d recommend it to someone else?

Alex: The PRP Podium seats- avoided death grip on the steering wheel in way off camber situations. Always made the rocks easier and with 4600 miles in two weeks of epic adventure road trip/ wheeling extravaganza- They were surprisingly very comfortable. The Kill helmet was a close second… LOL.

Colin: I would say the Baja Design lights have finally satisfied my insatiable thirst for light at night!

Hayden: What upgrade was your least favorite, or what modification would you do differently if you had to do it over again?

Alex: I had two- The first was the whole gutting the rig to install a stereo that I never listen to. Nothing like blowing close to 5K on something you never even turned on and took days of my life away installing. While it did sound good- I guess I enjoyed the hum of tires and gears over tunes.
The second was a love/ hate with the 35” Pitbull Rocker tires. I loved that I was the only guy running them (for good reason as they tore up a lot of the fenders, plastics and just about anything else in the way of those massive tread blocks. They looked huge and were about the meanest looking tire you could find. The hate was how incredibly weak the side walls were. I lost two tires in under 8K miles I think and both were stupid sidewall punctures that would have easily been shrugged off by my old pizza cutter KM2s.

Colin: The PRP seats for a fat guy! LOL I had to take those out quick, plus the fact that you couldn't change the angle of the seat back. I would also skip the Headlight retrofit. They look cool, but really not worth it imo. Good thing I have lots of Baja Designs to make up for the light loss.

Hayden: What future modifications do you have planned for your FJC?

Colin: A new rear axle! I blew my rear spiders up at FJ Summit X, so I’m debating between a 9.5” Diamond axle or just going back to a stock with new 4.56 Nitros.

Hayden: Where all did you go with your FJC? What trail/park/location was your favorite?

Alex: Lots of places here in Texas- Texas Toyota Jamboree in Gilmer TX, The ill fated Wheeltoberfest in Marble Falls and a few meet and greets. On the Epic adventure, Mrs OC and I attempted to hit as many National Parks as possible in NM, AZ, CO and UT but were thwarted by the government shut down. We did find a lot of great state parks like Pink Coral Sands where the CR got the chance to rip in the dunes and let that pre-runner type suspension do what it was breed for. We also got to wheel with some great forum friends in Arizona and CO and of course at Summit. My greatest moments off roading was when I made it through the rock garden at the Jamboree (not many IFS rigs could make it through the whole run- I think just two of us did that year). The other was with FJess on a little lump of rocks that reportedly had only been done by one FJ in the past and they almost dumped it. The CR crawled up it like it was nothing. Made me realize how well sorted it was.

Hayden: Where all have you been with your FJC? What trail/park/location is your favorite?

Colin: I have been all over New Mexico with it, and all the Ouray Colorado area trails. I love poughkeepsie and Imogene pass, black bear was fun, but idk about going back. LOL

Hayden: What park/location that you have not been to yet would you like take your FJ too?

Colin: One word! MOAB! I can’t wait!

Hayden: Did anyone on the forum inspire your build or was a go to resource for you?

Alex: Texas Land Shark and Air to Air. Both blazed their own trails by doing something different than the rest.

Colin: I would say Alex’s build thread has been a great one to go back and read up on, as well as quite a few others.

Hayden: What was the most memorable experience with your FJ Cruiser?

Alex: Hanging out with Baz at Summit. You haven’t wheeled until you have a crazy Aussie yelling out the window at Poughkeepsie Wall “Where is this bloody hill??” as the CR creped up the wall without a slip of the tires.
The other would definitely be with Mrs OC on the Epic Adventure. Who knew trying to drive almost 5K in two weeks would make you giddy.
I would throw in one last one as it was a real testament to being prepared for recovery. One work day at an oil rig and a guy ended up having a flat so he though he wouldn’t be able to leave for his two weeks off (Tow trucks rarely came that far back off the road). I pulled out the “Orange marshmallow” and lifted his car, pulled off the wheel/tire, plugged it and refilled it with the PowerTank all while half the crew leaving were watching in amazement. The looks on their faces when the car lifted with exhaust gas was priceless. LOL

Colin: The most memorable would be right after going up the wall on Poughkeepsie, at the top of Hurricane pass! My awesome wife decided she wanted to be a Ninja Warrior and hang off the sign while I took pictures, well it ended badly with her having to get stitches!

Hayden: Was there a special reason of all the stickers you removed you’re your FJ before selling it that the one that remained was of Calvin and Hobbs flying in a box?

Alex: The Calvin and Hobbes was me and my wife (she the sensible red head and I the nutty impulse driven wacko) – the white box was the FJ. It seemed to be the perfect sticker that symbolized us and our journey together as the Crack Rock evolved. I actually left two stickers on the rig. The 2nd was the very funny “tribute” sticker that Demello Offroad made “In memory of…2007 to 2014”. Both were part of its lasting memory. One a tribute to its roots and the other to its demise LOL (J/K Colin- The CR lives on with a new owner. I was just speaking of the stickers humor)

Hayden: Do you ever plan on owning another FJ Cruiser?

Alex: Thought about it and what I would do differently. Definitely SAS with Atlas 4 speed, one tons and huge tires… Basically Sols rig LOL

Hayden: Any additional thoughts about your FJ or FJ Cruisers in general you’d like to share?

Alex: It was a great adventure and for me, being away most of the time, was like Christmas everytime I returned. Boxes piled up in the living room to great me and my next mod project. In the end, I think I enjoyed modification process. Seeing a project from start to finish by yourself of with some help, is very therapeutic not to mention, great training for when your CV boots fall off in a posh AZ parking lot (Thanks again Don for getting greasy with me), or changing a 123 lbs tire at 12500 ft (yea it felt like 400 lbs)- Thanks Jess and lastly- swapping a CV in record time at Gilmore with a great guy whose name was never given. In the end- the rig sat more than it rolled and for me it seemed sad to see it caged up. So off it went to NM and now CO with its new owner Colin. The only memories I have are the sticker that I could save now on my old garage freezer, my torn up and bent rock ring from my bead locks and the Power Tank system I never could sell.

Colin: I love it!

Last edited by FJX2000; 02-28-2017 at 09:37 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
4-Corners Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Rig of the Month March 2017: toyotacolin/Old Cruiser!!!

Here are some additional photos from Old Cruiser!

Making it through the Rock garden

White Rim Trail- Utah

Baz and the gang at Summit

Flexing it out with FJess in CO on the “Flopper”. Never met a person who could out wheel Jess. She is in a league of her own.

Just because- Flexy is sexy

Creeping through the stream in CO with FJess

Worth almost getting a ticket… LOL

Ripping rainbows on Pink Sands

Because I though this would be fun until the big truck almost creamed me…

Running the “Crack” at Broken Arrow backwards…for the second time because you dodnt want to see what happened on the first try. Lets just say Sliders and Lockers were my saviors that day from a very expensive mess. Thanks Don for the spot. The golf clap from the Pink Jeep tours was awesome.
Sorry for the heavy pictures but this rig was for me and many- a great resource of what to do (and in many cases – not how to do it…LOL) I did redeem myself with lots of helpful tips on Hi-Lifts and how to install PRP seats and who could forget the How to on Beadlocks and tires…
Thanks for the memories.

And here are photos from toyotacolin!

IMG_9456

IMG_3081sm

IMG_9244

20150721_144313

IMG_0491

IMG_0218

Here are those Ninja Warrior accident photos mentioned above as the most memorable moment
ouchy

IMG_0072fix

IMG_2151 v2sm

Last edited by FJX2000; 02-28-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Garage

Congrats toyotacolin/OC! I remember reading about the "CR Toyeti Build" quite a few years ago, before I had signed up. Around 2012. And also followed through your updates on the Epic Adventure. It inspired me to get out and go on my own trips! The stories you have with other FJC owners is really cool.

Colin those pictures are incredible. Especially the one with Telluride in the background on Black Bear. As over-the-top (in a good way) the CR was, it's interesting to watch it transform into your rendition as well. Hope you get her back up and running trails again soon!
Old Cruiser and toyotacolin like this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:29 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Garage

Congrats to both of you! This build was one of the first extreme builds I saw, and one of my favorites!

NESSIE, 2011 NSSE edition

-DO rally bumper (deer dent special)
-IronMan FCP coilovers
-OME cheap LT rear
-275/70r17 MTR/kevlar tires
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:07 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage

Nothing sadder then a finely built FJ getting striped down and sold. Thank you Colin for adopting Alex's FJ and giving it a good home. Adoption Rocks!

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him for ever.
爸爸龙
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:29 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage

Congratulations guys!

2012 Army Green "The Mule" / 2016 Black TE 4Runner "Black Betty"
My Build / My Adventures
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Garage

Congrats you two!
I remember reading Alex's buildup and adventures when I signed up on the forums in 2013. All those stickers were unreal! My favorite were the F Bombs. I think I even asked you about them.
I was jealous that Tanya got to borrow it for a week, then bummed when you decided to part ways with it.
The fact that a fellow FJ Forum member took on this great beast is a testament to his good taste, lol
Good Job Collin!
Get that rear fixed up and hit the trails

Proud owner of "Muddy", my 2013 Quicksand FJ.
http://www.txpedition.com

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Garage

Congrats OC and Colin... This rig has been an inspiration. And the photo's recalling the adventures it's had too.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...eddystone.html

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)

What a read! Thanks for sharing such epic journeys. This rig has become a legacy and hopefully I'll be able to read about it for years to come

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Forums Site Functions > Toyota FJ Cruiser News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.