Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Here’s What People Are Saying About the Toyota FT-4X (NSFW)

47K views 51 replies 37 participants last post by  FolsomJ 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
TJCruiserForums.com - The Largest Toyota TJ Cruiser Forum And Community!

The 2017 New York Auto Show saw the debut of a new concept vehicle from Toyota, called the FT-4X, but the teaser may have given off the wrong impression to off-road fans.

Thanks to that teaser and the name, the car built expectations of serious off-road cred, but the final reveal had us looking at something that’s kind of like a Jeep Renegade crossed with a Honda Element.

Needless to say, the cult of Toyota off-roading fans weren’t amused. With this concept car riding on the same TNGA platform shared with the C-HR and Prius, it’s clearly not as hardcore as something like an FJ Cruiser.
Read more about Here’s What People Are Saying About the Toyota FT-4X (NSFW) at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe Toyota is not thinking about the true off road enthusiasts who have a desire to see something REAL in an offroad format to challenge the Rubicon. Toyota could really make an impact on that sector if they got out of their traditonal/ conservative ideology of what the market calls for. They could bring in a new model of the old school fj 40 and make it a modern day true off road competitor that would blow away the Rubicon in quality and reliability. As long as Toyota continues to stay in their old mindset there will be no fresh ideas to truly quench the thirst of the American true offroaders who want alternatives to what the market offers here. This new FT-4X Concept will not satisfy the folks who were hoping for Toyota to offer up anything to replace the discontinued FJ Cruiser.
WE wait.

#4 ·
I believe Toyota is not thinking about the true off road enthusiasts who have a desire to see something REAL in an offroad format to challenge the Rubicon. Toyota could really make an impact on that sector if they got out of their traditonal/ conservative ideology of what the market calls for.
To be honest the offroad market is tiny. They'd rather appeal to the people who think taking a dirt road is offroading which is 90% of people. The folks on this forum who actually use their vehicles to the extreme represent 2% of car buyers and know better than to expect the concept to be good offroad, but true offroad capability just doesn't matter to anyone else.

#7 ·
I'm a really big guy and I had an old 4Runneer that worked for me, but the FJ was like the difference between a small truck and a full sized truck as far as room and headroom for me when I first sat in one. I loved it. I wanted a new Tacoma and it was just too cramped. The width with the console was narrow, the windshield felt like it was in my face, and I only had like 1" maybe 2" between my head and the roof. I ended up with the Tundra and it was a lot more roomy and for almost the same price as the Tacoma too.

Umm......I thought the 4Runner looked completely different than any other vehicle in that class out there what with the carp mouth grill on it. >:D

#8 ·
I thought so too but she hated the grille. I told her it'd look fine after we winch bumper and expedition oned the heck out of it, roof rack and all the goodies, and her reply was we have an FJ that is already all preppered out, why buy another one, so I bought the Tacoma and she stole my FJ. :lol: I'm still thinking of buying another one when the time and fundage presents itself. :cheers:

#9 ·
Here is what I shared in another thread:

I personally don't think the FT-4X looks too bad. Cooler than the Jeep equivalent! Which is the Renegade in my opinion, I would not say it is in competition to the Bronco or to Jeep Wranglers AT ALL like what some people anticipated.

I understand it has a purpose for why it was built but it is no FJ, and when you try to compare the 2 of course you'll be disappointed. If I wanted a little more capable vehicle that had 4WD for going on weekend trips down dirt roads to lakes and camping spots and stuff but didn't want to commit to a true off-road vehicle and wanted to save on gas mileage I would probably take this into serious consideration, which is exactly why it was built. " #spontaneous #adventurous #youngpeople " is what they said about the FT-4X and I think it fits that bill.

And of course it is a concept car, let's not forget that. It has already been said there are no plans on making it a reality but even if it did, only some of the features of the concept would carry over. It does have a lot of "unique" ideas but just look at how "out there" the 2003 FJ concept was, it had a lot of non-practical ideas just like the FT-4X. So I don't know why the FT-4X is getting so much hate, probably because everyone just wanted it to be the next FJ... which it isn't.

Let's just deal with the fact that it definitely isn't the "FJ Cruiser replacement" everyone thought it might be and put it in its own little world, which in this case is right along-side the RAV4. The longer and more you compare it to the FJ Cruiser the more and more disappointed you'll be.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
#13 ·
FT 4X as everyone has mentioned, will never replace FJ or even be a "serious" 4X4, being a uni-body constructed vehicle! It might sell enough units, ala Juke, Soul, Element: but predict won't last long, just as these 3 examples. My concern is if Toyota builds it and it flops after initial success, Toyota will likely reach the wrong conclusion, that public doesn't care about 4x4 vehicles anymore; rather than customers aren't buying "this" as any sort of authentic 4x4! Surely, Toyota's marketing research deoartment realizes that few actually use the off road capabilities at all; or minimally; but do buy the "image" and some buy the "what's possible" with current "state of the art"
4x4 technology. Just look at how many 4 Runners are sold in 2wd, compared to 4wd, still has "image", if not capability.

What do Land Rover/Range Rover ads depict, not the Rodeo Drive or Palm Beach Worth Avenue cruising: but the technology that gives them 4x4 performance. Having the "capability" makes them feel better, not thinking, far removed, from the millions who buy a self protection firearm and never train, nor practice with it; but they "feel better" having it! New Bronco and Ranger from Ford, says they are willing to take a run at traditional Jeep market that sells a tough looking product: but lousy quality and reliability! If anybody is positioned to take on Jeep, it is Toyota with their history of capable, reliable, 4x4's: but seem too timid to take on biggest volume seller Jeep?

Maybe we can hope, as Supra is finally coming back after being last sold new in 1998? The latest MKIV version still has a cult following just like old FJ: but Toyota seems not to be able to capitalize on that reputation and loyalty, as Jeep has done?

#27 · (Edited)
I see Jeep Rubicons and 4Runners and FJs being used by women hauling kids all the time to soccer and school.

There is no longer a definition on the soccer van.

I usually see men driving minivans and small four door sedans like Corolla or Camry to work.. :lol:

Pick up trucks? If it is a nice looking four door pickup, a man or woman will be in there on way to soccer.

#19 ·
Autoweek posted this humorous and on point description:

Let’s get this out of the way: The Toyota FT-4X concept, just unveiled at the New York auto show, is not the second coming of the FJ40 (sorry). Its stance and dimensions suggest that it’s a ruggedized, reskinned C-HR crossover at its core.

What sets it apart? Why, its Rugged Charm Persona™, which makes it perfectly suited for what Toyota sees as the emerging field of Casualcore Exploration™.

In other words, it’s Toyota’s take on the Jeep Compass -- a unibody trucklet aimed squarely at the more adventurous edge of the burgeoning compact crossover field. It has just enough off-road attitude (and, presumably, an advanced all-wheel-drive system) to convince its urbanite owners that they can peel out of gridlock and get into the great outdoors at the drop of a hat.

- There’s plenty of clever storage, plus cargo hooks to tie down larger items!
- In-cabin vents can be rotated to point into dashboard coves, which lets you dry off wet gear!
- The door handles are removable water bottles, which doesn’t make much sense but is still sort of cool!
- In-cabin lighting can be popped out and used as flashlights!
- The dome light converts into some sort of emergency beacon in case you prosecute your adventure a little too aggressively!
- In a cross-branding exercise with higher-than-average functionality, the armrest is a North Face sleeping bag!
- The audio system pops right out of the car’s center console and can be used as a boom box!
- There are heated and cooled boxes for gear and/or snacks in the rear hatch!

Read more: Toyota FT-4X concept revealed at the 2017 New York auto show

There is a lot of irony and sarcasm in there, but is sounds all about right to me.
Norm

#20 ·
Frankly, I think it is hideous. Fugly is what we would say back in the day. As far as gentrified off-road vehicles, most of the people that might buy them will never take them off the hard top. So it is all a bit silly. Might seem nuts, but I bet if Toyota brought back a true off-road utility vehicle (original FJ-40) with modern conveniences, they would do land office business. By the same token, I bet there are several million folks that would like to see someone offer a small utility pick up truck. Why does every PU have to be some huge grill and frame monstrosity?

#22 ·
yea, I was just having a similar thought.

As this is the concept car, will it be possible that they give it a little more 4x4 cred in the final version?

What would you have to do to that base design to get there?

Bigger tire wells and / or modifiable fenders?

drop the gimmicks (sleeping bag in the console, water bottles, etc.).

Perhaps they do a stripped down version for the international market. Cheaper price point, more modifiable, modular type design.

#24 ·
It would be easy to americanize the current stable of Toyota down under/Asia/South American type heavy duty off road vehicles for us (Hilux?).
Since we are a small off road market, these types of vehicles made legal for our market could give the Jeep products a run for the money.
I like my FJ, but I do lust for a newer solid axle vehicle or IFS vehicle that is beefier than the FJ.

Toyota....there is a market for this type of vehicle....
You want our money, build the right product...
The aftermarket guys would be all over it....
Win Win for everyone....
Just my 2 cents.....

#33 ·
I don't think you can Americanize the hilux without a lot of investment (probably to the point it is no longer a hilux really), because the vast majority are diesel (they are all diesel where i live now) but built to Euro 5 emission standards (yea, not sure what that difference is in terms of motor). From what I understand is the Euro 5 emission standard, also typically means a national Euro 5 diesel fuel standard that contaminates less.

I think the even bigger hold-up for toyota to the american culture of blinging out vehicles before they leave the lot (options on options), vs. say leaving a work truck a work truck. Nice and basic.

Where I live in south america, Toyota (and nissan) pick-ups, pretty much crush the sales of all other pick-up manufactures combined. For every Ford or GM pick-up on the road, there has got to be an easy 10+ Hilux; and, honestly, from a reliability stand-point, I would buy a used hilux before buying a new U.S. pick-up. You almost never see an american vehicle on the road with more than 100,000 miles on them, and their resale value drops like a rock once they leave the lot. Their reputation for reliability is none-existent, and the GM and Ford dealerships here have a horrible reputation for sticking it to their customers when something goes wrong (not honoring their warranties, taking deposits and going out of business). Hard to build any brand-loyalty, when you spend all your time coming up with new and creative ways to rip off your customers.

With that sort of secure market position outside the U.S. for Toyota, I can see them not being in a terrible rush to sell a hand-full more pickups in a market that the competitors have a government sanctioned monopoly supporting them, and to compete costs a lot more per unit.

#25 ·
By the way, this prototype version sucks Toyota....

#29 ·
What a disappointment. Their concept missed the mark even for those of us who are just dirt roaders. Only 2 doors on the sides makes it difficult to put my dogs in the back seats; love the FJ suicide doors. Looks like a KIA wannabe and not retro like the FJ. This will just make the FJ a classic.

#30 ·
"The Capable Toyota FT-4X Concept " really Toyota???

Ok... What the hell... Here we have jeep making Rubicon, now Ford coming out with Bronco .. I'm thinking maybe Toyota is coming out with a new and improved FJ Cruiser, with steel bumper, solid front axle.. lockers, sway bar disconnect .. and all the other goodies we need to hit the hard trails.. but noooo.. they show us basically a Kia... Not sure if I'm the only one who feels like this about this FT.......... ? Dont get me wrong, I love my FJ... But I think we all agree there's a few things we wish Toyota changed on FJ

Attachments

#34 ·
This concept shouldnt even be on the radar for 4x4 guys.

This would sell well to the masses though.

And that is what Toyota wants. Cash flow and profits.

I hope they build something like the FJ again someday but with the way things are heading, I won't hold my breath.

Boring cars that self drive are the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.