Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Is the FJC your first Toyota?

Is the FJC your first Toyota?

185K views 1K replies 956 participants last post by  Fj-bear! 
#1 ·
After reading many posts on this board, it's occured to me that this must be the first Toyota for some of you. All the...
..."is it supposed to do that"...
..."wow, that felt weird"...
..."what is that"....
posts that I thought were just everyday driving things (this is my 3rd yota).

Just curious :)

#2 · (Edited)
I group up in a home with an FJ 40 and an FJ 62, but my dad paid for those and upgraded the bumpers, added additional tow / recovery points, custom roof rack, and we always had a bad ass winch and BFG tires. He now has a Tundra.

But this is my first Toyota that I paid for :)

Edit: Listing are we?

1957 Chev Bel Air (Grade 11, Grade 12, sold in first year university) (1988-90)
1976 Datsun B210 (student years part 1)
1978 Datsun B210 GX (student years part 2)
No car for a few years while living in 2 cities (NYC and Vancouver) and living my life on planes and rental cars around the world)
2001 Audi S4
2007 FJ Cruiser

#27 ·
1957 Chev Bel Air (Grade 11, Grade 12, sold in first year university) (1988-90)
1976 Datsun B210 (student years part 1)
1978 Datsun B210 GX (student years part 2)
No car for a few years while living in 2 cities (NYC and Vancouver) and living my life on planes and rental cars around the world)
2001 Audi S4
2007 FJ Cruiser
Cool! My first car was a 1980 Datsun 210 (not a 'B') sedan. I bought it for $500, drove it for two years. Did everything to destroy that car, including jumping it, *offroading* ;), drifting before it was called drifting, and countless other things only a kid-not-in-his-right-mind would do (it will land right if jumped from a loading dock, as long as there's no last-minute hesitation...WARNING: don't try that at home, kids). I never changed the oil, but rather filled it back up whenever the oil light would come on (often after several days). Occasionally when that happened, I would change the filter, too. Never had much trouble with it. Tore the hand brake right out of the sheetmetal once (bolts still attached to the car body!) over a girl. First car sex. :D Anyway, all that and I ended up selling it for $550. Great car. Indestructable. Well, almost. A buddy of mine hesitated with his at the loading dock! ;)

#3 ·
It most certainly is my first Toyota. I'd never set foot on the lot of a foreign automaker before the FJC. I even kept my k1500 extend cab just in case I had regrets after I bought it. I had trouble getting the windshield wipers to work when driving it home. Still not real fond of those controls but I know where they are.

#306 ·
I agree with your assessment of the controls. Why have nice big hvac controls and make everything else in the cab tiny or awkward to use? I would like the controls for the headlights to be in-line with the hvac and incorporate the telescopic steering wheel from the tacoma...along with adding some decent freaking paint colors. The knobs for the factory base stereo look elfish and are ridiculously tiny when compared with the heater controls. If Toyota fixes these glaring design flaws that would be great...

#5 ·
Thought I would be a life-long Subaru guy... The FJ is a nice change of pace :)

Edit: I did always want that Toyota pickup from Back To The Future...

--Bill

#8 ·
68 Pontiac Firebird
69 Pontiac Firebird
67 Pontiac Firebird
78 Pontiac Trans Am
80 Honda cvcc
70 Volvo E64?
92 Saturn SL2
97 Dodge Dakota
2000 Mazda Miata
2002 Ford Ranger
2004 Dodge Quadcab
2007 FJC

#9 · (Edited)
1992 Lexus SC400 aka Toyota Soarer
2000 MR2 Spyder (oh so heavily modded)
2007 FJC

Ah if we're just listing cars...

1992 Lexus SC400
1993 Cadillac Eldo (4.6L N*)
2000 MR2 Spyder
2004 Lancer Ralliart
2004 Dodge Durango
2005 Subaru Legacy GT
2007 FJC

My vehicles. Not something mommy or daddy let me drive every once and a while.

#11 ·
I had a little toyota pickup in undergrad. This is my first new vehicle (unless you count the Honda mini van for my family...I don't) and my first vehicle with 4-wheel drive. Before that, I had never paid more than $2500 for a car. When I told my wife I needed this truck, she said that I ceratinly had a bunch of car karma built up for all of the junkers I have driven.

#14 ·
Ah, the mystique of the Toyota...yep, had an '82 2wd pickup, 4cyl, manual that would go almost anywhere. Many friends have had them and beat the daylights out of 'em and they seemed not to mind.

#17 ·
63 vw ragtop - high school gone
87 vw jetta - high school gone
66 mustang gt "k-271", bench seat, 4 spd - out of high school gone, to a lucky collector
87 buick regal - college gone
92 toyota 2wd pick-up - college gave it to my brother
93 honda civic - college gone
92 lexus ls400 - working man gone
03 nissan frontier double cab supercharged - working man gone
92 honda accord - working man donated to a drug rehad person
94 toyota tercel - working man still have
02 996 carrera cab - working man still have
07 toyota fj - working man still have
03 hussar moped - working man still have

i have to say, the fj is making me happy so far! aloha

#18 ·
The 88 4rnr...

Ahh yes... The 85' Class3 Race Truck...

#20 ·
Well since we are listing

1972 Dodge Powerwagon with a 440.
1971 CJ-5 Renegade II
1971 CJ-5

1956 Ford F-100
1962 International Scout Desert Race Truck.
These two combined and it was the scout frame with the F-100 body.

1984 Ford Bronco
1996 Chevy Tahoe
1997 Chevy 3/4 ton burb (still have)
1967 Corvette (still have)
2004 Honda Accord (still have)
2007 FJ Cruiser (daily driver)
1965 FJ-40 (still have)

#21 ·
All of my rigs have been Toyotas and GM's.

I'm more of a Land Cruiser man, but Toyota has ruined that line so the FJC is the only suitable alternative short of importing a 2 Door Prado or a Troupie.

I had a 60, a 01 4Runner, I currently have a 40, and my uncle has found me a used FJC to replace my wrecked one--it should get here soon. I managed to salvage some of the parts from the dead vehicle.

I'm used to Toyotas, so I have a love/hate relationship with the company, having owned a z71 2 door Tahoe and driving a 2500 series Silverado and knowing what the competition is capable of.

When I was getting the FJC I came close to getting an Xterra--it's an okay rig, but not to my taste.

#24 ·
My first is still around, it's an '89 Toyo P/U Xtra Cab 4WD. I bought it off my father in law. It looks like glass, always garaged and it only has 69K original miles. it would make you cry

#29 ·
'79 Celica
'80 Corolla
'75 FJ40
'89 4Runner
'90 4Runner
'07 FJ Cruiser

#31 ·
First Toyota??? Hell No....

Im not going thru my older 'hooptie' list of past vechicles...

Here is my CURRENT Toyota stable....

Project Angry....89 4runner SAS, ARB up front, Detroit in rear, 35" BFG MTR's, Bobby Longfield axle shafts, 5.29 gears, 22re EFI, Trail gear SAS kit 6" front and Trail gear rear kit 6" rear....

Then there is the Angry Tacoma....

97 Xtracab SAS, Dana 44 up front, PORC axle shafts, CTM U-joints, Parts mike Super knuckles, ARB front and rear, 35" MTR's., Marlin 'Ultimate" crawler (225:1 ratio in uber low), sirens, strobes, super angry sound system, Front Range Offroad crossmember, Bentup bumpers front, rear, sliders....warn M8000 winch...and a lot more I cant think of.

And OFFRD_GRL looks HOT driving it on the Rubicon...

And the Angry FJ of course....

Bentup front winch bumper with Warn M8000, bentup rear bumper, bentup sliders (soon replaced with Bentup/Ruffstuff sliders).... 285 MTR's, Toyota black steelies, Uber Angry Stereo setup, bandi mount, Cobra CB, Revtek 3" lift (soon replaced by Skyjacker lift),

#32 ·
Yeah. I am going to borrow my daughter's camera. She has a digital. Then she will have to teach how to download and post pics. I've gotten fairly good with thumbnail attachments, but never have gotten the hang of just posting a full size photograph, even one already on another website. I hope no one tries for my record. It will be 131 days since I signed the agreement with the dealer and 1500+ posts. With that much plowed ground and no crop (until tomorrow) I surely get the dumba$$ award on the forum.

#33 ·
1990 Landcruiser
1996 Landcruiser
2001 Landcruiser
2005 4Runner
2007 FJ Cruiser
2005 Prius (my wife's)
2006 Matrix (my son is considering)

Toyotas are the best !! :rocker:

#34 ·
Like, it's in the sig, man...

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

My Toy:
'07 FJC VooDoo MT/6 , Conv package + TRD Exhaust + Passenger Armrest

Mods to Date:
BFG Mud Terrain 285/70-17 - Siped (YES...they rub <g>)
Eagle Alloy Series 102 17x9
20% Tint
Disconnected DRL
Removed Badges
Sylvania SilverStar Headlights
Temporarily removed front mudflaps (Before they get RIPPED off)
Stick-on Bubble Mirrors

My Past Toys:
==>'90 DLX SC/SB 4x4 on 4" ProComp front/4" NWOR leaf spring lift, 33x12.5 BFG Mud, 4.88 gears, NWOR Cat-back/Header/Test Pipe, K&N Filtercharger
(Was sad to see it go...put over 150k on it and loved every minute)
==>'85 SR5 SC/LB 4x4
(First Toy. Beat to living hell...I *TRIED* to blow it up, and couldn't do it!)
==>'75 FJ-40, Dune Beige
(Killed the engine and had to let it go....still have a pic pinned to the wall in my office!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.