Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Converting Google Earth to Garmin?

19K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Jim1960 
#1 ·
So I love the look of google earth and it seems that everyone is using it for trails these days. is there a way to take a google earth file and convert it for use on a garmin?
Also I am new to Google Earth I have the trails from FJCruiser Mag from Shane4X4 and they are great. Is there a way to view the coord in a list for each trail or to convert the kml file?
Thanks for any help.:cheers:

#2 ·
Sort answer - no.

Reason - very different formats. Garmin uses vector based data and Google, Delorme and a number of others use image based data.

You can find waypoints (point of interest), export them and import them into Gramin but most of the navigation/mapping companies have their own proprietary process and data because they want you buying their goods.

#5 ·
Great Program that is just what I needed. It seems to work 4.0 I took the Google Earth tracks and waypoints and bam they are now on my GPS. Thanks that could have taken all week and we only have one week to go. See you all at the summit.
:rocker::bigthumb:

#8 ·
Just saw the thread, and I see the problem is solved. So just want to point to the "navigation software thread" - also in this same section (Trail Navigation Files).:wave:

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.