Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Airstream Basecamp

44K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  CurbCrawler 
#1 ·
Anyone tow an Airstream Basecamp trailer behind their FJ? - this must rate as the coolest setup.:rocker:

#3 ·
Deja Vu... http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trailers-towing-tech/81979-airstream-basecamp-trailer.html

A BaseCamp would would look nice behind an FJ Cruiser. I think the BaseCamp was only made for a couple years ('07-'08). It sort of missed its target because people who would use it for toy-hauling/kayaking/camping could really only take it as far as the KOA, and many who could afford the $23k price tag were looking for something with more room. I like them, though. IIRC they upgraded the axle from 2500lbs to a 3000lb-rated unit on the later models.

Part of the high cost was the molded composite structure, which I thought was pretty cool...

#5 ·
SoCal Tear drops sell wood walled trailers bare bones for 15,000.00. A Airstream is top of the line desgin, manufacturing and materials.

Having built trailers for a long time, some seem to think they are an easy project, but most do not make the normal business mark up in them. Some make way more than normal mark up, but I doubt Air Stream is one of them.

They pretty much have a life time warranty and are very easy to deal with when there is a problem. I actually worked on one a few years back. It was nearly 15 years old and the outer skin was developing some type of occidation problem. They reskinned the trailer at no cost. You pay for what you get normally.

#8 ·
Thank you Rainman, I appreciate your comments, but my trailer is not on the level of the Air Stream, they are truly the best trailers made. I see some running around that have been on the road 40 years. It is a great company. I am not a fan of the look, but their base camp was a thing of beauty, it is sad it did not make it.

#9 ·
I agree, it's a shame. tHE airstream basecamp is a thing of beauty. I also agree that your trailer is not on the same level. Your trailer is built to last. It's on the same level there. But it will go far and beyond where the airstream can go. No disrespect to airstream... it's just too damn nice and tame for what I want and need.

I respect your modesty... but, come on now!!!

THAT'S NOT A BASE CAMP.... THAT'S A FREAK'N SUMMITCAMP!!!! :rocker:

#10 ·
The 'big Cylon helmet' look of the little Airstream (relatively speaking) trailer was definitely polarizing but it's always great to see design ideas looking in new directions. The http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/trailers-towing-tech/136870-opera-trailer.html blew us all away, and Bob's own Ouray Base Camp trailer is a prime example of looking at an established idea in a different way, albeit a bit less extreme in design and execution. But then simplicity is its own strength, isn't it, Bob? :bigthumb:

In this day and age of $$$$ computers being deemed 'obsolete' in a couple of years and a new must-have gadget coming out every six months, the idea that you can still buy something that you can plan to have for the rest of your life and possibly hand it down is almost lost. Even though I don't ride anymore and I will probably never own another horse, when Dad is gone I will have a couple of really nice saddles because he always tells me 'buy it once, buy it right.' In my mind there are a few less things in the world you can apply that logic to with each passing day. Apologies if my 'Capt. Tangent' alter-ego overstayed his welcome there...

The AirStream BaseCamp probably also came to market at just the wrong time, heading into an economic downturn that has seen so many niche product manufacturers scale back or close their operations altogether. Maybe some day they can bring it back. It's not like that design will look dated anytime soon.

:cheers:

#32 ·
Very beautiful, it reminds me of the Calatrava Art Museum in Milwaukee when it opens its "wings"

#13 ·
I am needing some input on things to load up my basecamp with. I havent seen a better site to ask such a question at, so here it goes, I am building an Airstream Basecamp from discontinued parts from salvage and I want it to be more or less a multi purpose trailer / Survival / short duration home on wheels and very basic, to pull behind my FJC. I just dont want to miss anything and I know there are a ton of ideas out there. I have the extra fuel, lead and refreshments worked out (pretty important stuff) But since Im starting from scratch, nows the time to ask. Heres the Deal,, Airstream discontinued the basecamp a couple of years ago and my Brother and I were lucky enough to learn that they were going to crush the last of the bodys and scrap all the big parts used in the build, so when it was all over my Brother and I ended up with two of them before the crusher came and distroyed the rest. We wernt so lucky to get them for free and scrap prices are high, but it wasnt a bad deal we thought. But we wernt quick enough to salvage the precut aluminum panels but thats ok, I would rather have it match my FJ anyway, So black aluminum it will be. We actully found the 20 inch OME rims at a RV salvage parts store in northern Indiana, man that was a lucky find,,Ill try and attach some pics of the build. And pics later when the rig is all lined up with the FJ. Since this is a winter project ill use this build as an excuse to get out of the house this winter, and use the whole season too I suppose.

Attachments

#14 ·
At least with a Teardrop you get a potty

#23 ·
The Air Stream was ahead of its time I think. Great design, but not truly and off road trailer. Great for the KOA and some tame fire roads. Expedition camping is a different thing all together. To me if it can go down Rose Garden Hill or do Carvacre trail, it is an off road trailer. John Bull fits the pattern to. Never seen another enclosed trailer on any of those trails.

Have not been on the forum much lately. Work has kept me too busy building micro wave towers. May be starting another trailer in September, replacement for mine. Not building them for sale. Too much work and time and money to justify passing it on. If I build it, I have some plans to make it more self efficient, fuel cell, panels embedded in the roof, 50 gallons of water. A little different look. Hopefully time will free up to play with another one.

#25 ·
Yeah, they've made some changes, but they're 35 grand now. A whole different ballgame.

Attachments

#26 ·
It's an Airstream - there are no cheap ones.

More than a few changes - the old was basically a toy hauler. This is a full-fledged travel trailer, with a shower and everything. Also, it actually has the largest bed of any Airstream trailer - 76" x 76". That's the same width as a normal king size bed and only 4" shorter. Even the $146,000 Land Yacht doesn't have a bed that big. As a tall guy with a tall wife, that's a big factor.

#27 ·
76"? What do you do if you are taller than 6'4"? If you're single you can sleep diagonal, but that is more difficult with a partner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.