Towing boat/trailer without trailer brakes? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trailers and Towing Tech This sub-section is the place to discuss all things trailer and towing related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Towing boat/trailer without trailer brakes?

Hi guys, looking at a new to me FJ and am concerned about it's towing ability.

To give you an idea, I currently tow with a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2WD I6 motor. Weighs only 3500 pounds, 105.9in wheelbase. That's all I've ever towed with, so I guess I don't know what it feels like to tow with a full truck.

My boat setup is a 17" Bass boat + motor + gear, that weighs in at 1650 pounds + trailer which I would guess maybe 600 pounds? The trailer is a single axle with no brakes, which is not uncommon for 17"-20" smaller boats.

Doesn't the manual technically say over 2K lbs you need to have trailer brakes? To be honest, if I was able to tow in my 94 grand cherokee I'd have to think that even the FJ would do a better job.

Thoughts? This may make/break my deal today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Forum Veteran

Supporting Member
Re: Towing boat/trailer without trailer brakes?

I towed my 21' ski boat for a full summer, 160mi round trip to the lake and back. The boat with trailer weighed 5200lbs. The surge brakes did not work on the trailer. The FJ pulled it just fine. Stopped just fine also but of coarse extra caution was needed. I doubt 2000lbs will feel like much of a load at all behind the FJ.

07 FJ Voodoo Blue (The Nostromo)

TLCA# 18990
KF7QGC
#3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 99 Post(s)

Brakes might be nice, but with that weight you could get by. I'd just keep it a little slower and leave more room.

A grilled cheese, please!
#4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM

(Thread Starter)

Great, thanks!
#5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
res0n0xg previously said: View Post
Hi guys, looking at a new to me FJ and am concerned about it's towing ability.

To give you an idea, I currently tow with a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2WD I6 motor. Weighs only 3500 pounds, 105.9in wheelbase. That's all I've ever towed with, so I guess I don't know what it feels like to tow with a full truck.

My boat setup is a 17" Bass boat + motor + gear, that weighs in at 1650 pounds + trailer which I would guess maybe 600 pounds? The trailer is a single axle with no brakes, which is not uncommon for 17"-20" smaller boats.

Doesn't the manual technically say over 2K lbs you need to have trailer brakes? To be honest, if I was able to tow in my 94 grand cherokee I'd have to think that even the FJ would do a better job.

Thoughts? This may make/break my deal today.
Just because you can do something, doiesn't nessasarly mean you should. I've seen the aftermath of towing a trailer and not having adiquate brakes. NOt pretty. In an everyday driving with PLANNED stops, generaly your fine. Its when you have those emergency stops of someone cutting you off, or something suddenly poping out in front of you that you quickly find out the benifit of having propper brakes.

Quote:
toyo22r previously said: View Post
I towed my 21' ski boat for a full summer, 160mi round trip to the lake and back. The boat with trailer weighed 5200lbs. The surge brakes did not work on the trailer. The FJ pulled it just fine. Stopped just fine also but of coarse extra caution was needed. I doubt 2000lbs will feel like much of a load at all behind the FJ.
I'd question what "stopped just fine" really is. That's alot of extra weight to have behind you to just stop just fine. That might work going back and forth to the boat ramp, but a 160mile trip isn't safe. (in realitiy, a trip to the boat ramp isn't safe, but at least its a short trip at low speeds)

You should be fine, but bottom line is if the manual says you need brakes, then you need brakes. I like this forum just like the next memeber, but our opinions aren't going to surpase Toyota's specs.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Trailers and Towing Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.