Factory Hitch - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Trailers and Towing Tech This sub-section is the place to discuss all things trailer and towing related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Factory Hitch

Hello, I was thinking of purchasing an FJ Cruiser but I have run into a quandary. I would like to have a trailer hitch on the back of the vehicle and I definitely wanted the factory hitch that hooks into the frame behind the bumper and has the plastic insert.

However, every new vehicle I have seen in the Mississippi dealerships have hitches that hooks to the undercarriage with and sit quite a bit lower than the bumper. When I asked the person at the dealership whether they installed that hitch themselves he just looked at me blankly and said that it’s the factory hitch. So I called the national Toyota number today and asked the rep over the phone whether the old OEM hitches still were sold on new vehicles and whether they are compatible with the 2013 models. He said they all hook to the undercarriage now. I asked him if this was a recent change and why they changed it. He said it was probably a change with the new model.

So my question is whether this true or whether these people don’t know talking about. Does Toyota not sell that OEM hitch that attaches behind the bumper on the new models anymore and only sells the undercarriage hitch? Would a kit from a previous year work on a 2013?

Thanks

Last edited by Layonnn; 11-07-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Forum Superstar

I am not sure about the the 2013 FJs but I would be suprised if the frame got changed in any way that would not permit the OEM style hitch to be mounted.

Even in 07 when I got mine, a lot of FJs had the Reese hitch that mounts below the frame from the dealer. Maybe you can find one that doesnt have a hitch and then get the OEM hitch from a separate vendor (got my hitch from TRDparts4u.com, a forum supporting vendor).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

'07 VB FJ 6MT, 3'' OME, 285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 16x8 ATX Chamber Teflons, Demello Front Bumper, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Lightforce 170s, Trail Gear sliders, SCUBA Mod and some other minor doodads...

The Ultimate Toolbox: Duct tape - For things that move but shouldn't; WD40 - For things that don't move but should.

My build
#3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 AM
"I've got more hair and I'm sexier than Old Cruiser"

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Factory Hitch

I haven't seen anything listed about a change either. It might have to do with Mississippi being a part of the southeast group of dealers as they add a bunch of aftermarket stuff to their vehicles down there.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would suggest crawling under and having a look at the rear most cross member, there should be pre drilled holes with welded nuts inside for the hitch. If i remeber right i think it's 2 on the bottom, those would be a dead give away and couple of the back you might be able to have s look in or probe.

If you have the captured nuts order the kit and away you go.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Jollyroger, you are experiencing Gulf States Toyota and their crappy way of doing business.

The person you spoke to was either lying to you or has no idea what he is talking about, or both, they are car salesmen.

Gulf States Toyota - this is the entity that buys/ships all the Toyotas in the southeast region of the country.

I have not seen one FJ Cruiser or 4Runner at a dealership with an OEM Toyota factory hitch. They are always equipped with aftermarket Reese style hitches. They have the same rating as the OEM hitch (5K lbs), and always sold on the window sticker as an "OEM" hitch, they are not. (I went through this same debacle when i bought my FJ and left their dealership a negative review for.) My guess as to why they do this is that they can make substantially more profit off selling the aftermarket hitch as "OEM" than they can selling the Toyota made one. The majority of folks out there buying will not know the difference, and that is what they are hoping for.

Since there are no changes to the 2013 i am aware of, everything from a previous year model should work.
Your only real options are:
Tell them you want them to remove the hitch since it is not OEM Toyota.
Show them what an OEM hitch and valance is and make them install it.
Buy it with it and replace it yourself with the correct one.

This is what the OEM hitch and valence should look like.

This is what the aftermarket versions look like. They hang down much further reducing departure angle and are heavier, more unsightly.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623

Last edited by Layonnn; 11-07-2012 at 01:56 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
"I've got more hair and I'm sexier than Old Cruiser"

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage

That's what I was trying to say, but couldn't remember their name. I know people have problems with things like that and they would have options that were called factory that weren't offered by the factory too.

I stopped by the local dealer and looked at the new 2013 Magma that they just got in and it was parked with a 2012. They looked identical in the rear bumper area as far as I could tell. I couldn't crawl up under to check there, but I'm pretty sure it's the same as it's always been.

#7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 PM

(Thread Starter)

Hey thanks a lot for the tips everyone, you guys are awesome. I figured the salespeople were feeding me line of bull. I'll check out under the bumper and look for the predrilled holes.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 AM
Forum Regular

^ FYI, I was just at the dealer a couple of weeks ago (in NC... so still a part of the SE) and they are still selling the OEM hitch that installs to the frame with the valance. I'd say buy one online if your local dealer is jerking you around...

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Trailers and Towing Tech

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.