Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Shacks TC Teardrop build thread

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  esquaredx2 
#1 · (Edited)
About a year ago, I decided along with my wife that RTT camping, while nice, wasn't really our cup of tea. We needed something with a few more comforts that was still small and easily towed and wasn't going to break the bank. I had looked at several teardrop manufacturers and nearly pulled the trigger on a used Moby but just couldn't justify the cost. A 4 day trip to the 2015 Overland Expo in snow, sleet, rain and mud cemented it for me that it was time to say goodbye to the RTT trailer I had built up over the past few years. This was also the first time I met Todd and Carol of TC Teardrops in person. After a quick look over, and speaking with them at length, I came home and mulled over my options. What attracted me most to TC versus the other brands was the lower up front cost as well as the simple nature of the trailer (less to go wrong and I can add to it over time) I finally decided to plunk down my deposit to get my name on their wait list. Fast forward 5 months and my brand new teardrop is now sitting in the garage ready to go.

I ordered it with these options:

5x9 Teardrop trailer
Offroad extreme package
- Lock n Roll coupler
- Bigger tires
- Jeep style fenders
- 2" hitch mounts on all 4 corners and the rear
60" waterproof toolbox
Queen size Verlo Gel Foam mattress with Pillowtop
Roof Rack
Foxwing awning
12v Battery
15W Solar Panel
ClimateRight AC/Heat
Ceiling Fan
... and several other small items

This won't be a super full on build thread but there are a few things I plan on tweaking.

1) Rotopax for water
2) Kitchen cabinets
3) Exterior camp lighting
4) Roof rack basket
5) New wheels/tires
6) Possibly a vinyl wrap

A few pics:

Night it arrived:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice trailer, love the tear drops!

#4 ·
Subscribed! I think you're two awnings and 3-4 LED floods short, and where's the outdoor speakers :rocker:

How armored is the frame in the rear? I can definitely see that overhang scraping on the rock on Metberry this year.

#12 · (Edited)
Hey Shack, really like the TCTeardrop!
So much so that the wife and I have put our down payment on one.
May I ask a few questions on your FJ Hitch setup?
What type of Receiver Hitch are you using? Toyota's or maybe a Curt?
Also I hear the TCTeardrop needs a 7 pin spade connector with a brake controller.
I called the dealer and he stated they don't have a spade 7PIN wiring connection harness so am wondering what you did?
Is there something that will convert a 4 PIN to 7Pin or maybe your using another wiring harness all together?

Thanks for your time!!
Erick H.

#13 ·
The trailer hitch installation-type places install 7 pin light connectors all the time for the RV/horse trailer guys. I used one for my old pop up so that I could charge a battery that lived on the tongue. Talk to them to see if there is a plug-in type 7 pin connector available for the FJ so that you/they do not have to cut and splice the OEM tail light wires to add in your new 7 pin connector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.