Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Towing an FJ40

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Afire3121 
#1 ·
Just wondering if you guys are knowledgeable in towing an FJ40 with an FJCruiser.

I looked up numbers on the weight of the Fj40 at ~3200lbs that leaves me 1800lbs on the trailer. Can any of you confirm this?

#2 ·
I most definitely can be done. I've known a guy who towed a modded FJ40 quite a few miles with 35's, no regear, AT tranny, on hills at about 60-65 mph without much trouble.

If you find yourself towing very much, I'd suggest getting an aux transmission cooler for peace of mind.

Oh yeah, and post pictures because its definitely a neat sight. :)

#4 ·
I have a Hayden 678 transmission cooler, it is one of the two most commonly recommended ones for FJ/4Runner applications. I did it based off a few write ups on here.

It was his own personal trailer, and I'm trying to remember how it was setup. (should have taken a pic!) I don't believe he had any trailer brakes hooked up though.

#5 ·
I towed my FJ40 about an hour and a half home with my FJ Cruiser, It did just fine but it had to work and you knew it was back there. Don't plan on winning any races.

Attachments

#7 ·
I have no idea what kind of trailer it is, I borrowed it from a buddy of mine. I know it weighs more than a u haul one though. I think the 40 probably weighs close to stock. Feel free to shoot me a message with any questions you have!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.