Tow hitch and wiring harness installation - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Trailers and Towing Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Trailers and Towing Tech This sub-section is the place to discuss all things trailer and towing related.

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 24628
Tow hitch and wiring harness installation

I installed the Toyota hitch on my 2007 FJ (just for using a hitch-mount bike rack, not towing a trailer) some time back. Toyota dealer said it would be "hard to do", suggested I have them do it (for a lot more money than I was willing to pay), but I did it myself with no problems whatsoever.

Now I need to tow a trailer and want to get the Toyota factory wiring harness/pin connector kit. Dealer wants $120 for the kit, plus another $50 to install it. Once again, he says it's "hard to do" and I shouldn't install it myself.

Other vendors advertise the same kit for about $80-90, so I'd rather buy it from them, save money and do it myself. I can do just about everything mechanical on my own, but I'm a bit apprehensive about electrical systems and connections on modern vehicles.

How hard is it to install/connect this Toyota factory wiring harness?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Master

Member Number: 20333
Re: Tow hitch and wiring harness installation

Easy. Plug in, zip tie, and put on a few bolts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 479
Lifetime Supporting Member

If you can plug stuff in, you can do to the harness install!

T
TLC #17889
2007 FJC- ARB Front Bumper, Expedition One Rear bumper & Sliders, GOBI Stealth, Tuffy Center Console, Overhead ScanGuage w/HomeLink, Dirty Part's 2nd Battery Kit, Original Bandi Mount #11, ICON CO's, ARB Fridge, Battery Clamp, MRSS (Modular Rear Storage System), M-PAC rack, FJ Freedom Windows
1990 FJ62- ARB Front Bumper, OME Heavy/Med Lift, Wagongear Tailgate Lid, DiamnodRax Rack
Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kokopelli Moderator

Member Number: 12895

If the dealer says it is hard to do, then by all means do it yourself.
TLCA Member #18690
Made in Japan, but BUILT in the U.S.A.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 12716

It is very easy to do. Plug and play. You can do it in half an hour or less regardless of mechanical skill.

You can find the instructions to install it here http://www.georgiafjcruiser.com/docu...re_harness.pdf

Please Donate to http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
コンスタンティン I don't argue with Idiots. You can't fix stupid

Last edited by Constantine; 01-07-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added the link to instructions
Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 16638

Sergio
I know that they make a wiring kit for the FJ cruiser that is plug and play and all you gotta do un plug part of the harness and plug it back inand you got trailer connections. I have never done it on a FJ cruiser but have on other trucks
Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Master

Member Number: 12118

lol, "Oh yes its very hard, um, you shouldn't do it. Hey, you know what, I'll do it for ya! Its just gonna cost you."

Nah, you can tackle it no problem. Its a bolt on and plug in type of installation.

What you do speaks so loudly, I cannot hear what you say.

Illegitimi non carborundum.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 24628

Thanks for all the help, guys.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 18127

I bought and installed the trailer wiring harness yesterday. The hardest part was definitely getting that little end cap off, but everything was just plug or bolt in. The fun part for me will be drilling holes in my aftermarket rear bumper to mount the 4 pin connector... I'm a horrible center puncher... but at least ONE of the holes will line up!

ProComp 5.5" lift, 18X9 Pro Comp Black Wheels, ProComp 35" Extreme AT Tires, (I got a package deal)
ARB Front Bumper, All Pro Rear Bumper, All Pro Rock Rails
ARB Compressor, TRD Supercharger, Metal Tech Tube Doors (Summer), Custom Tail Pipe (Shortened)
Old 01-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 42115

I just ordered the oem wiring harness and it shows that it comes with a converter to install either up under the dash or in the engine compartment. I'm having a hard time reading the installation instructions. Plugging in the actual harness on the back bumper looks simple, any help with the connverter, fuses, and relay up front would be great!
Thanks in Advance,
Dave
'08 Ti, A/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Trailers and Towing Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.