Your thoughts? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transaction Feedback for Buyers/Sellers Objective feedback on transactions go here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Red face Your thoughts?

2014 Fj with 10M miles, clean carfax.
Was in inventory at a PA dealer in 2015, then autioned late 2015 to a NY dealer. Now selling for $32.
Selling as used, NOT certified.

Engine: 6 Cyl - 4 L
Drive Type: 4WD
Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic

Why would'nt dealer sell as certifeid, its a Toyota dealer?? Very clean car, love it but skeptical. Your thoughts please?
================================================== ================

Thanks folks!
I asked the salesman this morning why not certified... they said the car is a great car, low miles, still has manufactures warranty, (Power chain), and remaining bumper to bumper 36M/36000 (must be very little). For those reasons, did not want to pass the cost of certifying to the customer BUT, if want Toyoya certified, they can do for an additional $700.

Just seems odd to me, looked 2 FJs: 10M and one at 20M, both were Toyota certified...most all 2014 are unless not sold by Toyota.

May go look on Saturday, car does have exactly what I want vs, the 2 above. Someone suggested to ask if they they split the 700 cost for the certification.

Thank all of you so much, good to have someone to discuss Fj matters...your comments are appreciated.
Dont want to do anything in haste,...

Last edited by Gladys; 03-17-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Respond to comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:01 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Your thoughts?

Welcome to the forum. That really is a great question for that dealer, they should certify it if it's got a clean bill of health.
Gladys likes this.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:43 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)

Welcome! That is strange. Have you asked them if they will certify it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Garage

My guess is there trying to hide something, not that used car salesman aren't upstanding, honest individuals.
Zero'sFJ likes this.

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him for ever.
爸爸龙
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Gladys previously said: View Post
Was in inventory at a PA dealer in 2015, then autioned late 2015 to a NY dealer. Now selling for $32.
Selling as used, NOT certified.

Why would'nt dealer sell as certified, its a Toyota dealer?? Very clean car, love it but skeptical. Your thoughts please?
I'm guessing it's far enough away that you can't take a look at it in person? Maybe contact some New York forum members to look at it?

I'd ask them point-blank why they didn't certify it. I assure you they tried. If it's not showing on the CarFax then it's most likely a mechanical issue, not an accident. In which case, you could get them to include an extended warranty in the deal.

Either way, good luck! That's a great price for the year/miles.

Join the Colorado FJ Cruisers Facebook page for Colorado mod days, trail runs and other organized events! Not from Colorado, but planning a trip here? Join up, we'd be happy to suggest some offroading locations for you or even coordinate a run with the locals!

Want to see what FOUR years (updated!) of offroading in Colorado looks like? Click Here

My CB Radio Install+Parts Thread

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks folks!
I asked the salesman this morning why not certified... they said the car is a great car, low miles, still has manufactures warranty, (Power chain), and remaining bumper to bumper 36M/36000 (must be very little). For those reasons, did not want to pass the cost of certifying to the customer BUT, if want Toyoya certified, they can do for an additional $700.

Just seems odd to me, looked 2 FJs: 10M and one at 20M, both were Toyota certified...most all 2014 are unless not sold by Toyota.

May go look on Saturday, car does have exactly what I want vs, the 2 above. Someone suggested to ask if they they split the 700 cost for the certification.

Thank all of you so much, good to have someone to discuss Fj matters...your comments are appreciated.
Dont want to do anything in haste,...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Does it have any aftermarket equipment? My brother was looking at 2 late model 370Z convertibles same year both low miles. The dealer said one of them couldn't be certified because it had aftermarket wheels. Could be (probably is) BS but it's a possibility.

2012 Army Green Bone Stock Slick Top
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Nevermind. Just reread your post. Your dealer says they CAN do it, just haven't. Carry on.

2012 Army Green Bone Stock Slick Top
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)

Hell...why split the cost? The dealer is asking $32K. Why not just negotiate them down to a lower price or get them to do it for "free" if you think the $32K is worth it?

Is there a used car dealer around that really expects someone to pay asking price? And, wont negotiate downward? $700 actual discount or asking for the certification is basically a 2% price reduction from their asking price.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:34 AM
fka BLACK HAWK

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)

Did you run the Carfax or did they? Just because the carfax is clean doesn't always mean it's true. I'm a testament to that. Check for fender bulge/rips, make sure the driver side cawl panel is secure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

" You can't be afraid to scratch it "

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Buy/Sell Section > Transaction Feedback for Buyers/Sellers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.