Locking rear diff light flashing - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Locking rear diff light flashing

i've never turned on the locking rear diff on my FJ so i decided to try today just to see how to do it and i believe i did it all correct however when it was activated there was a 4x4 light, which was red and it was flashing... does this mean the rear diff lock is not activating?

To activate it i put it in 4 lo and then turned on the rear diff lock, does ATRAC need to be off? i don't remember if i did turn it off but i've been doing some reading and i don't think both can be on at the same time... all the other lights come on that are supposed to (ABS and such)

just looking for a little advice on if i need to bring it in to the dealership

2008 Sandstorm | 3 Inch lift | Fab Four Bumper| HID lights | Springtail M-PAC | TT Rock Rails |

In the works |Full Black out | Roof mounted lights |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 PM
fka gremlin2050

Re: Locking rear diff light flashing

when it blinks it isn't activated yet. you will hear it click into place, usually after a few feet of driving. atrac has nothing to do with the locker on your FJ

I used to be 6"...
#3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 PM
fka gremlin2050

also, did you move the FJ at all or was it in one place the whole time? sometimes 4lo can be a bit tricky to engage, so you might not have had the lever in all the way...happens to me often

I used to be 6"...
#4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

ok thanks i'll try that out tomorrow... just want to make sure it works properly!

2008 Sandstorm | 3 Inch lift | Fab Four Bumper| HID lights | Springtail M-PAC | TT Rock Rails |

#5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Highwaystreets previously said: View Post
there was a 4x4 light, which was red and it was flashing... does this mean the rear diff lock is not activating?
Blinking red light with the X means the rear diff is trying to lock.
Solid red light means it is locked.

Quote:
To activate it i put it in 4 lo and then turned on the rear diff lock, does ATRAC need to be off? i don't remember if i did turn it off but i've been doing some reading and i don't think both can be on at the same time... all the other lights come on that are supposed to (ABS and such)
Mid-model-year 2007 a change was made that allowed the rear diff lock and A-TRAC to work together. Both of mine work together without the "hack". You have an 08 so yours work together.

Stop the vehicle
Place the vehicle in 4LO
Press the rear diff lock button.
Slowly drive forward (under 5mph) turning the steering wheel back and forth until you either hear the click of the rear diff or see the light stop blinking.

And just to be sure: NEVER attempt to engage the rear diff when you have a spinning wheel.
If the locker locks both axle shafts together with one wheel spinning rapidly and the other wheel stationary, you are going to have a bad day (i.e. stuff in your rear axle is going to break and you are going to need to get towed home).

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623

Last edited by Layonnn; 11-23-2010 at 12:18 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Layonnn previously said: View Post
NEVER attempt to engage the rear diff when you have a spinning wheel.
If the locker locks both axle shafts together with one wheel spinning rapidly and the other wheel stationary, you are going to have a bad day (i.e. stuff in your rear axle is going to break and you are going to need to get towed home).
Actually, there are supposed to be failsafe's in place that will not let the locker engage at wheel speeds over 3-5 MPH, Knowing the glitchy systems on the rest of the FJ I'm not willing to test it out though .LOL

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic7470_2.gif
Quote:
cnckart previously said: View Post

Yup thieves are stupid, that's why they are thieves.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

tried that today and it works!!! i just didn't wait long enough before... thanks for the help guys

#8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:06 PM

I am having the same problem, however after attempting all the suggested ways of getting around the problem its still not working. I have an 07 6spd. I've tried going forward and reverse pushed the button when in LL when not moving and all that. I am hearing a slight clicking when I am in 2wd driving in revers or slightly when going forward slowly. I bought this truck used last month and thought that I had checked the locker and it was working fine. The ONLY thing I have not tried is steering from side to side while moving forward. If I was to start checking things at the dealer whats the first step? Or has this happened to other people where it was broken? I have even tried pushing harder on the 4L leaver in case the switch wasn't fully engaged.

Thoughts? I'll keep trying in the mean time.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You cannot go into 2wd in a manual. It has full-time 4wd transfer case setup.

If you are trying to figure out if it is locked or not, place in 4LO on gravel or dirt or grass, lock the rear, it should make a audible click , turn driver side and drive forward while leaning your head out the window and look at the driver rear tire. The tire should be slightly spinning on the ground in semi jerky motions while you are going forward. This is due to the passenger side rear tire traveling at a larger radius circle and rotating more than the inside tire causing it to slip.

If you are not noticing it slip, the rear is not locking.

Quote:
Canadian Cruiser previously said: View Post
I am having the same problem, however after attempting all the suggested ways of getting around the problem its still not working. I have an 07 6spd. I've tried going forward and reverse pushed the button when in LL when not moving and all that. I am hearing a slight clicking when I am in 2wd driving in revers or slightly when going forward slowly. I bought this truck used last month and thought that I had checked the locker and it was working fine. The ONLY thing I have not tried is steering from side to side while moving forward. If I was to start checking things at the dealer whats the first step? Or has this happened to other people where it was broken? I have even tried pushing harder on the 4L leaver in case the switch wasn't fully engaged.

Thoughts? I'll keep trying in the mean time.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks Layonnn! I had not even tried 4Lo or the locker until recently and when I did I could not get the locker to engage. I moved forward and backwards in 4Lo, but nothing other than a flashing red locker light. I gave up after 20 minutes thinking there was a problem. Finally after reading your post I tried turning the wheel back and forth and I eventually heard the clicking and it engaged! Thanks again!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.