Sealed automatic transmission question - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sealed automatic transmission question

So I am just about to pull the trigger on a 2007 FJ. Almost 100K on it, but very well maintained, and mostly freeway. (For those following my other posts, it des have the rear locker.) The seller is actually my doctor and a car nut. He has 9 cars and takes excellent care of all of them. Also a former champion figure skater and diver, but I digress.

I asked him if he ever changed the automatic transmission fluid. He said it was a sealed system and it was not called for. I had that on a BMW a few years back. Historically, the issue was that the transmission fluid would get acidic and eat up the transmission, hence the need to change it. Have they changed the characteristics of the fluid?

Assuming normal driving, how long should an FJ tranny last, same as the engine?

The FJ handles almost like a sport car. Probably my favorite feature. It definitely is bare bones, though. No covered center console, no pockets in the back of the seats.

Thanks. Great board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Forum Superstar

Location: Ohio- Security isn't real by sentiment but Soldiers who have been trained in the use of Force!!
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Sealed automatic transmission question

welcome to the site.

Thank you Vets

#3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
diver110 previously said: View Post
I asked him if he ever changed the automatic transmission fluid. He said it was a sealed system and it was not called for. I had that on a BMW a few years back. Historically, the issue was that the transmission fluid would get acidic and eat up the transmission, hence the need to change it. Have they changed the characteristics of the fluid?
Toyota uses a new low-viscosity synthetic ATF, but the auto transmission is not "sealed", it just doesn't have a traditional dip stick. It does however have drain, fill, and level-check plugs and can be drained or flushed. I flushed mine the first time at about 45,000 miles and I'm over-due for it again. If you don't tow anything or do a lot of heavy-duty four-wheeling it will last a long long time, but I'm pretty anal about preventative maintenance because I tend to keep my vehicles a long time.

N5MUD
4x4ham.com
TLCA # 16550
High Desert Cruisers
#4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to taltyman

at 106k miles, my fluid was a dark brown so I had it changed. I'd suggest changing it out.

Follow the yellow brick.
Multivex mirrors, BudBuilt skid, Bandi mount, Midland CB, Firestick, Baja Rack, SAW full suspension, MB 72 black rims, Duratrac p285's, body mount chop, on engine number 2. But it's gone now... So I just hang around

Everything I post is for entertainment purposes only. Any comments about anything political is not intended to be.

My signature picture is our vacation home in Ouray, Colorado about 3 blocks from the FJ Summit HQ.

1967 IH Scout

#5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Lot of threads to search on this--As of my last inquiry, Toyota does not recommend and dealerships will NOT PERFORM A full-flush/replacement

2012-Some add ons
#6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Metro Billy Man previously said: View Post
Lot of threads to search on this--As of my last inquiry, Toyota does not recommend and dealerships will NOT PERFORM A full-flush/replacement
I had a little more then 50k on my '07 and wanted it changed before driving to Alaska
Two different dealerships in the area wouldn't do it. Said there was no need at such low miles. While on the road I also called two different dealerships and was told the same thing.

Kirk,
N31'51.208 W106'37.435
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=DE2D30B8B02FBAEE
http://pbase.com/kai38/
Send Money, Guns & Lawyers..... the _hit has hit the fan!
Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!
KF5MQP
#7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 PM

(Thread Starter)

Dealer in Baltimore recommended it between 80,000 and 90,000....
#8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
diver110 previously said: View Post
Dealer in Baltimore recommended it between 80,000 and 90,000....
I would bet if you inquired with someone who knew what they were talking about @ the dealer, it's a drain and refill (basically leaving the majority of the old fluid in the x-mission) NOT a full flush/replacement of all fluid)

2012-Some add ons
#9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to taltyman

Quote:
Metro Billy Man previously said: View Post
Dealership in Trinidad did mine.

Follow the yellow brick.
Multivex mirrors, BudBuilt skid, Bandi mount, Midland CB, Firestick, Baja Rack, SAW full suspension, MB 72 black rims, Duratrac p285's, body mount chop, on engine number 2. But it's gone now... So I just hang around

Everything I post is for entertainment purposes only. Any comments about anything political is not intended to be.

My signature picture is our vacation home in Ouray, Colorado about 3 blocks from the FJ Summit HQ.

1967 IH Scout

#10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Blurvision

A private mechanic should be able to do this easily, just drain out what you can. Some will get stuck in the torq converter. Youll get 80% of it most likely. Fill back up with OEM fluid, good to go! Should be labor of an oil change.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.