Mystery bearing?!? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 12784
Send a message via Yahoo to CowboyCEO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Mystery bearing?!?

Quote:
Dave(man) previously said: View Post
it would seem like a throw out bearing ball bearing maybe shot out the fork boot??? i've never been under a manual FJ before so???
Having no idea about anything you just said, I am impressed with your e-diagnosis and will go with that

How is your new location treating you? Sending you a from Nor Cal!
2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 47156

Hey dude....it's great here....like FJ heaven trails everywhere 30 minutes from the house.....lots of wide open space!! Glad i got to roll with you guys before i moved....need to get a Fuzzydud order in before too long!! hope you get that clutch fixed up and rollen quickly!! weird that i had transmission type issues today too.....

you don't have a soul you are a soul you have a body

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 11473

Hey Steevo, Sounds like you got it covered in SJ but if you need a hand or a ride etc let me know. I'll even put my passenger seat in for you.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
(you know, like gods and stuff)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 44933

Quote:
CowboyCEO previously said: View Post
About an hour ago my clutch just kinda gernaded out of nowhere. There was some throwout bearing wine. Then crunch (could feel in the pedal) and the clutch stopped working and the pedal is on the floor. I put it in second and turned it over to move it about 5 feet forward (Screech clunk clunk) and I hear something hit the pavement and I see a 1/4" bearing rolling down the pavement. It was very hot! No idea where that belonged.

Does anyone have any idea where that bearing came from?

How many miles on the tranny? Hearing metal hit the ground under your FJ has to be pucker factor 10!

Keep us updated OP

Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Quote:
sonof40 previously said: View Post
Hey Steevo, Sounds like you got it covered in SJ but if you need a hand or a ride etc let me know. I'll even put my passenger seat in for you.
I feel entitled that you would install your passenger seat. "Wow!" Check out the picture in my signature. I caught a fish with that thing I hacked together. Lets get a round of golf in soon. Thank you for the "assist" offer! Wi-5

Quote:
Xx_Black-out previously said: View Post
How many miles on the tranny? Hearing metal hit the ground under your FJ has to be pucker factor 10!

Keep us updated OP
My transmission has 164K miles on it. In those miles I have had the "throwout bearing whine" come and go about half a dozen times. Time for a freshie! The rolling bearing was the icing on the "Pucker Factor 10" compaired to the sounds coming from inside of the housing. I wish I had a video of me openning the door and hanging my head out and under my rig then a "ZOOM-shot" into that bearing bouncing then rolling down the driveway.

I just happened to be delivering a $1,200 order
2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>

Last edited by CowboyCEO; 11-29-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 28675
Location: formerly Southern-tier of Western NYS, now way, way South of there

Quote:
About an hour ago my clutch just kinda gernaded out of nowhere. There was some throwout bearing wine. Then crunch (could feel in the pedal) and the clutch stopped working and the pedal is on the floor. I put it in second and turned it over to move it about 5 feet forward (Screech clunk clunk) and I hear something hit the pavement and I see a 1/4" bearing rolling down the pavement. It was very hot!

Does anyone have any idea where that bearing came from?

The only thing under there with ball bearings in it would be the clutch release bearing (aka : throw-out bearing). It would appear that you have suffered a catastrophic failure of that bearing. Actually this is the first time I've heard of this bearing failing in such a way. What probably happened was the inner or outer race of the bearing cracked and began to wobble. That would have been the occasional noise you heard (often described as a chirping noise). Finally the bearing was so worn and overheated it blew apart. Try to take some pics of the parts involved. Have the mechanic examine the "quill" on the bellhousing for damage. In this case it may be extensive.

Here's a long running thread on this situation (kind of long but a lot of info/tech and pics from some DIY projects) :

Throwout Bearing Trouble on 6 speeds......

It should be interesting to see your pics !

Old 11-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 11287
Send a message via AIM to fjessence

sorry to hear cowboy, hope you get it all sorted out!

"The Ronin" VDB 4x4

285/75/16 Falken Rocky Mtns, 16" KMC Enduros, Trailworx Fab custom 3 hoop bumper, All Pro Sliders, Thule air dam, 22" led bar, AVS In Channel Vent Visors, Flowmaster 40 series with dump, Total Chaos UCAs, Icon 2.5 extended travel w/ ext. resis, Icon VS 2.0 rears, Toytec custom rear coils, SmittyBilt shackle receiver, Fourtreks shovel/axe mount, Demello Hi-Lift Mount, 48" Hi-Lift Extreme.

-Sang
DO Rocks!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Roadrunner- I will mention the "quill housing" to Doug. My truck had already landed at his shop and I am heading down there on Saturday.

*note to self- charge cammera battery

fjessence- It is getting worked on by a "Team Fuzzy Duds" mechanic!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 34579

That this kind of thing can happen always portends clouds of doom for the 6M/T community!

And with all the implications from Toyota's band - aid approach to the Throwout Bearing issue, this just makes things much worse...
If you have any vehicular problems that may result in potential safety issues in the long run that Toyota's simply putting a Band - Aid on or ignoring outright (be it Premature Throwout Bearing Wear, Weak Fenders, Vibrating Steering Columns, etc.), make the issue known and report it to the NHTSA through the link below.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Old 11-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Forum Veteran

Member Number: 28675
Location: formerly Southern-tier of Western NYS, now way, way South of there

Quote:
Roadrunner- I will mention the "quill housing" to Doug. My truck had already landed at his shop and I am heading down there on Saturday.

The Toyota service manual refers to the part as the transmission input sleeve (aka : quill). I've loaded a pic of what this piece would look like with the wear damage. Your's will likely look like this (or maybe worse considering what happened) :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.