Mystery bearing?!? - Page 6 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#51 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Forum Veteran

Location: formerly Southern-tier of Western NYS, now way, way South of there
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Mystery bearing?!?

Here's a couple pics of the inside of an intact bell housing showing the quill surrounding the splined transmission input shaft. Top pic also shows the clutch release fork and TO bearing. Lower pic shows only the release fork (also visible is the wear damage on the quill).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#52 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CowboyCEO
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

That looks very neat and tidy.

Here is what mine looked like at the first look inside.

Zed? Zed is dead But "9-Ball" will roll again!!

2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>
#53 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
71roadrunner previously said: View Post

Here's a pic of the inside of an intact bell housing showing the quill surrounding the splined transmission input shaft. Top pic also shows the clutch release fork and TO bearing.

Here is a shot of mine from a similar angle with what's left of my T.O. bearing is resting on the input shaft.

That sucker got owned! Broke the sleeve clean off

Hopefully, the new Bell Housing wraps up the repair.

I miss 9-Ball

get well soon buddy

2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>

Last edited by CowboyCEO; 11-30-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo
#54 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nasty.

I imagine there was a cacophony of metal the moment it happened.

I hope your truck gets fixed soon - holidays, and all.

If you have any vehicular problems that may result in potential safety issues in the long run that Toyota's simply putting a Band - Aid® on or ignoring outright (be it Premature Throwout Bearing Wear, Weak Fenders, Vibrating Steering Columns, etc.), make the issue known and report it to the NHTSA through the link below.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
#55 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

The sound not only sent chills down my bones. I also felt it in the pedal.. Like XX-BlackOut stated, "Pucker Factor 10".

If everything falls into place. I should be up and rolling mid week.

#56 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
lqdchkn previously said: View Post
Looks like the bell housing to me. I see TOB pieces, clutch fork, input shaft.
Yep, that's the inside of the bell housing. The throw out bearing sleeve or quill as some call it snapped right off. This happens as a result of the bearing failure. As you can see this quill is part of the bell housing. On many transmissions this part bolts on and is called the front bearing retainer. Many Toyota transmissions use a bolt on retainer but this one does not. It's cheaper to cast it as part of the bell housing. The bad news is you have to replace the whole bell housing if it breaks or is worn.

Im not sure if CowboyCEO said he had any warning before this happened? Usually you will feel the throw out bearing with your foot when it starts to go bad. You will also hear it when you step on the clutch. If you own a MT and feel the bearing get rough or start to make noise the best advice it to get the truck into the shop ASAP before the bearing explodes.

And lastly don't get the famous squeak confused with a bearing failure like this. The squeak is a whole different animal.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, & Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs & Batt clamp - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Die Hard 850 - Kenwood DNX6980 Nav Radio - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

#57 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

The sound was definately different than "the Chirp". I would say that I had less than a "two minute warning" before the ref tossed a flag.
My luck had me backing out of a parking spot when this all went down. The sound was a "za-ZA-ZA-ZING-Ga-CLUNK-ka-Clunk-Ka-CLunK!" Plus, that sound was translated thru the pedal.

For what this is costing me when compaired to the number and quality of miles I have driven. I am not going to say a single bad thing about how any of these parts were designed or how they failed. But I will always keep that "Mystery Bearing" as a reminder. "When then chirp turns into a za-Za-Za-Zing!" - Shut'r down and call a tow truck.

I am stoked to be driving a vehichle that has created such a broad and supportive familly. Keep the stoke alive and don't forget to wave at fellow FJ'ers!

#58 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage

All of this could have been avoided you know; if you had just bought an FJ without a clutch pedal.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, & Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs & Batt clamp - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Die Hard 850 - Kenwood DNX6980 Nav Radio - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

#59 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jimmiee previously said: View Post
All of this could have been avoided you know; if you had just bought an FJ without a clutch pedal.
To tell you the gosh dern truth. The "Two" reasons I found my self behind the wheel of one of these nuggets were;

#1- it had a clutch

#2- My long anticipated test drive of the Hummer H-3 (m/t) left me with a feeling like I had pooped in my pants then ran a marathon in high humidity.

#60 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
CowboyCEO previously said: View Post
To tell you the gosh dern truth. The "Two" reasons I found my self behind the wheel of one of these nuggets were;

#1- it had a clutch

#2- My long anticipated test drive of the Hummer H-3 (m/t) left me with a feeling like I had pooped in my pants then ran a marathon in high humidity.

Toyota should use that in their advertisments

2007 TRDSE
ZORT

you don't have a soul you are a soul you have a body

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.