Mystery bearing?!? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Interested in the new Toyota Tundra? Stop in at the Toyota Tundra Forum @ www.tundratalk.net!
Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Background Toyota FJ Cruiser Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Chat Insurance Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

FJCruiserForums.com is the premier Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 12784
Send a message via Yahoo to CowboyCEO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Mystery bearing?!?

About an hour ago my clutch just kinda gernaded out of nowhere. There was some throwout bearing wine. Then crunch (could feel in the pedal) and the clutch stopped working and the pedal is on the floor. I put it in second and turned it over to move it about 5 feet forward (Screech clunk clunk) and I hear something hit the pavement and I see a 1/4" bearing rolling down the pavement. It was very hot! No idea where that belonged.

Does anyone have any idea where that bearing came from?
2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
"I've got more hair and I'm sexier than Old Cruiser"

Member Number: 2679
Re: Mystery bearing?!?

Was it a whole bearing, or just part of a bearing like a ball or roller?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

It was a full 1/4" ball bearing. There are not any cracks in the housing. It's a real mystery...

*edit- it was the little silver ball that is a smaller version of that thing flying down the hall in "Phantasm"
2,007 Sun Fusion / nickname "9-Ball" / Black Leather / K/N filter / Safari Snorkel / Flow master 40 series / 6sp M/T / Hella 550's / Ricochet Skids / Demello sliders/ Boztec diff skid, High Lift hanger and antenna mount / Fire stick / Uniden c/b / Glade Plug-in / Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17/, Fox 2 1/2" ext-travel coilovers with resi up front and Fox 2.0 piggybacks in the rear/ Total Chaos U.C.A.s/ Icon springs / All Weather Mats...

<a href=http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/cowboyceo/MrSpinnerScores2.jpg target=_blank>http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...nerScores2.jpg</a>

Last edited by CowboyCEO; 11-28-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 47156

it would seem like a throw out bearing ball bearing maybe shot out the fork boot??? i've never been under a manual FJ before so???

you don't have a soul you are a soul you have a body

Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
"I've got more hair and I'm sexier than Old Cruiser"

Member Number: 2679

I'm not real familiar with the 6 speed either, but going off of other vehicles that I've had that were manuals, that's what it sounds like it could be. If the bearing didn't just fail, but completely broke apart it could have sent the balls out with a bit of force and maybe out the boot.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 45064

Dam* that sucks to hear.

How's the top of the bell housing look? Any Pics?

N00bs click here for free help
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Good news!!! (besides the $T-chunk) A bros AAA is getting me towed down to San Jose to Muddy Girl and Dougs place. He is either going to do the clutch in his shop or in his driveway. He promises that Muddy Girl will assist.

I can't tell you how awesome it is to have a community like this!

lqdchkn- When I was underneath tonight I had a really crappy flashlight and was looking at as much as I could see. I did not take a look at the top of the bell housing. I am holding high standards for the hole or what ever damage is there. I will definately take pictures!

My stock clutch lasted 164,000 miles

Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 54049
Supporting Member
Quote:
CowboyCEO previously said: View Post
It was a full 1/4" ball bearing. There are not any cracks in the housing. It's a real mystery...

*edit- it was the little silver ball that is a smaller version of that thing flying down the hall in "Phantasm"
Sounds like a pinball from your last arcade trip Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
  • Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Smalldog previously said: View Post
Sounds like a pinball from your last arcade trip Good luck!

The pinball machine definately hit "Tilt"

I can't wait to see the carnage

Did I already say how stoked I am to have it in such trusted hands for something that major?

WooHoo!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Superstar

Member Number: 54049
Supporting Member
Quote:
CowboyCEO previously said: View Post
The pinball machine definately hit "Tilt"

I can't wait to see the carnage

Did I already say how stoked I am to have it in such trusted hands for something that major?

WooHoo!
At least it wasn't multi ball!

• Allpro Rear Lower Links
  • Allpro Roof Rack
  • LCNW Front Tube Bumper
  • LCNW Rear Tube Bumper
  • Warn 9.5 TI Winch with Syn Line
  • 285 70 17 Duratracs
  • URD 6MT Quickshifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.