Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Transfer case grinding

11K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bazross 
#1 ·
My 2008 FJ transfer case grinds when shifting in or out of neutral. It has even locked in neutral, grinding asif the transmission was in gear. My dealer says it shifts better than other FJ's on his lot. That doesn't help much if I'm stuck in neutral out in the boondocks. Anyone with a similar problem?

#3 ·
As always, more information describing your vehicle, the specific problem and the conditions when the problem occurs would be helpful.

1. What year FJ?
2. How many miles on it?
3. AT or manual transmission?
4. Are you shifting while moving, or are you at a complete stop?
5. Do you know for certain what weight gear oil is in the transfer case?
6. When you say "locked in neutral", do you mean that the shift lever physically couldn't be moved, or that it moved freely, but the transfer case made a grinding sound when you moved the lever?
7. Are you absolutely sure the transfer case "grinds" when shifting INTO neutral, or only when shifting FROM neutral to the other ranges?

#5 ·
As always, more information describing your vehicle, the specific problem and the conditions when the problem occurs would be hepful.

1. What year FJ?
2. How many miles on it?
3. AT or manual transmission?
4. Are you shifting while moving, or are you at a complete stop?
5. Do you know for certain what weight gear oil is in the transfer case?
6. When you say "locked in neutral", do you mean that the shift lever physically couldn't be moved, or that it moved freely, but the transfer case made a grinding sound when you moved the lever?
7. Are you absolutely sure the transfer case "grinds" when shifting INTO neutral, or only when shifting FROM neutral to the other ranges?
It's a 2008, 76000 miles, automatic transmission. I only shift when at a complete stop. I don't know what weight oil I have, but I had the transmission, transfer case, and rear differential oils changed by the dealer 5000 miles ago. The transfer case grinds when shifting from neutral to low or neutral to hi4, itdoesn't grind shifting into neutral. When I said it locked, it would not physically shift into either range, and sounded like I might strip a gear. I ran the transmission through the gears, raced the engine in neutral, and evetually was able to shift into hi4. The problem is intetmittent, but the transfer case grinds to a certain degree with every shift. Thanks for replying.

#4 ·
Also if you did not leave it in 4wd when you parked it overnite you need to drive it a ways before you shift into 4wd. The cold thick gear lube does not allow it to shift without a little grinding. Warming up allows it to shift without grinding. And like NW FJC says shift it quickly and with authority. If its an auto you need to have the Transmission in Netural before going to 4lo.

#6 ·
When shifting from 2wd to 4wd hi and vice-versa you need to be moving anywhere from 5 to 50mph , let off the gas and shift. To go from 4hi to 4lo is where you stop put the Transmission in netural, and push it into 4lo. Its all in the owners manual. Get out somewhere in the dirt and play around with it.

#7 · (Edited)
That's not quite what the Owner's Manual states, at least not the 2014 manual. The transfer case is essentially identical on all model year auto trans FJs, so the recommendations in the '14 manual are valid for all model years.

To quote the manual:

"Shifting between H2 and H4
Reduce your speed to less than 50 mph (80 km/h) and shift the frontwheel drive control lever from H2 to H4."

"If you have trouble shifting in cold weather, reduce your speed or stop the vehicle" (italics added).

"Shifting between H4 and L4
Stop the vehicle, shift the shift lever to N and shift the front-wheel drive control lever."

I've got both an FJ and a 4WD 4Runner (both AT), and both have nearly identical transfer case designs. I've ALWAYS completely stopped the vehicle while shifting in or out of 4WD, or between 4H and 4L ranges, with no grinding.

Move the transfer case shift lever crisply and firmly, don't S L O W L Y move it between ranges and you shouldn't have any grinding issues, at least not if the transfer case lube is up to operating temperature.

#8 ·
Considering its winter, this makes more sense. If your Tcase is cold, and you arnt running synthetic gear oil, your going to grind gears. The oil gets very very thick and doesnt do well for lubing gears.

Try running the truck for a while (by running i mean driving at normal speeds, at variable RPM's) to get the *Transfer case* oil temp (not engine oil) up and see if it grinds. Then diagnose from there.

I had this exact same issue on my 2013. Turns out, it was just a chilly little tcase.

#9 ·
Most all manual shift transfer cases will grind when you shift into neutral and then try to shift back into low or high range. The trick is to first put the transmission into neutral then shift directly from high to low or low to high. Never shift into neutral. If you do for some reason shift into neutral the transfer case will most likely grind shifting back into gear. So shift quickly (through) neutral with a firm grip on the shifter. Shift it like you mean it. If you shift it like grandma you will get stuck in neutral. If this happens do not grind the gears! Turn off the engine then shift it back into gear. If you try to shift from neutral and the gears grind you are damaging your gearbox.

Shifting from 2WD to 4WD and back is a different situation. When shifting into 4WD there is a synchronizer involved and there should be no grinding. Always let up on the gas before shifting into or out of four wheel drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.