Transmission replaced - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission replaced

Hey Guys, I have a 2007 FJ trdse with 185000 miles. Bought it new on DEC 2006 love it.
Last week the gear having trouble shifting, took it to the dealer and they said transmission is out. They are installing a new remanufactured one.

Im supposse to pick it up today, do you guys have any advise on what to ask the dealer? I just want to make sure that everything is good since it cost a lot to replace. They said it has 4 year warranty with unlimited milage on the new Transmission.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Transmission replaced

The time to ask questions was before you agreed to have them replace it. haha. You're pretty much stuck with whatever they give you now. 4yr warranty is pretty good though, mine only came with a 1yr.

'07 Voodoo 4x4 AT
The Big Blue Build thread

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)

What StrangerRanger already said above. I would ask for documentation/paperwork etc with regard to the 4 year warranty with unlimited mileage and what are the maintenance requirements associated with the warranty (e.g...they wont honor it if you don't do...such and such). Without it in writing with legal documentation, it is just words that wont help you. I would also clarify which legal entity is providing the warranty? the dealer?, Toyota?, a third party insurer? It makes a difference because some corporate entities are known to go bye-bye or go through bankruptcy and then your warranty is worthless.

Future advice is to check in here on the forums before you shell out big money on repairs. I have certainly seen some situations where people where told the torque converter is bad, trans needs to be replaced, etc...and it turns out to be a simpler lower cost solution such as shudder fix and a trans fluid flush.

I am not saying that is the situation with your transmission, but the general thinking on the forum is that dealers are quick to jump to the expensive full replacement/rebuild solution and not look for a lower cost alternative that might be available. The same can be true for other repairs (not transmission related).
WebSnyper likes this.

Last edited by SilvFx; 03-17-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Just Picked it up at the dealer and it drives smoother and feels like more power. I love this truck a lot. Wish can buy a new one again.

You guys are right they said now and in writing the warranty is 1 Year unlimited miles. But the service guy is super nice. He took picture of old and new like he promised.

Thanks for the advise hope the truck last. Transmission replaced-img_7259.jpg

Transmission replaced-img_7262.jpg
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage

Dare I ask how much the dealer charged to do this?

Steve 07 FJ with almost enough mods
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I'm wondering what happen to the transmission in the first place.

OP can you give us more details on what happened to your transmission for it to be replaced.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Out of the blue when I reversed it has no power I think because its not going in to gear. Then when I drove it, it would down shift on its own on the freeway and makes a loud noise.

When I break I felt like I got rear ended. After that all lights came on. Then I took it to the dealer, thats when they told me transmission is done.

They explain about rebuilt and re manufacture, and I just dont want anymore problem with this. I check and call around before making the decision.

I paid $4600 for remac. $ 3000 plus tax for trans and around $1250 for labor.

So far so good drove it around 100 miles yesterday . But I really feel its smoother and more power because I applied the same pressure on the pedal and it peels now. I feel like I have to get use to a different truck. I really hope that it will last.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)

you owned the FJ since new, did you ever change or flush the transmission fluid in the 185K miles?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Yes I Did at 100000.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:38 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Garage

Wow, that'a a lot of dough for a factory trans, reman even. Reworking what you already have a local trans shop might have been worth checking into. Just a thought.

'73 FJ40: Chevy sb 350 TBI
'84 FJ60: Vortec 4.3 TBI & 700R4
'12 FJC TTSE: ARB front bumper, Warn Zeon 10k winch, Icon Stage 2, RCI'S, 285/17 Duratracs, Prinsu rack, Springtail everything

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.