FJ cruiser tranny flush and reliability questions - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids This area is for discussion, questions and problems with the FJ Cruiser's gear train, including topics on A-TRAC, VSC, locking diffs, gear ratios, manual vs. AT, etc.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FJ cruiser tranny flush and reliability questions

Hi all, I have been doing some research on the forums but wanted to make a post to share my questions in particular!

I drive a 2008 Fj with 92k on it and was looming into doing a tranny flush. No knowledge of it being done in the past so figured id cover my bases (i purchased the truck with 75k on the odo)

I have heard mixed things from the stealership about doing a flush...

1 says dont do it and that it can harm the tranny, it is better to just do a drain and fill. In addition one advisor talked about the risk of "over pressurizing the tranny during the flush when you refill it." This didnt make as much sense to me as long as they did the Job correctly

Others say they dont do flushes on my transmission

And at Toyota of Seattle (i am located in washington state) they say they have no issue preforming the flush and that new fluid is a good thing! Which makes sense to me.

So my question is, is there a risk of damage to the transmission when doing a flush if done at a dealership? If so what are they? Is it better to simply drain and fill? I am just searchig to do whatever is best for the rig to keep everything going as long as possible!

In addition, I had read on the forum that the "bump" that a large amount of us feel can be a sign of early tranny failure. I was under the impression this was a drive shaft issue.

Are most transmission issues found in the 2007 FJs for the most part? Just want to prepare myself and the FJ the best I can for the long haul!

If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated! Thanks to all the gurus and Toyora veterans in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Re: FJ cruiser tranny flush and reliability questions

Just order the Valvoline Maxlife ATF fluid from Walmart it's $18 for a 4 quart jug and do it yourself. You're going to need about 4 jugs to flush the entire transmission till the fluid comes out cherry red. I've done it twice on my FJ and currently have 168,000 with zero issues. I've also used the same fluid in my beater Camry with 260,000 miles and don't have any issues either.

If you have the tranny bump while coming to a stop be sure to grease your drive shaft and you'll be fine.

-B

2015 Camry SE
2012 Porsche Cayenne
2008 FJ Cruiser
2003 Camry LE
2000 Mazda Miata
1997 Camao Z28 383ci supercharged

Last edited by Blown383; 05-17-2017 at 08:10 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Have it done properly at the dealer. They will flush it completely under pressure and fill it correctly. Emptying the pan only is doing half the job.
Winterpeg likes this.

OME lift Kit, Metal Tech Rear Long Travel, Camburgs Balljoint UCAs, Full Ricochet Skid Plates, All Pro Sliders, Metal Tech Offset LCAs , Luna Dual Battery, Cooper STT PRo 35s on 16' Mickey Thompson Classic Baja Locks, FJToyman Shock Skids, Total Chaos lower link Skids, Boztec Dif Skid, Exp1 front Diamond Bumper, Exp1 Rear Bumper with Carrier, Viper winch, Ricochet Lighted Air Dam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Had the dealer flush my tranny at 95,000, the bump is the slip joint on the driveshaft.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I personally would not do a pressurized flush. I would do a complete fluid swap though which you can easily do yourself, and simply uses the transmission's own pumping action. I did mine @ 90k miles just recently, no problems at all.
sonof40 and NC_Pinz like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Don T previously said: View Post
Had the dealer flush my tranny at 95,000, the bump is the slip joint on the driveshaft.
No problems since? How many miles have you put on?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Dynamo previously said: View Post
I personally would not do a pressurized flush. I would do a complete fluid swap though which you can easily do yourself, and simply uses the transmission's own pumping action. I did mine @ 90k miles just recently, no problems at all.

Does the dealership on do a pressurized flush? The guy i talked to made it sound like the over pressurizing happens after yoh out new fluid in
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Quote:
RileyLSmith previously said: View Post
Does the dealership on do a pressurized flush? The guy i talked to made it sound like the over pressurizing happens after yoh out new fluid in
You will have to ask your dealership what kind of machine they have and/or what their procedure is. I personally would avoid anything that wants to force a cleaning agent or even just fluid through the transmission. I would be worried that forcing fluid through might damage something.

Most places will probably just have a fluid exchange machine which is what I would look for. Copied from another forum:

The way a fluid exchange machine works is as follows:

The machine is charged with fresh fluid into a double-ended cylinder, with a piston and seal at one end. The machine is then connected in series with a cooler line. When the car's engine is started, the transmission's own pump pushes the old fluid into the "empty" end of the machine's cylinder, which causes the sealed piston to push the fresh fluid back into the transmission at the same rate and pressure as would happen under normal driving. There is no mixing of the old and new fluid. Assuming the machine is charged with sufficient fresh fluid, all of the old fluid should be exchanged for new.

The DIY method that many on this forum including myself is essentially the same thing, just not done with a machine and done 2-3 quarts at a time. Either way, all you are doing is exchanging the fluid which IMO should be a regular maintenance item.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I am not a mechanic....My dealership will do the flush but I don't think I or they will do it like this youtube video...."Toyota FJ Cruiser A750E/F Automatic Transmission Service" However after experiencing the dreaded shudder at approx. 110,000 miles on my "07" I think I will be doing it when my "14" approaches 60,000 mi.,
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Garage

I do a complete fluid change every 50K. Its as easy to do as an oil change , The people that say take it to the dealer just don`t know how to do maint, You can do it your self easily
Loganbeere and Irving Zisman like this.

Steve 07 FJ with almost enough mods

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Transmissions / Transfer Cases / Traction Aids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.