Aluminum wheel corrosion - Toyota response - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Aluminum wheel corrosion - Toyota response

I am seeking information from other FJ Cruiser owners who have experienced premature and excessive corrosion of the stock aluminum wheels. The coating that looks like "paint" to me but that the dealer calls "clear coat" on my stock 2007 wheels started to develop a few bubbles a year or so ago but the deterioration has accelerated quickly. Now all four wheels plus the spare have extensive delamination and peeling leaving areas where the surface coating is gone and the bare alloy is exposed.

My dealer says this would only have been covered under the 3/36 warranty (which has expired), however he did admit there have been occasional problems with this.

I think this problem is evidence of unacceptable quality and should not have happened in the lifetime of the wheel. I have driven under ordinary four season conditions and have taken ordinary care of the wheels and vehicle. I have never used any type of wheel cleaner or chemical.

I have been examining wheels on every other make and model vehicle and have seen nothing even remotely close to this kind of deterioration. I believe that it must be a manufacturing defect in the painting/coating process and would like to know what other owners have experienced in order to strengthen my ability to make my case with Toyota and the dealer:

Have you had corrosion damage (blistering, peeling, flaking etc) on Toyota aluminum wheels?

If so, what was your dealer and/or Toyotas response? At what level was the situation resolved?

Were the wheels replaced? Under warranty? How many miles were on the vehicle when replacement was made? Did Toyota pay the entire cost?

Thanks in advance for any information and suggestions that you can share.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Re: Aluminum wheel corrosion - Toyota response

Quote:
W9RAN previously said: View Post
Have you had corrosion damage (blistering, peeling, flaking etc) on Toyota aluminum wheels?

If so, what was your dealer and/or Toyotas response? At what level was the situation resolved?

Were the wheels replaced? Under warranty? How many miles were on the vehicle when replacement was made? Did Toyota pay the entire cost?
Yes, those look like crap if look closely. I bought new ones (XD801), so I don´t need those any more, I gave those to my friend.
Mine FJ is almost 6 years old, so I didn´t asked what mr. Toyota like them.

2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T Black Cherry CNG
My build-up thread
#3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bubbling and peeling on all five, couldn't be bothered to take them in for warranty. My past experience with warranty with Toyota has been piss poor so I don't even try anymore.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
#4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Same issue here...they traded out just one two yrs. ago. Said I was out of warranty.

Fabtech 6"+ OME 3" 20" BBS
Federal 35" M/T,1.25 spacers,Bushwhackers,Toy Outfitters bumper,All Pro Air Dam & sliders PIAA 540
Snorkal, Manik tailight guards,Midland 75-822, Bandi 3' fire stick, K & N filter,Locker on demand, ATrac hack, VSC & DRL switches, TRD Cat back, Scuba Mod, Garmin Nuvi, BlueSeas 6 fuse block,10.5K Recon Winch,Dual battery,leather seats,dual factory DVD players, Diamond trim, Source 10lb, Rubber mats. Swingout bumper,Mad Dog armor, EBC rotors,TRD pads,T-Rex grill
#5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I've lived in a salty, snowy 4 season area my entire life. This happens to aluminum wheels. I've seen it on Toyotas as well as Ford, Olds, etc. After almost 6 years on the road why would you think the dealer would do anything about it? You can't prove they were cared for properly and there is no stated "life expectancy" for an aluminum wheel because every set will experience a different environment and level of care. What does "ordinary care" mean? Cuz most "ordinary" folks I see driving around just take their car through the auto wash and don't pay any attention to the wheels(front ones always look black from brake dust). You say you "have never used any type of wheel cleaner". So you've never cleaned your wheels? Did you ever waxed them? I have. Every time I've taken them off and swapped with my steelies. There are only a few little individual bubbles here and there. But that also means the alloys have been in the garage the last 2 winters and avoiding the salt.

Point is, even if yours are in worse condition than they should be, they've been in service, in the elements for years and Toyota isn't gonna do anything about it. Explore your other options. Upgrade the look to some cool aftermarket rims. If you want to stay OEM, members sell their factory rims on the forum all the time after an upgrade and they're usually pretty cheap. You could have yours cleaned up and powder coated locally. Sorry to be a d**k, I just think you're wasting your time trying to start a campaign against Toyota. If you wanna fight, I think the fender bulge issue is a more important battle. Sorry your wheels look bad and it's gonna cost you money to fix, but such is life. Best of luck

2007 VooDoo 4x4 Auto - LOADED
OEM Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust
Ricochet bash plate, PureFJ sliders
Manik brush guard w/ Blitz 240s
Add'l 12v outlets, Scuba Mod, Amaesing hood decal.
08-09 side sun visors
265 Duratrac's on Raceline Rockcrusher. Bilstein 5100's to level the front.
Backup Camera w/ 7" monitor
Power rear window mod
Hemi71cuda's Build
#6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

50k miles Bubbling on all wheels I replace them for aftermarket

FJ - MAN"S BEST FRIEND
#7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to FJScott73

I am also experiencing the same issue on all 5 of my '08wheels. I bought the extended warranty to 60k and was wondering if its still covered. The only chemical that my wheels saw was Dawn ultra. I hand wash my Fj monthly. Not to be a D***k but who has time to wax there rims? I for 1 would be very willing to help the fight against toyota, and feel the wheels are a very inferior product compared to any other truck rim I have ever seen. My wife has a '94 celica and her wheels are in better shape then mine even with all the curb scraping she does. My wheels have never been scratched or hit in any way.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular

All 5 of mine have the corrosion. It started before the warranty expired. Toyota dealer in Toledo said there was nothing they could do. I could not prove I took care of them. I drove my wifes 01 Passat to dealer to show them how the Germans have alloy wheels that don't corrode. They would not do anything about it. Talked to manufacturer rep and he said he would look into it and i never heard from them again. I ended up sand blasting mine and had them painted

07 Black Cherry
Roof Rack
3" Rough Country lift
AVS bug guard and window visors
Aeroflow headlight covers
Magellan Cross-over GPS
GPS-Garmin Rhino 120 and 110
Firestone Destination AT 285/70R17
#9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Yea the coating is complete GARBAGE , if your cheap like me get them sandblasted and powder coated for 50$ a tire , black looks a 100x better anyways.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This has been an ongoing problem with 4runners too. Many have successfully had their wheels replaced by toyota after the 3 yr 36k mile warranty just by being a pita to corporate toyota and their local dealers. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.