Duratrac tires? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Duratrac tires?

Couple quick questions. First I currently have the bf goodrich rugged trail and they have about 24k miles. I live in the bay area, California and have big time issues hydroplaning when it rains. As such I desperately need new tires. I have my eyes on the Wrangler duratrac tires in 285/75/16 on a stock FJ. I think these will fit with no lift but I am willing to do the 2 inch leveling kit. Anyway, anyone have any suggestions? I know these get great reviews for snow and rain and all around great tire. I literally don't feel safe driving more that 45 in rain currently. And that isn't fun.

Thanks and happy holidays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I live up in wa and have the 285 duratracs on the fj and love them. My boyfriend also has them on his truck which he takes hunting and no problems in bad weather. As for puttin them on a stock fj i am not sure. I have a 3 in lift installed.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
Re: Duratrac tires?

So if you are up in Washington, I take it they are great in the rain? Any hydroplaning?
#4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Everything I have read says the duratracs are a great tire. A 285 will fit without a lift but a body mount chop will most likely be required. A quick search will return a lot more information.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

My Build:07 Black Cherry 6MT

You haven’t really failed, because you haven’t really tried to succeed. So don’t credit yourself as a failure. You’re worse than that.
- Take Me Home Tonight

#5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Cajun Moderator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Michigander previously said: View Post
Everything I have read says the duratracs are a great tire. A 285 will fit without a lift but a body mount chop will most likely be required. A quick search will return a lot more information.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
If he is on stock wheels he should be fine. I ran 285 BFG ATs on stock 17s for a good while and wasn't even close to the front mud flaps. Aftermarket wheels or spacers is where most folks tend to run into trouble with the body mount, or running 35s.

2001 UZJ-100 Land Cruiser - 35" MTRs, ARBs fr/rr, 4.88s, ARB front, BIOR rear & skids, Radflo 2.5s, OME springs, 1" BL, WKOR rails, DT headers
1997 FZJ-80 Locked - Sold
2007 Supercharged FJ Cruiser - Sold
-Layton
TLCA# 20623
#6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

i have some slight rubbing with my 3" lift.

great rain tire. lots of sipes.

2011 NSSE - Icon coilover - TotalChaos UCA - SAW rear coils - OME 895 rear medium shocks - Metal Tech slider - Metal Tech tube bumper - Viper Elite 10k Winch - PIAA 520 ATP - Midland 75-822 CB - Boztec antenna mount - Duratrac 285/70x17 - Scuba Mod - Ricochet skids - PIAA dual horn 400/500 - sPOD - Ellis Stealth Shift Knobs - MPAC rear/side rack - PLX Kiwi Bluetooth OBDII - Nestah Edition Firestik Radio Antenna - National Luna Single Battery Monitor - Tantrum Rock Lights - Outrider Shock Armor - Toy Outfitter LCA - Switched DRL's - Front rock cameras - Custom Rear Cargo Storage - Platinum PM-1 Battery - Raingler Cargo Nets - 10LB Powertank
#7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

I also run Dura Tracs (285x70x17) and they perform great in the rain. I hate running them for street tires just because of the expense and hating wearing them down on asphalt. They are great tires for off-road, I'm wanting to get a set of street tires or a mild AT and save the the Dura Tracs for off road use.

08 Brick

TLCA# 20417
4WD& Armrest w/ no other factory upgrades! Mods. FJ Newb SCUBA Mod, LED console lights, Sirius stereo, Garage opener mod, Additional 12v outlets, Cobra 75 CB/Bandi mount w/3'firestick. AllPro rear Lower Control Links and rear shock guards, Aero Flow Headlight Covers, Manually controlled E Locker, Iron Man lift & ASFIR Skids. Shrockworks custom sliders and Front bumper, Aux fuel tank. Custom A-Pillars, Viair On-Board Air system

#8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Location: Cortez, Colorado (2 Hours away from both the FJ Summit and Moab)
Garage

The duratracs are a great tire. I know tons of people run them with no issues or complaints so going with that tire option seems like a good one. And I would just do what was said above about doing some searching here on the forum, I'm sure you can find someone with a very similar setup of what you want to run. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose!

FJX2000 - Hayden
2007 TRD Special Edition FJ Cruiser - SOLD

Go to my GARAGE or click here to see the STORM DAMAGE TRD build thread!

I will be on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for 2 years starting Sept. 4, 2013. During that time, I will have no forum access so I wish you all the best and if you have a question about a thread I've done or my rig, refer to my build thread or see a moderator! See you in 2 years!

#9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had them here in Colorado for maybe two years now, great tires never had any issues with then on or off road.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 AM

(Thread Starter)

Thanks everyone. I am on stock rims,16's too. So I am thinking for normal street use and light off roaring for now they should be good fitting wise. Since they are only about 20 dollars more expensive than they stock size I might as well go big or go home!!!!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.