285 v. 305 predicament - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
285 v. 305 predicament

Hey everyone, new to THIS forum, but not Toyota forums or Cruiser forums in general. I have an 08' Black Diamond FJC with a few mods, but I'm about to go crazy with all the stock that I see. I've decided to go with a set of Camburg Coilovers and the body mount chop, but I can't decide which tires to roll with. I'm debating over 285/70/17 (approx 32.7 in. tires), or the 305/70/17 (approx 33.8 in. tires). 17 due to the fact that I want to keep my black stock steelies. With the 285s I can't imagine having an issue with rubbing, except for maybe a little at full lock, but with the 305s it's somewhat inevitable. So my question is what should I roll with? 285s or 305s? The 285s of course would be playing it conservatively, but the look of those 305s are amazing! So any feedback would be appreciated, anybody have experience with this dilemma, or maybe what you would do in order to prevent the rubbing with the 305s? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Re: 285 v. 305 predicament

Hello and welcome! I like my 285s, but then I've never liked vehicles with an over crowded wheel well. Good luck with your choice.

A grilled cheese, please!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Forum Regular

To add to this original post, I am also looking at tires and suspension. UCA, Coilovers.. I was gonna put in 1.5" wheel spacers due to the spindle gussets. if i did 285s or 305s would i need to a BMC? or would i rub?

REBEL OFF ROAD

2010 Iceberg. Total Chaos +2 Long Travel Kit. King 2.5 Coilovers with Compression Adjusters up Front. Icon Rear Springs. King Shocks with Resi in Rear. Borla XR-1. HID Headlights 8000K. TRD Cold Air Intake. AirRaid Thottle Body Spacer. Method Race Wheel NVs All Black. Toyo 35x12.50. Rigid Industries Grille with D2s. A pillar mounted D2s. Rigid Industries Light Roof Rack Light Bar. Spare Tire Rotopax Mount. CB Radio. Race Radio. Race Siren.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Location: Cortez, Colorado (2 Hours away from both the FJ Summit and Moab)
Garage

I know your talking about 17" wheels, but I faced the same decisions your going through with the 285 or 305 but with a 16" wheel. (And actually for me it was between 295 or 305)

I personally, like you, love the look of the 305s and just because of looks and because I wanted a wider tire with a wider stance, I got the 305s. And I haven't ever regretted it for a second! If i were you, I would just find someone who is running a setup similar to what you're wanting to run, and see what all they had to do to get no rubbing issues, because that's what I did.

I found someone running the same tire brand and size that I wanted to run, and he was also on the same TRD wheels as me so I knew exactly what I had to do from his very detailed build thread, such as getting the bmc done first of all. He also explained how for the first few months, he ran with just the wheels and tires and he eventually noticed rubbing on the UCA and because of this he got the Spidertrax wheel spacers, and that fixed his rubbing problem, and it just spaced the wheels in a way that I simply fell in love with. So I did exactly what he did, besides doing his same 3" lift, I only have a 2" leveling kit but it works just the same.

So yeah for you things are different since it's basically a 34" tire as opposed to a 33" but just search for someone with the same tire size and maybe even the same wheels or at least a wheel with the same specs and you'll have a good idea of what you need to do.

Good luck!!

FJX2000 - Hayden
2007 TRD Special Edition FJ Cruiser - SOLD

Go to my GARAGE or click here to see the STORM DAMAGE TRD build thread!

I will be on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for 2 years starting Sept. 4, 2013. During that time, I will have no forum access so I wish you all the best and if you have a question about a thread I've done or my rig, refer to my build thread or see a moderator! See you in 2 years!

#5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
FJX2000 previously said: View Post
I know your talking about 17" wheels, but I faced the same decisions your going through with the 285 or 305 but with a 16" wheel. (And actually for me it was between 295 or 305)

I personally, like you, love the look of the 305s and just because of looks and because I wanted a wider tire with a wider stance, I got the 305s. And I haven't ever regretted it for a second! If i were you, I would just find someone who is running a setup similar to what you're wanting to run, and see what all they had to do to get no rubbing issues, because that's what I did.

I found someone running the same tire brand and size that I wanted to run, and he was also on the same TRD wheels as me so I knew exactly what I had to do from his very detailed build thread, such as getting the bmc done first of all. He also explained how for the first few months, he ran with just the wheels and tires and he eventually noticed rubbing on the UCA and because of this he got the Spidertrax wheel spacers, and that fixed his rubbing problem, and it just spaced the wheels in a way that I simply fell in love with. So I did exactly what he did, besides doing his same 3" lift, I only have a 2" leveling kit but it works just the same.

So yeah for you things are different since it's basically a 34" tire as opposed to a 33" but just search for someone with the same tire size and maybe even the same wheels or at least a wheel with the same specs and you'll have a good idea of what you need to do.

Good luck!!
did your tire fit in the spare spot without hitting the bumper?

REBEL OFF ROAD

2010 Iceberg. Total Chaos +2 Long Travel Kit. King 2.5 Coilovers with Compression Adjusters up Front. Icon Rear Springs. King Shocks with Resi in Rear. Borla XR-1. HID Headlights 8000K. TRD Cold Air Intake. AirRaid Thottle Body Spacer. Method Race Wheel NVs All Black. Toyo 35x12.50. Rigid Industries Grille with D2s. A pillar mounted D2s. Rigid Industries Light Roof Rack Light Bar. Spare Tire Rotopax Mount. CB Radio. Race Radio. Race Siren.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJX2000 previously said: View Post

Good luck!!

Thanks a ton I appreciate the help I'm really opposed to purchasing any lift or leveling KIT, I plan on just rolling with COs. I'm pretty sure I will have to get wheel spacers as well considering I don't have the $ to be buying an aftermarket UCA. Just curious what exactly did you do to avoid rubbing, just curious? Ill probably end up doing the BMC plus some sledgehammering

08' Black Diamond FJ Cruiser
A-Trac
Rear Diff Locker
White Knuckle Offroad Sliders w/kickout
Hella amount of stickers
#7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
I have 285/70/17s and I needed a bmc for rubbing at turn. I have 3" coilover. You'll probably need a bmc either way u go.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Black 2010 w/ Offroad & Convenience Packages. TLCA # 21403. Louisiana Land Krewesers. Thanks to Friends for Help!

Icon. Light Racing. All-Pro. Goodyear MT/R. XD-125. BajaRack. Springtail M-PAC. Body Armor. Expedition One. Rugged Ridge. BudBuilt. Richochet. Toy Outfitters. PIAA. Flowmaster. TRD. Demello. Rigid. FourTreks.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
willinno previously said: View Post
I have 285/70/17s and I needed a bmc for rubbing at turn. I have 3" coilover. You'll probably need a bmc either way u go.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Yea BMC is almost a given in any situation regarding larger tires. Issue now is with the COs will I need more clearance. The wheel spacers will take care of the rubbing on the UCA, but the wheel well is another story due to the clearance factor.. Really don't want to bring out the sledgehammer, but to get those 305s on there it's probably worth it!

08' Black Diamond FJ Cruiser
A-Trac
Rear Diff Locker
White Knuckle Offroad Sliders w/kickout
Hella amount of stickers
#9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I'm running 305 kevlar mtrs on a 16" wheel. I have the light racing UCA and the OME heavies. even with my caster pushed forward to 4 degrees, I had rub on the BMC.

I REALLY like the look of the 305s!! Now the biggest problem I have run into is the spare tire mount. I have the metal tech rear bumper and it actually does not allow for clearance of a bigger tire, ive read even 285s have issues. I have a local shop building me a custom spare tire mount which should FINALLY be resolved tomorrow... Since you have an older model FJ, you can just flip the mount, I believe 2009 and up have the rear view cameras so its not so easy.

2010 Army Green 4x4 6 Speed.

URD Shortshift, Icon 2.5 CDC, Metal-Tech LT Heavy Rear, Metal-Tech LCA, Metal-Tech Front Tube and Red-Eye Rear Bumpers, Engo 1200 Winch, Boztec Diff Skid, Scuba, Snorkel, Gobi Stealth... and more
#10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Forum Superstar

Location: Cortez, Colorado (2 Hours away from both the FJ Summit and Moab)
Garage

Quote:
GabeRmrz previously said: View Post
did your tire fit in the spare spot without hitting the bumper?
It barely rubs on the bumper. But for me, even my old 285/75R16s were pretty close. But what the fellow that I copied did was just add some washers to where the bolts on the back door are for the spare tire mount and that spaced it enough so that there is complete clearance. So not that much is needed really, but for me, the rubbing is so minimal it's not a problem to me.

Quote:
jcfree previously said: View Post
Thanks a ton I appreciate the help I'm really opposed to purchasing any lift or leveling KIT, I plan on just rolling with COs. I'm pretty sure I will have to get wheel spacers as well considering I don't have the $ to be buying an aftermarket UCA. Just curious what exactly did you do to avoid rubbing, just curious? Ill probably end up doing the BMC plus some sledgehammering
All I did to avoid rubbing was do the body mount chop (of course) and then I got those wheel spacers so there wouldn't be rubbing on the upper control arm. However, what some people do is just buy aftermarket UCAs that are a lower profile than the stock ones. I wish I could have done this because aftermarket UCAs give your front end a lot more flex and play in the suspension as opposed to stock which is stiff as a rock.

And as for the back, with my tire/wheel setup, at full flex my tire fits PERFECTLY and I am not exaggerating. Here is a picture.

Now if I had a true 3" lift, then I would have even more clearance but as it is, it's a pretty awesome fit. I kind of wish though that I had Bushwacker flares, it could not only give that rear wheel more room to articulate but you'd also look lifted more!

FJX2000 - Hayden
2007 TRD Special Edition FJ Cruiser - SOLD

Go to my GARAGE or click here to see the STORM DAMAGE TRD build thread!

I will be on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for 2 years starting Sept. 4, 2013. During that time, I will have no forum access so I wish you all the best and if you have a question about a thread I've done or my rig, refer to my build thread or see a moderator! See you in 2 years!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.