Which AT's? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

View Poll Results: Which Tire?
Yokohama Geolander AT-S 0 0%
Dick Cepek Radial F-C II 1 4.00%
Dick Cepek Mud Country 0 0%
Cooper S/T Maxx 3 12.00%
Federal Couragia MT 0 0%
Other 21 84.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Which AT's?

Currently running Yokohama Geolander AT-S LT285/70r17 and have been pleased with them. They have done well for me at Moab, Ouray, Barnwell and Superlift. However, they appear to be hard to find right now so thinking of switching to a different, more aggressive tire. I like the Cooper S/T Maxx, Dick Cepek Radial F-C II or Mud Country, and Federal Couragia MT (if not too noisy and only cause they are <$200).

Looking for a good on-road tire, since I do more highway travel, but needs to handle offroad without too much chipping as with the conditions of the sharp slate at Superlift. Prefer spending under $300/tire and would rather them be closer to $200/tire.

Size: 33" so either 285/70, 295/70, 33x12.50 or other in 17". Also, I am running the stock 2011 rim (7.5"). Wouldn't mind getting new wheels, but at $300/tire, that isn't happening.

I am leaning towards the S/T Maxx tires right now because they seem to be a hybrid between the AT and MT as well as having that more aggressive look.

Sorry, I know this is about like asking opinions of which lift to get, but I am curious which of those listed have the higher recommendations.

If you vote other, let me know which ones please.

'08 Black Diamond 4x4 AT - Traded-in
'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers
NRA member - Proud Gun Owner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar
Re: Which AT's?

Everyone is going to say Duratrac as usual lol. Looks like you are looking for more of a MT though I suppose? I have been intriqued by the Trail Grapplers personally. I too have Geolandars, and dream about a more aggressive tire! They have worked well on my TRD 16s (Came with the rims on CL)

Nitto Trail Grapper 295/70/17 Installed w/ Pics

-Adam '07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

Bilstein 5100s | Superflex springs | ProComp ES9000 | LR UCAs | LT285/75r16 Terra Grapplers - Offroad wheels | Westin 55W 6" lights
TG Sliders | Ricochet Armor | Rocktek Link Armor | UltraGauge | Husky Liners | Midlands 75-822 - 3' Firestik - Boztec mount
Ellis Precision Shift knobs - handles | Discovery Overhead Console. w/ GPS | Lots of Fluid Film underneath | Scuba Mod

In VA? 757TOYOTA4x4

Last edited by iwashmycar; 01-17-2013 at 08:46 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
iwashmycar previously said: View Post
Everyone is going to say Duratrac as usual lol. Looks like you are looking for more of a MT though I suppose? I have been intriqued by the Trail Grapplers personally. I too have Geolandars, and dream about a more aggressive tire! They have worked well on my TRD 16s.
I have been looking at many tires lately and seen a lot of negative things about the Duratrac (thin sidewall) so haven't even really considered them.

Yea, I guess it is more towards a MT, but don't want the highway speed noise level that comes with them nor the softer tread that will chip easy. That is why I like the S/T Maxx because it is an AT/MT hybrid

'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers
#4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar

Those Coopers do look like one step up from the Geolandars, so probably actually a very good compromise. If performance was similar, I'd still pick a Duratrac based on it's looks over the Coopers though!

-Adam '07 Black Diamond 4WD AT UR

Bilstein 5100s | Superflex springs | ProComp ES9000 | LR UCAs | LT285/75r16 Terra Grapplers - Offroad wheels | Westin 55W 6" lights
TG Sliders | Ricochet Armor | Rocktek Link Armor | UltraGauge | Husky Liners | Midlands 75-822 - 3' Firestik - Boztec mount
Ellis Precision Shift knobs - handles | Discovery Overhead Console. w/ GPS | Lots of Fluid Film underneath | Scuba Mod

In VA? 757TOYOTA4x4
#5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage

I wouldn't worry so much about a little "chipping".

My Nitto Terra Grapplers have been through many trips in Colorado and Utah with almost 3,000 highway miles between each trip. Sure, the sandstone and sharp rocks have taken little chunks from the edge of the tread and some sipes all around but they still run smooth, round and quiet after over 40K miles.

I did remove them from the FJ only because I got a great deal on new treads from Discount Tire but still have them and may remount them this spring to rack up more miles before miles before switching back to the Coopers for Cruise Moab and Summit . . . not that the Coopers are any better in the Colorado and Utah conditions but they do look "cooler".

Let me also add, and I know I've said this many times on the forum, that I was on one of Bill Burke's trips in May 2010 and I was the only one not running BFG AT or BFG Mud Terrains or BFG KM2 and I was the only one that didn't get stuck (or rollover). Sure, some of this had to do with the FJ and ATRAC but the Nittos just went over stuff while the other guys were digging in and getting buried. Just look at people like Landcruising Adventure who've traveled the world on skinny non-aggressive tires.

FJ Summit Co-Director email: james at fjsummit dot org
2008 Sandstorm, Level 8 Guardian 16x8.5, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16E, Radflo suspension, Total Chaos UCAs, BudBuilts, Exp One w/Superwinch 9000s, Exp One rear bumper w/tire carrier, BajaRack, Dual batteries, Viair 450A and CO2, MetalTech upper and lower links, and some other goodies

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
iwashmycar previously said: View Post
Those Coopers do look like one step up from the Geolandars, so probably actually a very good compromise.
Yea the Coopers are the ones I am leaning towards as of right now. I have thought about getting the Federal MTs and a set of rims as well since they are cheaper.

'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers
#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Woodsman previously said: View Post
I wouldn't worry so much about a little "chipping".

My Nitto Terra Grapplers have been through many trips in Colorado and Utah with almost 3,000 highway miles between each trip. Sure, the sandstone and sharp rocks have taken little chunks from the edge of the tread and some sipes all around but they still run smooth, round and quiet after over 40K miles.

I did remove them from the FJ only because I got a great deal on new treads from Discount Tire but still have them and may remount them this spring to rack up more miles before miles before switching back to the Coopers for Cruise Moab and Summit . . . not that the Coopers are any better in the Colorado and Utah conditions but they do look "cooler".
Definitely cooler looking than my Geo's!

I have been looking on Discount for a similar deal, but they are not even show the Cooper tires for me.

'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers
#8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

So far the results are saying other.

Is this the DuraTrac and if so, are how are their sidewalls? Are they thin as I've heard?

'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers
#9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

BFG's have been really amazing. Slight hum at speed but really slings mud and grit right off. Does well for light offroading here in VA.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jwhite216 previously said: View Post
BFG's have been really amazing. Slight hum at speed but really slings mud and grit right off. Does well for light offroading here in VA.
My only concern about going a real mud tire, such as the BFG T/A KM2, other than noise, is how soft they are. I have seen brand new MTs get torn up at Superlift on the first use with chunks taken out of the lugs (which is more what I meant by chipping LOL). At Barnwell with the clay and dirt on dry days and mud on wet days, a mud tire would be ideal, but I try going to Superlift several times a year and the sharp slate rock would rip up softer rubber.

'11 Black 4x4 AT

Here is My Build

TMTC # 15994
TLCA # 21696
Louisiana Land Krewesers

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.