265 vs 285 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
265 vs 285

Hi, I'm from the Philippines. I currently have a 265/75/r16 tires (and stock FJ).
Looking for new tires, I'm torn between the stock 265/75/r16 or might try the 285/75/r16. I know that this was discussed numerous times that the 285/75/r16 tires will or not rub on stock FJ (no lift and no bmc).

1. To those who has current 285/75/r16 tires on stock fj, pls comment...
2. In terms of riding comfort, which is better, 265 or 285? (I dont go major offroading, main purpose of FJ is for everyday used and travelling)

Tires that i'm considering, all in A/T..

Nitto terra grapler
Mickey Thompson
Bridgestone

Thank you so much..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: 265 vs 285

I have the 285/75/R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers on mine (2.5 inch Old Man Emu lift). The tires have about 16,000 miles on them. I love the Nitto's, they're not even close to rubbing. They are surprisingly quite for mud tires (about the same sound as the stock BF Goodrich All-Terrain's - mine came with the off-road package and 16" wheels). I do rotate the tires every 3000 miles. I've heard you get about 40,000 out of the Nitto "Trail" Grapplers and mine seem in-line with that. They seem to handle well in snow, rain, and off-road. They took me up "The Wall" at the FJ Summit in about 10 to 15 seconds. I'd give the 5/5 stars. I hope that helps.

2008 FJ Cruiser in Digital Camo (all Toyota Paint), 4x4, 6 Speed Manual, Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75 R16 - E Rated, Expedition One Kodiak front bumper, PIAA 530 LED's, Rigid D2 LED's, LED Light Bar, Warn M8000 winch, All-Pro Rock Rails, 2.5 " OME Lift, All-Pro Skid Plates, Custom Backing Skid Plate, Off Road Package (16" Alloy Wheels, Cyclone Air Pre-cleaner, A-TRAC, Locking Rear Differential, Multi-Information Display), Convenience Package, OEM Roof Rack, OEM Heavy Duty Floor Mats.
Rich
#3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Man-up & go with 285's & trim the body mounts, you don't need a lift, but leveling the front (add 1") is a nice option.

The reason why we retain memories is because we are not are not caught in a time loop. The reason why we are not caught in a time loop is becasue it is not possible to go backwards in time only forward!
#4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)

I run 285/75/16's with no BMC, enough clearance to run them without cutting anything, 2.5" lift with Bilstein 5100's front and 1.5" rear spacer for a level look.

2010 SFM, M6, URD Short Shifter, Radflo 2.5 Ext Trav CO's/650lbs springs, Toytec RCC2.0 Springs/OME 60071L, LR UCA's, SkyJ SBE702 links, MT Front Bumper, MT LCA's, Trail Gear TC Skid, AllPro Sliders IFS/Trans/Lower Link Skids, Ricochet A-arm skids, Boztec Diff Skid, 16" TRD Wheels, Spidertrax 1.25", Firestone Destination MT 285/75/16, PIA 520's, Hella 700's
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post4292281
#5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

So, its safe to get a 285/75/16 with no rubbing issues on stock FJ. (no lift and no BMC)

(no plan on lifting the FJ and BMC, its a everyday car for me, what I like about the FJ is it give you the power you need on highway (for an SUV) and no need to slow down on small holes and bumps compared when I'm using a car)

How about the riding comfort of the 285/75/16? Is it noticeable compared to 265/75/16 (like heavier, bouncy ...). Or just the same?

tia..
#6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)

Honest advice!! Why are you considering going to the larger tire?? if you have no plans on lifting the vehicle and have no need for any addition ground clearance I think you should stay with the stock 265 size tire, they will be cheaper to purchase, look better than the 285 at stock ride hight and roll down the road slightly easier not effecting your gas milage and a little softer ride.... All stock appearance and it is your every day driver and transportation I see no benefit to you by increasing the tire size. There is nothing wrong with rolling a completely stock Cruiser.
Cheers.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 AM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
WaJohnZ previously said: View Post
Honest advice!! Why are you considering going to the larger tire?? if you have no plans on lifting the vehicle and have no need for any addition ground clearance I think you should stay with the stock 265 size tire, they will be cheaper to purchase, look better than the 285 at stock ride hight and roll down the road slightly easier not effecting your gas milage and a little softer ride.... All stock appearance and it is your every day driver and transportation I see no benefit to you by increasing the tire size. There is nothing wrong with rolling a completely stock Cruiser.
Cheers.
Wow!, thanks for the advice!! Actually i'm just looking for other options aside from having a stock tires. The pros and cons of having a stock 265 vs to upgrade to 285. If there is no advantage of having 285, ill stick to 265..
#8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

IMHO I went from 265 BFgoodrich ATs to 285/75/16r Nitto Trail Grapplers. 3 inch lift, TC UCAs, no BMC, daily driver. The Nitto's are awesome as a previous poster stated and they can get your through a lot. They look aggressive and fill in the wheel wells like no other. They also will last you a long time. The downside is that they are among the heaviest of 285 available. If you don't have a good mechanic to properly balance your going to get a lot of road noise. Your also going to see a loss of mileage. I agree that if this is your daily driver and you have no intent of going off road or anything harsh...stay with the 265s (maybe a more aggressive pattern). The BFGs were fantastic for me and handled, sounded great.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)

Quote:
wajohnz previously said: View Post
honest advice!! Why are you considering going to the larger tire?? If you have no plans on lifting the vehicle and have no need for any addition ground clearance i think you should stay with the stock 265 size tire, they will be cheaper to purchase, look better than the 285 at stock ride hight and roll down the road slightly easier not effecting your gas milage and a little softer ride.... All stock appearance and it is your every day driver and transportation i see no benefit to you by increasing the tire size. There is nothing wrong with rolling a completely stock cruiser.
Cheers.
+100

2010 SFM, M6, URD Short Shifter, Radflo 2.5 Ext Trav CO's/650lbs springs, Toytec RCC2.0 Springs/OME 60071L, LR UCA's, SkyJ SBE702 links, MT Front Bumper, MT LCA's, Trail Gear TC Skid, AllPro Sliders IFS/Trans/Lower Link Skids, Ricochet A-arm skids, Boztec Diff Skid, 16" TRD Wheels, Spidertrax 1.25", Firestone Destination MT 285/75/16, PIA 520's, Hella 700's
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post4292281
#10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thank you guys for your advices!. I'm just looking for new set of tires aside from being stock ( i thought wider tires might look better and bad ass than the 265), but if there are consequences, i might stick to 265.

I used my fj as daily driver, and like what I've said, what I like about the fj is the power you get for an SUV size (although not that comfortable). I prefer it driving fast rather than heavy offroad. If this will compromised by having a wider tires (285), i think 265 will better suits my daily need. I might just get the Nitto Terra Grapler or Mickey Thopson.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.