Goodyear AT Adventure Tire Review - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Goodyear AT Adventure Tire Review

So it was time for new tires. After much research, I decided to actually go with a brand new tire from Goodyear that came out in August. I purchased 285/70/17 Goodyear AT Adventure tires to replace my Toyo Open Country AT's (which sucked IMO). My tire choices prior to purchase were the Firestone Destination AT and the Cooper Discoverer AT3.

My thoughts on the Toyo Open Country AT - 285/70/17 - I would like to say the tires performance dramatically declined once the tires began to wear. From the get go the tires had poor snow and mud traction, once worn a big they were very slippery on dry dirt roads. They did perform fairly well on rock surfaces. The on road performance was fine as long as the road was dry. I also came to realize these tires were somewhat loud.

My driving habits - Mostly on road, a lot of snow/winter driving here in the mountains. I enjoy taking long trips to ski, bike or camp so I wanted a tire with good road manners. I often access a lot of dirt roads to get to hiking/mtb areas, but also wanted a tire that could handle some gnarlier trips when desired such as CO mountain pass trips and Moab.

Why I chose the Goodyear Adventure tires - After I found out about the tire I read some bland reviews from testers during the tires launch. I looked into the Goodyear Silent Armor reviews and found them to be very positive and the tread patters have some similarities. I compared the tread of the Adventure to a few of the tires I was interested in and I felt the pattern along with the siping would make the tire very good for snow, mud, dirt roads and a solid tire on the road also. The tires come with a 60,000 mile warranty, 2 layers of kevlar and feature a "severe snow condition" rating.

First Impressions - The tires look great on the FJ. The first few days with the tires I did some long road drives with speeds around 60-70 and got the tires over 90 mph also. The first thing I noticed is how quiet the tires were, they also handled well in turns and felt solid. I drove some dry dirt roads and was very pleased with the traction and predictability of the tires.

The Tests -

- Tomichi Pass - Saturday - I encountered steep sections with 4-6" of snow, sometimes over slick rocks, multiple stream crossings and some light mud. The tires performed great going up and down. I tried to see if the truck would slip on some snowy uphills and the tires continuously gave me traction. Going down slippery steep sections I felt very comfortable and the tires once again performed great.
Goodyear AT Adventure Tire Review-img_3666.jpg

- Paradise Divide and parts of Schofield Pass - Sunday - Much of the trail was wet. We went through steep slick muddy sections, snow and some very (unexpectedly) deep mud puddles also. I thought for sure I would get the tires to spin in some sections but I was proven wrong. The tires self clean very quickly which gave me traction going from mud, to snow and back to mud again. Even when wet the tires gripped rock surface well.
Goodyear AT Adventure Tire Review-img_3684.jpg

Overall I am super stoked on the these tires, just thought I would give a review since they are new and some of you may be interested. Here are some closeup shots of the tires.
Goodyear AT Adventure Tire Review-img_3645.jpg
Goodyear AT Adventure Tire Review-img_3646.jpg
Goodyear AT Adventure Tire Review-img_3647.jpg

Cheers - Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Re: Goodyear AT Adventure Tire Review

Great Review and pictures! Thanks for posting!
#3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Interesting looking tires. I had GY Silent Armor tires on my work Expedition a few years ago. It handled several blizzard events that closed down the state with no problem. I was thinking about replacing my OEM tires with GY SA tires but I like the Adventure better. The SA only has two rows of lugs in the center so the Adventures should have better grip and be quieter on the highway.

Let us know how you like them after you get some miles on them.

2008 Sandstorm 4X4 auto, OF, CQ, C7, RF, Tuffy Center Console, Trail Gear sliders

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 PM

(Thread Starter)

Here's an update on these tires- I have a few thousand miles on these tires so far and I am very pleased. Quiet and smooth on long high speed drives from CO to SLC. I have done some off roading in Moab and I was very pleased with the performance. Here in Gunnison we have had a great start to winter and I have been driving theses tires on snow and ice for about a month. It's cold as f$*^ in Gunnison and once we get snow and ice the roads turn into a sheet of hardpack snow and ice! These tires are predictable on the slippery stuff and I'm really impressed with braking and turning stability. In 4wd I can step on the gas and the tires grip really well, even on icy surfaces. I ski at Monarch and driving that pass has been great too. So far so good, these tires are predictable and make winter driving much more enjoyable. Huge difference over my Toyo AT's. Def would recommend!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 PM

Thanks !! Sounds like similar driving habits(less off road for me). I will be looking at these as well as the firestone and BFG A/T's
#6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
imaduner previously said: View Post
Thanks !! Sounds like similar driving habits(less off road for me). I will be looking at these as well as the firestone and BFG A/T's
I have the BFG ATs that came with the TT package and IMO the performance in snow has been sub-par. In a few inches of snow with a slight incline, the FJ was loosing traction and would slip momentarily (6MT with fulltime 4WD). My Tahoe with mud tires in 2WD did not have a problem, and my friend's FJ with Goodyear SAs did not have any issues.

2012 TT 6MT: ICON Extended Travel Coil Overs, Icon Rear Lift, Total Chaos UCAs, Richochet/All Pro Skid Plates, Flowmaster 50 Series, TRD Intake Element, Freedom Windows, Bandi CB Mount, 55W 5000k HIDs, Interior Zombie Lights.

Last edited by Zed 71; 12-19-2013 at 08:30 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Forum Veteran

It's been a few months since you posted. How did the tires hold up so far? How did they do with snow and ice with this winter?

2008 Sandstorm 4X4 auto, OF, CQ, C7, RF, Tuffy Center Console, Trail Gear sliders

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the review. I've been doing research for the last few weeks for new tires and think you have helped me make my decision. I was just wondering how much of a difference you think the 285's made instead of the stock 265's? I know it's not a big difference but there isn't any rubbing is there?
#9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 AM

(Thread Starter)

So winter is coming to an end (everywhere else but Gunnison) and these tires did amazing. I skied 40+ days this season most of which were at Monarch. I have driven to and from Monarch in everything from white out snow, icy packed roads and slush and these tires handled very well. I did notice the manufacturer pressure recommendation is 60 or 65 PSI which is great for pavement travel but lowering the pressure def. seemed to give the tires some extra grip in snowy conditions.

As far as 265 vs 285 before my truck was lifted 3" I did run 285's and they only rubbed when the wheel was cut hard and/or the truck hit a bump during a very sharp turn (I mean like parking lot sharp turns not road). With the 3" lift and the 285's there is absolutely not rubbing every that I have experienced and my gas mileage does not seem to be effected. I can get 20-22 mpg on highway trips depending on how much gear is loaded in the truck.

So overall these tires were awesome in the winter, I would def. stick with my recommendation. Cheers!
#10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Forum Veteran

Thanks Fred! Appreciate the info, sounds like the tires are a good replacement for the Silent Armors. Any issues with them losing balance? I had a couple sets of SA's on my work Expedition and they were a real PITA to keep balanced. Anything over 65mph wobbled like a weeble!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.