TOYO Open Country AT 285/70 R17 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
TOYO Open Country AT 285/70 R17

As long as I get a 3" lift, these should fit just fine, right?

It's down to these, the Revos, or the BFG AT KO's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Forum Superstar

Re: TOYO Open Country AT 285/70 R17

Any tire in that size will fit with a 3" lift, although if you do some off-roading you still might need/want to do the body mount chop to make sure there is no rubbing.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Ugh, I don't want to **** with the body mounts -- should I go down to 275 then?
#4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Forum Veteran

I didn't want to chop either.

I was looking at a set of Toyo Open Country MTs but when I found out the only size I could get that would fit a 17" wheel was 295s, I had to change my plans rather extremely.

I'm now going to end up doing a set of Open Country MTs at 275/70/18.

I know that 18" wheels are a no-no off road but I don't think it will be too much of a problem in real world situations, considering my wheeling is pretty tame stuff.

THE VEHICLE: 2007 Titanium Metallic FJ Cruiser - AT 4x4 aka BRUISER
SUSPENSION: OME/ToyTec 3" - N140S Front Shocks, 885 Medium Front Coils, N71E Rear Shocks, ToyTec Custom Rear Coils
TIRES: BFG M/T KM2285/70/17 on Stock Alloys
EQUIPMENT: (4) PIAA Lights - Roof Racked, OEM Sliders
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:10 AM

How long should it take toyota to install the tow hitch to my fj?
I JUST DONT WANT TO GET RIPPED OFF.
I DROPED IT OFF TWO HOURS AGO AND STILL NO CALL
#6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Forum Master

Quote:
Landrover previously said: View Post
Any tire in that size will fit with a 3" lift, although if you do some off-roading you still might need/want to do the body mount chop to make sure there is no rubbing.
Quote:
athos previously said: View Post
Ugh, I don't want to **** with the body mounts -- should I go down to 275 then?
Keep in mind, results may vary. Some have discovered that trim was necessary, others in fact did not. I have OME lift with 285 mud tires, with no trim required. Even flexed, my tires have clearance.

Quote:
Kyle Dreaden previously said: View Post
I didn't want to chop either.

I was looking at a set of Toyo Open Country MTs but when I found out the only size I could get that would fit a 17" wheel was 295s, I had to change my plans rather extremely.

I'm now going to end up doing a set of Open Country MTs at 275/70/18.

I know that 18" wheels are a no-no off road but I don't think it will be too much of a problem in real world situations, considering my wheeling is pretty tame stuff.
Don't sweat the 18 inch wheels. However, I thought you could get the open country MTs in 33 inch sizes?
Some have gone with 295 MTs, but a chop was in order.

- Chris
TLCA # 16780

2007 FJ: Voodoo Blue, AT w/ CQ UR2, FJ Roof Rack, Factory rails, hitch, skid plate,TRD intake + exhaust, ScanGaugeII
885/895 OME Lift, OEM black steelies

Smokey Mountain Cruisers
#7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
fivestar13 previously said: View Post
Don't sweat the 18 inch wheels. However, I thought you could get the open country MTs in 33 inch sizes?
Some have gone with 295 MTs, but a chop was in order.
Yeah, I think the 18's are going to be more than fine.

I'll be honest, as new as I am to wheeling/modding, I don't fully understand the sizing standards for tires/wheels. From what I understand, the 285/275/etc. number in the front of a tire size spec refers to the width of the tire. I know that a 285 will fit without trimming on most tires, and I know that a 295 and a few up can fit with trimming. However, the tire I'm interested in doesn't come in a 285/70/17 or 285/70/18. It does, however, come in a 295/70/17, and a 275/70/18. With that in mind, I decided to go with the 275's on 18" AR teflon Chambers (or thugs if I can find some soon).

I also noticed that on tirerack and some of the others, the tire sizes available are listed with some in the 285/70/17 format and some in 33" etc. formatting.

I know what will fit in the first size spec standard, but what can I put on as far as the inches measurement standard?

THE VEHICLE: 2007 Titanium Metallic FJ Cruiser - AT 4x4 aka BRUISER
SUSPENSION: OME/ToyTec 3" - N140S Front Shocks, 885 Medium Front Coils, N71E Rear Shocks, ToyTec Custom Rear Coils
TIRES: BFG M/T KM2285/70/17 on Stock Alloys
EQUIPMENT: (4) PIAA Lights - Roof Racked, OEM Sliders
#8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Forum Veteran

A 285/70-17 comes out to 32.7 inches, but give or take depending on brand. Usually you'll see 33/12.50-17, which is wider than a 285/70-17.
Why not just get the 285's? If you have any rub at all, it will be at almost full articulation and not bad. I was running 285's with no lift for months with only the slightest rubbing at full articulation. Now that I'm lifted I haven't had any issues. I plan on going to 35's and dealing with a little bit of rubbing, fwiw.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Forum Regular

If you keep them on stock rims you won't have a problem with a 3" lift. I think the people that have issues with the body mount rubbing have upgraded to wider rims or rims that have a different offset. I'm partial to the 285/70-17 Nittos myself (same green tire as the Toyos). They have never rubbed and I've even put mine on the RTI ramp recently for a full rub check. Trust me they would have rubbed by now.
Attached Images

"I AM my own worst enemy."

'12 TT Radiant Red w/ 2.5" Daystar, TRD rims, Nitto TG's 295/75/16, Demello and AllPro bumpers, 4+ Skids. - The addiction continues . . . .

'07 Black Diamond w/ Daystar 2.5", 315/70-17 MT MTX's, Stock Steelies, BMC, LCA Sliders, Toytech superflex springs- Simple but effective -SOLD.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Kyle Dreaden previously said: View Post
Yeah, I think the 18's are going to be more than fine.

I'll be honest, as new as I am to wheeling/modding, I don't fully understand the sizing standards for tires/wheels. From what I understand, the 285/275/etc. number in the front of a tire size spec refers to the width of the tire. I know that a 285 will fit without trimming on most tires, and I know that a 295 and a few up can fit with trimming. However, the tire I'm interested in doesn't come in a 285/70/17 or 285/70/18. It does, however, come in a 295/70/17, and a 275/70/18. With that in mind, I decided to go with the 275's on 18" AR teflon Chambers (or thugs if I can find some soon).

I also noticed that on tirerack and some of the others, the tire sizes available are listed with some in the 285/70/17 format and some in 33" etc. formatting.

I know what will fit in the first size spec standard, but what can I put on as far as the inches measurement standard?

Have you considered a 16" rim? If you are thinking 18, you must be getting new wheels anyway. You may find more selection w/o chop and get the width tire you want. JMO

Blacksand Beast.
El Toro Rojo

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...toro-rojo.html

FJC Club ( Creepin' n Climbin')
Aloha FJ Cruisers (Wheelin' in paradise)
SoCal FJ Cruisers tag-a-long

Last edited by 4XX4; 04-23-2007 at 01:52 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.