Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Actual Tire Height when mounted

7K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  51062 
#1 ·
All,

I have been bouncing around trying to decide on a new tire and size.. mostly 34 -35". This morning I decided to measure my current MT ATZs 33x12.5x17 and was surprised by the actual measurement. I realize I have a good 50K + miles on mine and never did measure them when new.

Was hoping some people could post of similar pics in 17" wheel size. In particular 305/70/17 MTr and 315/70/17 or 285/70/17 Duratracs.

Here is what I am looking for in the pic.... I hope this additional info will help others in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Please provide the tire and size info.

Example:

Mickey Thompson ATZ 33x12.5x17

See less See more
#3 ·
I wonder if a little mathematics will work for you. The MTRs at 34.1" and the Duratracs at 34.4". If you divide those numbers in half to get the center point and then measure up to where the top of the tire would be. If you measure your fender gap once the new height is established and add the difference of the old center point and the new center point to get but you have to take sidewall height into consideration....Oh hell I have to stop. My brain just swelled.

Somebody come up with some pics and measurements please.

#4 ·
I can think of 4 things -

1. Most tires spec smaller than there size (Eg. mickey thomspon atz specs are 32.6x12.3)
2. On the truck with the pressure on the tire you can easily expect your measurement to be small by 1" or more.
3. Don't know what rims you have but if they are narrower than the tire specs than it can affect the overall diameter a bit.
4. Treads are worn!

#5 ·
IDK if this will help.

Say you have a 255/80/17 and want to know how tall it is.

You take 255 and divide it by 25.4. you get 10.03. that is your width in inches.

Then you take the 10.03 and times it by the second number with a decimal in front of it.

10.03 x .80 =8.02. this is the height of your sidewall.

So now you add the sidewall below the rim and above the rim. 8.02 plus 8.02= 16.04

Add in your rim size and walah!!! 16.04 + 17= 33.04.

I saw this size in BFG KM2's. Awesome tire for a stock wheel.

255 80 17 Bfg Km2 on Tire Rack

Hope this is helpful.... Math class is now over.

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses.. Bar3K thanks for the measurements. This is what I was looking for. I understand how to get a numbers from a tire size. Was just hoping to get some pics and or size of tires when then are actually mounted.

If you see from my pic I am not even at 32 on my 33x12.5x17 ATZs. Original size was supposed to be 32.6. Just found it interesting.

Thanks again.

#10 ·
I've got E rated 285/75/16 Terra Grapplers. They advertise 32.76" diameter.

They are probably at 40% and measure like 31.25-31.5". Also on only a 7" wide wheel at 42psi

#14 ·
Those dura traks according to calcs SHOULD be 34. Odd how different tires differ. Stock tires are supposedly 31.7 according to Bridgestone. Just measured them out at just over 31'. Id be interested in know this info too as Im looking into tires in a couple months. Good post! Anyone have 285/75/16's they would throw into the mix?

#17 ·
maybe I misread something here, but you guys do realize that your still rolling the true diameter of the tire. 1 rev = x amount of feet.

were you just looking for static height?

the 315/70/17`s I have are 34.4. I`ll check them when I adjust the final air pressure.

#20 ·
crap just noticed jabartram posted one... but wouldn't mind seeing if a second are the same. I really wish Duratracs came in the 305/70/17.... I don't really need the MTRs but I like the size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.