35x10.5x16. Will these work? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
35x10.5x16. Will these work?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at tires for offroad and looking at all options. I came across a 35x10.5x16 and wasn't quite sure how that translates to the more familiar ratio. Does it translate into 265/90/16? If so, do you think I'll have issues with rubbing if mounts are chopped? I'm thinking that although the overall diameter is 34.8, it'll be a rather skinny tire and should allow decent articulation. Yes? No?

Thanks.

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: 35x10.5x16. Will these work?

I learned recently on just some light 4x4ing that my tires in front rub like crazy dammit - cool sound though. 34'4s. 35s must rub, regardless of BM cut, lift - may be wrong, who knows.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

The way you read this format 35x10.5x16 is that the first number is the rough overall diameter, the second is the max section width and the third is the rim diameter. All are in inches - so it's a much more readable definition than the other standard. I got to imagine that this tire will be damn near perfect - Interco SSR?

265/90R16 sounds right for the metric equivalent...

"<Simplify the world to a ridiculous degree, then state as a pithy one sentence quote to create illusion of deep insight>" - <insert attribution>

"The English, lacking a soul of their own, must move through the world in search of those of others." - paraphrased Bedouin judgement, as related by Colin Thubron.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Noisycow previously said: View Post
I learned recently on just some light 4x4ing that my tires in front rub like crazy dammit - cool sound though. 34'4s. 35s must rub, regardless of BM cut, lift - may be wrong, who knows.
What size do you have (width and OD)?

Oh, and where do you get your avatars from?

EDIT: are you just rubbing on the plastic fender? Mine rubs on that stuff and I keep making it better by trimming with a craft knife while out on the trail... Almost no noise now...

"<Simplify the world to a ridiculous degree, then state as a pithy one sentence quote to create illusion of deep insight>" - <insert attribution>

"The English, lacking a soul of their own, must move through the world in search of those of others." - paraphrased Bedouin judgement, as related by Colin Thubron.

Last edited by mir207; 07-02-2007 at 01:21 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)

It's the Interco Boggers. Was thinking either the LTB or the Boggers. I know they are suppose to be for mud, but I've read quite a few good reviews of how they perform on rocks too. Mir, you got me looking at the Pitbulls too. They sure have some good reviews too.

Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar
#6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
Fjamming previously said: View Post
It's the Interco Boggers. Was thinking either the LTB or the Boggers. I know they are suppose to be for mud, but I've read quite a few good reviews of how they perform on rocks too. Mir, you got me looking at the Pitbulls too. They sure have some good reviews too.
There was a good thread on here a while ago about the LTB's (the 34's). Search for "pizza cutters" or something like that. Some of the guys with a bunch of experience really liked them and thought that size was perfect.

#7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)

The boggers are just a little taller then the LTBs. Bogger's OD is 34.8 where the LTB is 33.6. The Boggers are almost $100 more expensive though.

Sandoo Blue FJ
SoCal Events Calendar
#8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 AM
Forum Superstar

Location: Somewhere where I don't know where I am. Actually, the OC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to MudLovingFJ

dont go for a taller tire unless you are going to be doing trails where a 35" is absolutely neccessary. and those trails might promise body damages as well, so i think you might be staying away from those. my tires are supposed to be 33" but they are about 32.6" tall. i have had no problems so far with running a smaller size tire compared to a 35"

the boggers look a little too overkill to me, but that would make the rig look super sweet.

but if these are gonna be trail only tires, then get the cheaper ones so that you dont have to worry about messing them up on rocks and such. and replacement of a dead tire will hurt the wallet less

2007 Sun Fusion Cruiser 5AT 4X4 SOLD
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.

ICONs/35s/Demello

The So-Cal Safari Snorkel Install Guy 14 chicken necks installed to date
#9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Quote:
MudLovingFJ previously said: View Post
dont go for a taller tire unless you are going to be doing trails where a 35" is absolutely neccessary. and those trails might promise body damages as well, so i think you might be staying away from those. my tires are supposed to be 33" but they are about 32.6" tall. i have had no problems so far with running a smaller size tire compared to a 35"

the boggers look a little too overkill to me, but that would make the rig look super sweet.

but if these are gonna be trail only tires, then get the cheaper ones so that you dont have to worry about messing them up on rocks and such. and replacement of a dead tire will hurt the wallet less
All good points, plus there's the extra strain on the drivetrain / regear issues...

#10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)

I checked the ratios and it seems the 34.8s will affect gearing minimally (68mph instead of 65mph). I really don't like stop-gap type of upgrades. I know wide 35s are really rough on the steering, but maybe skinny 35s be ok. Boggers are heavy though. Leaning towards the LTBs, but not even close on making a decision. Mir, get cracking on your Staz! I'm installing suspension this week (Thursday) and want to have some tires/wheels soon. Btw, I do think 3" lift on stock tires will look funny but hehe :P. I'll just have to hit the trails more often!

Sandoo Blue FJ
SoCal Events Calendar

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.