33 inch tire vs 35 inch tire... - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 33 inch tire vs 35 inch tire...

A lift and tires are on the horizon for my fj, in regards to the wear and tear,
how much more damage does a 35 inch tire cause compared to a 33 inch tire?
thanks for your comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Forum Superstar

Re: 33 inch tire vs 35 inch tire...

a 35" tire will stress the vehicle a lot more than a 33" tire will.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Forum Veteran

You will need to do some mods to the wheel well as well with the 35in. tires.

Ask RockCrawler about what has been done to his rig to get 35's to fit. I think in the end, that truck went back to 33's cause it just wasn't worth the hassle. 33's will also decrease the amount of articulation that you have.

Molon Labe

Give me Rep points...Or I'll date your sister.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Jas12682 previously said: View Post
A lift and tires are on the horizon for my fj, in regards to the wear and tear,
how much more damage does a 35 inch tire cause compared to a 33 inch tire?
thanks for your comments
Going to 35" depends on whether you want the tire to fit under all circumstances or just for street / light offroading. The 33" is the biggest tire that can fit under all combinations of turn, stuff, and weight distribution. Check out my experiments.

"<Simplify the world to a ridiculous degree, then state as a pithy one sentence quote to create illusion of deep insight>" - <insert attribution>

"The English, lacking a soul of their own, must move through the world in search of those of others." - paraphrased Bedouin judgement, as related by Colin Thubron.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Emeritus Moderator

If going with the 35" tire, you will need to re-gear too. All-Pro sells what you need for re-gearing. I will tell you it's a little expensive, ARB front locker, new housing, gears, about $3,500. You will more than likely need to go to a bigger brake too to stop the extra rolling weight. Just my 2 cents.

"Good people sleep peacefully at night safe in the knowledge that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" (George Orwell)

TLCA Member : #18084

Honorary AZFJ Club Member

Honorary SoCal Club Member

FJ Cruiser Club Member

Meet The RAPTOR 2007 TRD SE

#6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

35's will most likely result in considerable stress to your CV's if you plan on wheeling your FJ much; much more than 34's (or smaller) will (not to mention the added clearance issues). A number of people are running 35's, but probably not for a long enough period of time to reliably test the durability of CV's while running them.

Jim
#7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Pacific Coast Moderator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm running 34's and while I do like them, my next set will be 33's. I still get some rubbing at full compression when rock crawling.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

#8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Trail Snail

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With the 2.5 or 3" suspension lifts that many of us have, some 35"s won't fit, even with the body mounts chopped. I tried 35" Toyo Open Country MT's with no luck. Ended up with 33"s - kinda glad that I had to go with 33"s ... save on wear and tear.

_____________________________ _____________________________

Trail Snail

'07 GSJ15
#9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
mir207 previously said: View Post
Going to 35" depends on whether you want the tire to fit under all circumstances or just for street / light offroading. The 33" is the biggest tire that can fit under all combinations of turn, stuff, and weight distribution. Check out my experiments.
Although I agree it's a challenge, I went with larger tires than these and have had a stable result after wheel well modification. I have 315/75/16's on 4" backspace (so they don't stick out as far as the 3.75's and don't require as much front wheel well. I've trimmed but not removed the fender flares and trimmed the body sheet metal. I have a 3/4" bump stop drop in back which will soon be removed to see if I can reclaim that up-travel without contact.

35's for full offroad capability are do-able, if you're willing to work for it.

-Jon-
#10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
BellyDoc previously said: View Post
Although I agree it's a challenge, I went with larger tires than these and have had a stable result after wheel well modification. I have 315/75/16's on 4" backspace (so they don't stick out as far as the 3.75's and don't require as much front wheel well. I've trimmed but not removed the fender flares and trimmed the body sheet metal. I have a 3/4" bump stop drop in back which will soon be removed to see if I can reclaim that up-travel without contact.

35's for full offroad capability are do-able, if you're willing to work for it.
I agree that you can make a 35" sit inside the well for any combination of turn and stuff if you cut, pound, chop everything for a vehicle so long as the vehicle load is evenly distributed (e.g. vehicle is sitting on level ground). The problems come when you roll much of the weight of the vehicle over on to one (maybe even turning, front) wheel. That wheel gets pushed back and into the frame in a number of places (see my photos). This clear fit maximum is about 33 ish " and is not very dependent on tire width. By 35" there would be significant frame interactions. These possibly could be limited by stops that limit range of turn and or stuff. But the (surprising) bottom line results from my tests were that even savagely chopped / cut / removed mounts, wells, and fender flares still limit to tires just over 33" in some perverse (but crawler encountered) situations.

As usual, I'm happy to be proven wrong in well photo-documented experiments, such as those shown on my other link.

"<Simplify the world to a ridiculous degree, then state as a pithy one sentence quote to create illusion of deep insight>" - <insert attribution>

"The English, lacking a soul of their own, must move through the world in search of those of others." - paraphrased Bedouin judgement, as related by Colin Thubron.

Last edited by mir207; 08-23-2007 at 03:10 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.