Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Best size tire for 3" lift

16K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  camdz 
#1 ·
I have a Toy-tec 3" lift and I running 264 stock size Nitto tera grappler's . Should I go 285s or 275s pros n cons this is my DD.

#2 ·
285's min dude, no cons unless you want to have an excuse not to run them, really, DD or not. My excuses, 33's look great with my lift, and I don't need to re-gear my truck from the factory 3.91's like I will with 315's. 295's are only .5" taller, so I don't bother with that, I have longer rear shocks in the back, and at full stuff, 33's will tuck pretty much all the way to the fender well, with 35's i'll have to space out the bum stops and change my wheels since I don't want to run wheel spacers, plus i'll have to do a very aggressive BMC, currently no BMC for me, no rub, and happy with everything I ask the FJ to do... so, write down your own excuses, and go with whatever makes you happier. :)

#6 ·
Thanks for your input. I just want to fill up the fender wells. I want a tire that still good on the road and don't want to change the gearing. Was thinking 285 70 17 on the stock rims. I don't want to have to do a body chop. :cheers:

#4 ·
There is an inverse sine function that will provide the formula for the amount of reduced MPG in relation to tire size. Braking and "pep" will also be reduced. The larger tires are heaver and as they age they may become out of round and unbalanced to the point you have to get rid of them before they wear out. On the plus side ground clearance, smoother ride and a better ability to float over objects are associated with larger tires.

There is no one size fits all. You either have to keep 2 sets of tires or suffer the negatives of the choice.

#9 ·
I have 2 sets of wheels -dd- factory rims with pos stock size tires and a set of Chaos 6 rims with 285 70 17 BFG mud tires for vacations. (No additional mods needed) The FJ looks tame/lame right after the switch back from vacation tires but I just cant see wearing out a 1200.00 set of soft sticky off-road tires and suffering a loss of 5 mpg to go to the mall, get groceries and visit the in laws.

#10 ·
I will vote 285/70/17s. They are a bit heavier and you will see a hit in gas mileage, but its negligible. I didn't notice any power difference at all. Everyone's mileage varies on the MPG's, but a lot has to do with whats in their vehicle, location, weather, etc.

I have a 3" lift with 285/70/17 D rated Duratracs. My gas mileage decreased 1.5mpg with both the tire and lift upgrade combined. This has been tracked on Fuelly since I have owned the vehicle and is very consistent. Ive also added ricochet skids and a hi lift up top, but doubt they make a difference.

So yes overtime that will add up. Im missing out on 22-25 miles per tank, which is something like $5 per fill up. To me its worth it to have a more durable tire, and one that looks better with the lift. I also like them at stock height/leveled too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.