Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Nitto Terra Grappler G2?

62K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  rd.sail 
#1 ·
I came across these Nitto Instagram posts this morning. With hashtags #G2 #terragrappler #makethebestbetter,
it would appear Nitto is gearing up for yet another tire launch.

Who's ready for the Nitto Terra Grappler G2?

See less See more
#2 ·
Bring it on ! ! !:rocker:

#3 ·
I'm looking at the Terra Grappler 285/75R16 D rated to replace my 265/75R16 D rated KO's. Then I thought, I can wait a little bit longer for the new G2 version. :smile

Then I read this:
"The Terra Grappler G2 will launch on October 1, 2014 with 20 sizes, and ultimately be available in 55 sizes for popular 17, 18, 20 and 22-inch wheel diameter fitments."

No 16" in the G2. :crying

Looks like I will need to grab a set of TGs before they are gone and replaced by the G2's.

#4 ·
Just Nittos version of the Toyo AT2. They are owned by Toyo.
Same pattern same warranty just different side walls

#8 ·
Since Goodyear discontinued the Duratrac in 305/70-16 I may have to consider these when the time comes...

#9 ·
I wonder if they'll be available in a D rated 285x70x17 size.

#13 ·
I just ordered a set of 265-70-17 nitto TG G2s. I got the 4ply tire. I do not need a Load E tire. This is for my trail edition 4runner. I like the way the stock tires ride, brake, and handle. I didn't want to add weight to the tires, so this will fit my needs. Since my FJ is my main off road rig, I wanted something road friendly and to maintain my MPG. I also hope these tires will be good for occasional light duty off-roading. Since these are new tires, I have not been able to find any legit reviews. I hope I like them.

I will post a review after I get them. I probably will not review them as thoroughly as I did way back when I did the KM2's. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/37079-report-bfg-km-2-a.html

Cheers, Steve

#15 ·
This past weekend, I had a set of 285s mounted on my steelies to use for road trips and times of the year when I'm not doing much wheeling and don't want to listen to the 16" Mud Grapplers I currently also have on order. :D

I've had the original TGs on a different truck in the past, but it's difficult to compare since the size and profile is a lot different. I can say that the G2s are really quiet and ride extremely nice, and I'm stoked about the 65k warranty. They look a little pedestrian compared to the heavily chunked KM2s that came off, but driving it really is a pleasure. I'm actually looking forward to taking it up to the northern regions (AZ) this winter and finding some snow to see how well the siping works.

#17 · (Edited)
I wish someone did a side-by-side of these with DuraTracs and maybe the BFG KO2 testing on/off road behavior, ice/snow/rain and such.
Tirerack does some tests of their own but the market for off-road tires is probably not large enough to justify and personal experiences of other users are sometimes not very reliable. I got some BFG KOs a few yeas ago based on other people's feedback and was later shocked at how bad they were in winter.

#18 ·
I had my G2 tires mounted and have some preliminary thoughts.
1. They are quiet;
2. The braking and acceleration feels identical to stock;
3. They look better than stock;
4. They ride a bit better than stock. The ride is a bit "softer." Or perhaps, I should say they are a bit less harsh than stock. Don't read more into this statement. The stock ride with stock tires was nice, but with the G2's, you feel a bit less of the road issues. Lets just say they ride a bit better than stock when going down a rough road and on the expansion joints.
5. They seem to have the edge in the handling dept.

These are initial thoughts driving on dry pavement. I will add to this as I encounter different conditions. I will say that in my opinion, the terra grapplers are better overall than the BFG KO's. I have run at least 8 sets of the KO's on different vehicles, so I do have experience with them. I have LT D load TG's on my 4th gen 4runner, so I do have experience with LT TG's as well. Of course, on my FJ I love my KM2's.

Regards, Steve

Reactions: Discount Tire
#19 ·
I had my G2 tires mounted and have some preliminary thoughts.
1. They are quiet;
2. The braking and acceleration feels identical to stock;
3. They look better than stock;
4. They ride a bit better than stock. The ride is a bit "softer." Or perhaps, I should say they are a bit less harsh than stock. Don't read more into this statement. The stock ride with stock tires was nice, but with the G2's, you feel a bit less of the road issues. Lets just say they ride a bit better than stock when going down a rough road and on the expansion joints.
5. They seem to have the edge in the handling dept.

These are initial thoughts driving on dry pavement. I will add to this as I encounter different conditions. I will say that in my opinion, the terra grapplers are better overall than the BFG KO's. I have run at least 8 sets of the KO's on different vehicles, so I do have experience with them. I have LT D load TG's on my 4th gen 4runner, so I do have experience with LT TG's as well. Of course, on my FJ I love my KM2's.

No experience with the Duratrac's. And I agree that the KO's are subpar in wet, snow, mud or slush conditions. And using the term subpar is being nice, as I honestly believe they border on being unsafe based on my experience.

Regards, Steve

Reactions: FJedi
#24 ·
According to our information, the LT265/70R-17 (LR-E 10 ply rated) Terra Grappler G2 weighs 51lbs and the 265/70R-17 (SL 4 ply rated) Terra Grappler G2 weighs 41lbs. Nitto does not list the tread width but according to their spec sheet the section width is 10.71" and the rolling diameter is 31.65".

Reference: Terra Grappler G2 All-Terrain Light Truck Radial Tires

#21 ·
The nitto site says 10.71 width. Terra Grappler G2 All-Terrain Light Truck Radial Tires

They did not list weight. Prior to buying my tires, I called Nitto direct and they informed me that the weight of the 265-70-17 hard metric was 40 LB's and the LT E was 51 LB's.

Cheers, Steve

#25 ·
I was told that the Nitto TG G2 LT 265/70/17 E was 49lbs... Are you sure on those figures?

#30 ·
We got a good amount of rain today. I was curious to see how the TG/G2's would do in the rain. I was impressed. I drove on the highway with plenty of standing water and flooded streets. I pushed it hard in some corners and hard acceleration. The traction was excellent and the lack of hydroplaning was evident. I did manage to get the rear tires to slip a tiny bit under hard accel from a stop sign, but it took some trying on my part. Having owned numerous sets of BFG KO's, I would say that the TG/G2's have better wet weather traction/characteristics.

The saga continues.

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: Woodsman
#36 ·
Are you lifted? Any rubbing?

#33 ·
Just a few thoughts. After a bit of mild wheeling on dry, rocky, dirt roads, the tires did fine. Nothing out of the ordinary that most AT tires couldn't handle. I did not air down as the trails didn't warrant it. I would say the traction and grip were more than acceptable.

I have also taken them on some rather wet and muddy dirt roads/trails. I must say that in this area, the tires did better than I expected. For a mild AT tire they impressed me. They didn't slip and slide as I expected and cleaned better then I thought they would. My experience is rather limited at this point, but I would rate these as above average in "mild" muddy conditions. I will also state that at this early stage, I believe they perform better than the BFG KO's in the mud. ( KO's--not referring to the KO2.)

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: Discount Tire
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.