Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

What type of terrain do you typically drive on off-road?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Michael_CAR 
#1 ·
Choosing correct off-road tire depends on what type of terrain you typically drive on off-road. Mud, Rocks, Sand, Snow, Gravel? Where do you often drive?

#2 ·
I chose all terrains because I drive about 95% on road for now and they will more than cover the type of terrain I'll be driving on when I go off-road. It will be a mixture of just basic trails. Mine is new and my DD so I'm not out to beat it up just yet. I can't afford to. If you do a search on tires though I'm sure you'll find past posts that talk about what types of tires to choose and why. That's probably why you don't have any responses other than mine; its been covered.

#6 ·
Mostly this. That's why I went with duratracs. They are still quiet on the highway yet provided all the traction I needed on some muddy steep trails. The known good snow traction played a big part of it too. I would get the same tires again and will probably upgrade from 265s to 285s once I get my lift added on.

#3 ·
I chose M/T's. Nitto Trail Grapplers
They are GREAT on pavement, no issues so far after about 7+ K miles.
So far I've been on dusty trails, woodsy trails with ruts and roots and muddy trails with all the above and more.
I love my tires, I'm very glad I got them.

Attachments

#4 ·
All, equally in beautiful Utah! Maybe a little less sand for me, but we do have natural Dunes as well! I find that the Duratracs are the best all around aggressive AT tire without question. They don't make my next size, 305/17 so I may try out the Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar but a little concerned about ice and light snow. I know they'll do great in deep, fresh snow that we get more than out fair share of!

#5 ·
Rocks when not on pavement.

#7 ·
Desert type of terrain, deeply ruted in many places with lots of loose dirt and lots of rocks, we also do expeditions to out of state places like Grand Canyon, I went with a 3 ply sidewall MT tire, Firestone Destination MT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.