Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

BFG Releases the BFG T/A KO2 All Terrain

462K views 763 replies 184 participants last post by  FatJohnson 
#1 ·
The all new BFG T/A KO2 is coming.. (First sizes should hit our inventory Nov. 2014)

We had a chance to test the tire in Baja Mexico for a few days earlier this week. Before we share our experience, we want to hear your initial thoughts. What do you think?

See less See more
1 2
#378 ·
Finally got my 34X10.5R17 KO2s delivered yesterday and had them put on and got an alignment. I've only driven around town with them a bit so far, so I can't give a full review, but the first thing I noticed is that they are extremely quiet. As in you can't even hear them at all unless you roll down your windows and turn off your radio. Second, the larger size definitely seems to have taken away some of my acceleration. It's not a big deal, but it is noticeable. I feel like people with autos will notice it more since they have higher gearing. Lastly the handling isn't that much worse than my 265/70R17 Coopers, despite being 2" taller. It's worse, but not by that much, and the FJ still rides great, so not a big deal.

I hope to figure out two things soon. First, how the larger tires affect fuel economy, and second, how accurate my speedometer is now. I know with the 265s when I'd drive by one of those "Your Speed" signs, it would be ~3-5mph off depending on speed. I also need to measure my FJ on all 4 corners again to see how much height they actually added.

Here are some crappy cell phone camera pictures I snapped yesterday. As you can see, the spare barely fits. There's only a couple mm of clearance between the bumper and the spare, but the spare does not rub.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Toyota fj cruiser Automotive tire

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper

Reactions: Red2Golf
#379 ·
Finally got my 34X10.5R17 KO2s delivered yesterday and had them put on and got an alignment. I've only driven around town with them a bit so far, so I can't give a full review, but the first thing I noticed is that they are extremely quiet. As in you can't even hear them at all unless you roll down your windows and turn off your radio. Second, the larger size definitely seems to have taken away some of my acceleration. It's not a big deal, but it is noticeable. I feel like people with autos will notice it more since they have higher gearing. Lastly the handling isn't that much worse than my 265/70R17 Coopers, despite being 2" taller. It's worse, but not by that much, and the FJ still rides great, so not a big deal.

I hope to figure out two things soon. First, how the larger tires affect fuel economy, and second, how accurate my speedometer is now. I know with the 265s when I'd drive by one of those "Your Speed" signs, it would be ~3-5mph off depending on speed. I also need to measure my FJ on all 4 corners again to see how much height they actually added.

Here are some crappy cell phone camera pictures I snapped yesterday. As you can see, the spare barely fits. There's only a couple mm of clearance between the bumper and the spare, but the spare does not rub.

View attachment 441793
View attachment 441801
View attachment 441809
Turned out great! Looks pretty sweet! :)

#386 ·
Just picked up my brand spankin' new set of BFG Ko2s today! They are the 285/70/17s, 10 miles old when I took the pic. Just need to clean them up a bit later tonight. Wondering if anyone had issues with the stock tire cover with back up camera cut-out fitting on the 285 or if I am having to shop for a replacement?
Much appreciated.

Attachments

#387 ·
Just picked up my brand spankin' new set of BFG Ko2s today! They are the 285/70/17s, 10 miles old when I took the pic. Just need to clean them up a bit later tonight. Wondering if anyone had issues with the stock tire cover with back up camera cut-out fitting on the 285 or if I am having to shop for a replacement? By
Much appreciated.
Stock fj? Any rubbing?

#389 · (Edited)
UPDATE this eve:
I didn't notice any rub until I turned right, into my driveway on a decline, and braked. Then I heard it rub. I took a closer look and noticed that the wheel is slightly rubbing the mud flap behind the front driver-side wheel when turning on a decline while braking. I've attached pictures (I apologize - they are sideways) as you can see it is very minimal (center of pictures) and shouldn't be too much of a problem . It's not rubbing anywhere else that I could see and I don't foresee this being a major issue.

Attachments

#393 ·
If you look through the last 20 pages of posts I think you'll see a few people have them.

#398 ·
post up when on!

#400 ·
Do they still have the white letters?

#402 ·
1st time post/reply. I watched this thread to help decide tire and size. Went with 275/70 17 E KO2 installed today at Discount Tire $880 for 4. Took the BMC/rub issue out with this size. I do have a level kit but didn't want to rub or pony up another $200 for the 285's. Discount set these at 38PSI and I think they feel better than the P rated BFG Tour's I happily left there. This tire is 32.2 Diameter and has given me about 3/4" more clearance. They are much heavier at 55 pounds each, an added 65 pounds in weight. Not sure what that will do. I didn't notice a harsh ride or loss in power. In fact the ride is much better, less floaty feel at 70MPH. I will try to add a few pics but just wanted to say thx for the quality info to help w this decision.

Attachments

#404 ·
I'm curious to see what sizes they offer the KM3 in. If it comes in 34x10.5 I bet they sell like hotcakes!

Reactions: iwashmycar
#409 ·
Wow, those 8 hole OEM wheels look really sharp in black!

#410 ·
Hey guys i've been scouring these forums for a while and can't seem to find if the 275 in 17 inch size will fit a bone stock 07 non trail edition. I drive into nyc as my daily driver and don't want to touch suspension at all. I'm willing to stay stock but I really want to go a little bigger if I can with zero mods. Thanks for the help

#412 ·
What is a great price/deal on 5 of the KO2s in the stock 265 16" size E load range? I'm in the Tampa Florida area and will be in the market soon.

#495 ·
VERY Cool photos. Are either of those photos shot in HDR?

#420 ·
The 34X10.5's tuck nicely on a stock FJ.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Toyota fj cruiser Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.