Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

BFG Releases the BFG T/A KO2 All Terrain

462K views 763 replies 184 participants last post by  FatJohnson 
#1 ·
The all new BFG T/A KO2 is coming.. (First sizes should hit our inventory Nov. 2014)

We had a chance to test the tire in Baja Mexico for a few days earlier this week. Before we share our experience, we want to hear your initial thoughts. What do you think?

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
I've been running the BFG ATs for about 20 years now from the original style to the Moab Edition to the KOs and I really liked them. The last 3 or 4 sets on the FJ didn't impress me though. They were good off on the dirt roads I run, but they weren't that great in the snow/ice we get. The mileage also wasn't very good as I got 30,000 miles out of one set and the most I got was 49,900 and they were bald when I swapped them out. In fact I blew one a week before my new tires came in.

These look about the same to me, although it sounds like they did beef them up and make some changes to them. I'll wait and watch and read reviews when they come out and see if they seem to be better or not. I'll still probably get a set for the Tundra to try out too after I wear out the Rugged Terrains on it. I hope they are better all around and not just better off road and can't wait to see what others say after running them for a few miles and over the winter.

#3 · (Edited)
Looking on the BFG website, it looks like they moved the tread apart slightly. Maybe that will sluff off some extra snow / mud. Either way, I've had BFGs forever and will order up a set of KO2's once they get in stock. I'll be doing a lot of driving between CA and NV over the winter, so they will see plenty of action in the Sierras. I'll update on how they do.

#4 ·
I'm running the KOs now, chewed them up in Moab though. Getting the KM2s Saturday. Due to warranty, I don't want to wait another 1-2 months, as that's more $$ out of pocket and I'd wait for the reviews. I originally wanted the Duratracs, but have to stay with BFG for the warranty replacement.

The KOs SUCK in wet. Ice, snow, or rain on the roads. They didn't do very good in loose rocks either, seemed to slide more than move the rocks out of the way. I would have dreaded going down Black Bear in them. So a little skiddish about a 2nd gen KO.

I'll be definitely looking for the reviews !!

#7 ·
It will be interesting to see the reviews from folks who ran the older T/A KO2s. I ran the current versions on two 4X4 vehicles and thought they sucked. They clog on mud and snow (both of which we have in abundance here in Maine) and then it's like driving on slicks. They aren't inexpensive but the tread wear was the worst I have ever experienced on any truck tire even though I rotated every 5K and monitored tire pressure.

#9 ·
I hope these tires are improved for snow driving. The OEM KOs slip and slide all over the place. I'll most likely end up needing new tires by next spring or summer, so depending on the reviews for these, I may just look into them. Otherwise, it'll probably be a set of duratracs for me.

#10 ·
One of our local group members was part of this testing, and I think his review that he gave us was pretty spot on for what the main questions seem to show here:

"After testing this BFG KO2 in some of the harshest terrain on Earth, this tire has really impressed me. Sand, rocks, gravel, asphalt, and yes, even mud (we had a torrential downpour yesterday), this tire performed very well, above all of my expectations.
I have not been a fan of the KOs. So I was really skeptical going into this. But if you're looking for a tire that you can use for all situations on a daily driver, this is the tire. It is not the best tire at any one thing. There are better mud tires. Better snow tires. Better desert tires. But this tire can do all of these terrains and situations more than adequate for the daily driver.
For those into the look of it, they have kept with the same web traction design, but have brought the traction design down onto the sidewall, similar to the KM2, for toughness and aesthetics. Every drop in I did, the tire rode right down the berm with no slippage. When hitting the mud, the tire would throw the mud out effortlessly, even at low speed, for a continuous grip onto the rock.
I am genuinely impressed with what BFG has done with this tire. They have put a lot of engineering and testing in this tire to make it what it is today.
This is also not the first test run of this tire. They ran this tire on 2 of their BC class cars in the 2013 Baja 1000, and won their class! I rode with Rob MacCachren in a Class 1 on a nice, VERY high speed hot lap, on these tires, and they performed wonderfully. Also did the same hot lap with Gus Vildosola in a Raptor trophy truck. Same results.
This tire releases on November 1st in 12 sizes, with 32 more coming 1st quarter 2015. I highly recommend looking into it! My two cents!"
-R.B.

#11 ·
They have finally opened the side lugs/treads to allow water, mud and snow draining, the KO was a dangerous tire to drive in snow deeper than an 1" or 2" maybe this new design will change that. You would have to think BF would have done a lot of work getting this right as they have lost a lot of the market to GY's DuraTrak and other brands. looking forward to the real use reviews, I'll be looking for new tires about this time next year. The video is encouraging.

#12 ·
Well, it would be nice to try if they were available now :(

Because this is basically what my current KOs are doing:

Attachments

#14 ·
#15 ·
Here are the sizes coming out first. Pricing should be available early November.

LT275/55R20 115/112s All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRD RWL
LT27565R18 123/12OR TL All Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT27560R20 110/116S TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRD RW
LT265/70R18 124/121R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT285/75R16 126/123R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT285/65R20 127/124S TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT265/65R18 122/119R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT285/65R18 125/122R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT245/75R16 120/116S TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT315/75T16 127/124R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT265/75R16 123/120R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
LT235/85R16 120/116S TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW
35x12.50R18LT 123R TL All-Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RWL
LT225/75R16 115/112S TL All Terrain T/A KO2 LRE RW

#23 ·
PS - Moose, I dig the white letters out! Probably mount my new treads the same way, since Ive always put blackwalls out!

I had the silver rings on them powder coated :)

I picked the white letters out, because I think it looks better with this particular truck :) I like it because it breaks up the black. I've had other trucks where I liked the solid black better :rofl: All depends on the vehicle!

#20 ·
Well since they won't make a 355/60/20 I will have to go with a BFG KM2... This is such a superior tire in every condition.

I never cared for the BFG A/T as others have mentioned poor performance in water,snow and mud and wear down super fast in gravel offroad. Maybe this one is better?

#21 ·
Thanks for the heads up DTD!
But they put 18" and 20" tires out BEFORE 17? What is BFG thinking? I guarantee there are more off road vehicles running 17" wheels than 18 or 20. Thats a fools errand. Ive always liked the aesthetics of the BFG a/t. But they are remaking a legendary tire, and they don't even change the 30 year old tread pattern, just change the side bites? Maybe its a "not broken dont fix it" situation. Looking forward to the reviews none the less...
Thanks for the pictures and info DTD :bigthumb:

#25 ·
LT265/75R16/E 123 R, 53.3lb
LT285/75R16/E 126 R, 59.1lb

FAIL!

Nice looking tire, but will not buy. No D or C option in 16". I will not put an E rated tire on my FJ! I will be replacing my stock LT265/75R16/D rated KO's soon, so was hopeful when I saw a new design out.

The LT265/75R16/C DuraTracs are looking like my only option, and they only weight 45lb.

#28 ·
I used to think E rated tires were the devil because posts like this :)
started out with P rated tires, never ever again will I run such a sissy rated tire on any offroad rig, then moved out to D, then did E rated. I actually enjoy the E rated tires deflated at 15psi, more balance over rough terrain, and I don't feel the tires being harsh at all, I run them at 37psi for DD, used to run my D rated at 32psi, under same conditions, same size 2785/75/16.
I use the chalk test method to determine needed air pressure, and I go by what the chalk does in the tire, even at 37psi, my 3 ply sidewall with fairly aggressive lugs doesn't feel harsh one bit driving onroad. They don't wrinkle like a C rated for example when going at 15psi, but the extra traction from the MT lugs give the tire all the traction they need to move out of any situation, I've heard people go as low as 10-12 with E rated tires when needed. I haven't so far knocking on wood, and I don't regret the move one bit.

Reactions: LHB and FJ Moose
#26 ·
Woo Hoo!! They will have my size available. To bad I still have 30-40,000 miles left on these tires before I'll need new ones........damn.

#30 ·
I'm watching this thread......I still have the original BFG A/Ts on my 08. I realize I should consider replacing the tires due to age, but they have no cracks and are wearing nicely, so I have time and will consider these as a replacement. I am curious to hear if there are any balance/wobble problems....the typical FJ problem which mine has also. I also run BFG A/Ts on my Jeep TJ with zero problems.

#31 ·
I'm in the same boat as you with my 08 TT. Original 265 D rated BFG KO's with ~40K miles. Would like to get new tires, but no one makes D rated AT tires anymore in 265. I could up to 285 D since I have a 2" lift, but can't find that either in 16" rim. I've considered switching to 17" rims and getting the 285 D rated Duratracs, but I really like my TRD black rims.

#32 ·
UPDATE:

BFG will release their new All-Terrain T/A KO2 in two phases. Phase one(1) is scheduled for November 2014 and phase two(2) is scheduled for March and April 2015.

In other news, BFG dropped a new All-Terrain T/A KO2 tire from 10,000 feet and drove away on it. Guess the spot on Playground Earth it hit and you could win a set for yourself.

#39 ·
#35 ·
Awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.