Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Help me decide on which new tires.

9K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  FJ Warrior 
#1 ·
Ok so I just got my 07' TRD FJ and I'm looking to do a lift and tires as my first real mods. I'm going with a 3" Toytec spacer lift and either 285 or 295's to fit the stock 16" rims.

Help me decide on which size. My use age will primarily be on road. It will see some use at the hunting club which has some decent size mud holes and maybe an occasional light trail. No rock crawling or anything to nasty.

I'm wanting a M/T or an aggressive A/T for looks. I've narrowed my choices down to the KM2's, Trail Grapplers, Cooper ST Maxx's, and maybe the Duratrac's.

I'm trying to get my cake and eat too. I'd like a tire that isn't going to kill my already poor gas mileage and don't want them to be too loud. I've never had a set of mud tires before so I don't know what to compare them to. My truck currently has the stock KO's on it and my old Tundra had Terra Grapplers on it. How would any of my choices compare to these two tires in the noise category?

I've read a bunch of reviews here and on other sites as well. So of the four tires I listed which would you choose and why? And what size 285 or 295?

See less See more
#5 ·
Agree on the DuraTracs...

#6 ·
Does Discount tire still give a member discount?

I know PepBoyz always runs the buy 3 get 1 free.

Having sail all that, I still always have purchased my tires at discount tire. Even when they scratched a very expensive automobile, I just forgave because they fessed up.

I swear I have bought 20 sets of tires from them over the last 10 years.

#10 ·
Sux they scratched your car. They are an awesome company and I'm sure they would have paid to have it painted if you would have just asked.

I too love the Duratrac tread pattern but because of the 2 ply side walls I will take the three ply BFG AT over them every day.:rocker:

#8 ·
Just got the Duratracs a couple weeks ago. Very happy with them!

#9 ·
Duratracs have no downside. Extremely grippy in rain, ice, and snow. Better than any other tire I have ever owned, on any vehicle.

Reactions: ZoSoIV
#17 · (Edited)
I have 33x12.50x17 in the Cooper STT and love them. I am getting ready however to go to the Fierce Attitude MT *made by Goodyear* and they are a very economical tire and not to mention allot lighter than the Nitto's or the KM2, I think even the Coopers and have heard nothing but great things about them.

#18 ·
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I hadn't thought of the Firestones or the Fierce Attitudes yet. I like the looks of the Fierce and if they are lighter and more fuel efficient then the other M/T's that's even better.

Is there a site that lists each tires weight? I've looked on the manufactures website for Nitto and GY and couldn't find anything. Discount tire doesn't list weight either.

I'm going to forget the KM2's, Nittos, and Coopers and refine my list down to the Fierce Attitudes and the Duratrac's. Help me decide between these two tires.

#37 ·
How are you liking the Cooper ST Maxx's?? Did you run any spacers as well??
Any feedback you can provide, maybe more pics, whatever would be very useful for me!!! Thanks!! I am days away from buying some and could use some real-word opinions... :cheers:

#20 ·
Here is the site that had the weight of the Cooper's, KM2s, and the Fierce. I like the Fierce because they are an MT more aggressive than the Duratrac and they handle the snow as good if not better than the Duratrac. Click on the individual tire link to see the specs for each one. I would strongly suggest ordering the tires though from DiscountTireDirect.com because they are still better pricing and plus free shipping compared to around 100 dollars for shipping from TreadDepot.

Here is a whole thread on the Fierce Attitudes
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/162535-fierce-attitude-mt.html

Mud Tires for Sale - Buy Off-Road and Mud Tires | Tread Depot

#21 ·
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

We don't have any discounttiredirect stores in my area so I was intending to order them online. That was until I realized my local Toyota store was running their buy three get one free sale in October. I don't think I'll be able to get a set any cheaper anywhere else. Plus I can have them throw the lift on while it's there.

#24 ·
yeah you won't find them at any of the dealerships. The two best local places to go and have the lift done would be Southern Off-road in Pelham or RPM Extreme in Fultondale... both are amazing folks....I wouldn't trust the stealership to install a lift..just my 2 cents worth.

#25 ·
Yeah, the dealerships definitely don't stock any M/T's but they can get them from the local distributors.

I would normally install the lift myself. It'll be much easier to have it done when I get the tires installed. I'm a chemical supplier for a lot of the dealerships around central AL so I have a pretty close relationship with most of those guys. I trust their work and I won't have to pay the retail labor rate so it's worth it. If I had to pay full price, I'd do it myself for sure.

#31 ·
Fierce Attitude 285/75/16. I think they were $1200 installed (5) tires at Mavis IIRC. My only complaint is that they are super quiet.
Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
#33 ·
wow...my 35s arrived today...that is one hell of a tire.... scheduled to get them mounted Monday and do a BMC... pictures soon to follow

#36 · (Edited)
Well I ended up getting the Attitudes in 285/75/16. Thanks to all the guys that gave me suggestions and especially to Bhamitgeek who suggested the Attitudes. Until then I had completely overlooked them. My usage intentions were this. I was mainly looking for a M/T with an aggressive look also provide good road manners. I also wanted a lighter M/T so I wouldn't kill my gas mileage and power.

TLDR crew... Great tires! Awesome road manners and really aggressive looks.

I also want to give a big shot out to one of my customers in Tuscaloosa. Tuscaloosa Tire and Service centers (Goodyear). The owner Ronnie Jr. gave me a GREAT price on the tires. One of my other customers, David at Limbaugh Toyota hooked me up with the lift and tire install. He also fixed my leaking front pass axle seal while he was at it. David went the extra mile to get the lift installed even after running into some problems.

So here's my basic review so far after about fifty miles of road driving. I got them mounted and balance last night and got my Toytec spacer lift installed at the same time. The tires balanced out great and the truck came into alignment really nicely after the lift.

The ride is slightly stiffer than it was with the stock BFG T/A's with the TRD off-road suspension. Mainly on sharp/harsh bumps. I did notice a little body away on the interstate ar speeds of 75+ mph, but not bad at all. At city driving speeds it really does feel like it did stock.

The noise factor isn't even really worth mentioning. There really isn't any! That being said, I do have the TRD exhaust, but I can't hear the tires over the exhaust at all. The Attitudes aren't any louder than the T/A's.

Now for the looks. They are freaking aggressive looking. The outer lugs are very similar looking to the Duratrac's. The center section is similar to the MT MTZ's and the sidewalls complete the aggressive look. The guy that helped me install them was really impressed with the look, as was I.

I can't speak about the off-road capability since I haven't been off-road yet. I don't plan to do any serious off-roading, at least not right off. I'll mostly be using the truck to shuttle the kids and get around the hunting camp with some occasional trail use. I'll start saving for a real suspension upgrade and then probably try to put the tires to a real off-road test.

There's no rubbing with road driving. I'm running about 1.5 degrees positive caster with no BMC and still have the mudflaps installed. I may take them off just to show off more tire :)

Summary, initial thoughts are these tires are awesome. They are my first set of M/T's and so far I'm very happy with them. Can't wait to get them off-road and see how they do.

I'll take pics as soon as I can get the truck cleaned up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.