Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Help with new shoes for Florida - mainly on road

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  FJTTSE 
#1 ·
Going mad trying to settle on new shoes for my 2008 TT. Mostly stock, I will have ToyTec springs installed along with the tires to level the front. These will be going on the stock TRD 16" rims.

Mostly HW driving, towing jet ski, sand and light trail off road. I don't do real mans off roading :) I would prefer not to lose too much MPG and have tires that will survive the Florida downpours when they happen!

Duratracs seem to be highly rated, I looked at reviews for the Hankook ATMs but was put off by decreased handling in the wet when they wear, General Grabber AT2s appear to be well respected and on and on...

Interested to hear thoughts and recommendations. Oh and 285/75/16 on the stock TRD rims?

Many thanks

#3 ·
These were not mentioned but I am running the Falken Wildpeak A/T in stock size. They have roughly 20,000 miles on them and show very little wear. They have been excellent through out this rain season here in FL. I also do light trails and have never been worried about getting stuck in the FL mud or sand. There is no difference in MPG.

#4 ·
I concur with the Wildpeaks. I am running the Falken Rocky Mountain (Discount's version of the Wildpeak) 285/75 R16 D's on my 11TT. Smoother ride than the BFG T/A's my truck came with.

They are pretty amazing on wet pavement. I drove home last week in the heaviest downpour I have seen in years. I was surprised at how easily the Falken's blasted through the standing water and maintained grip.
It's a tough tire that is wearing very well.

The only drawback is the lack of grip in the mud. I almost got stuck in a deep 8 foot ditch at the airfield. The Falkens required some throttle and sawing at the wheel, but they got me out. (I attached an "after pic" of my rig from that infamous mud slinging in front of the airshow performer's tent day.)

We also have a 2008 TT in the family. I plan to put the Falkens on it in a few months.

Discount was incredibly helpful and extremely nice when they put the Rocky Mtn's on my truck. We will definitely buy from them again!

Hope that helps!

Attachments

#8 ·
Happy to help.

Wish you all the best with the new FJ Shoes.

Hope they work great for you. :clap:

Reactions: Db2boy
#9 ·
Just replaced my stock BFG 265/75R16 D KO's with Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75R16 D on my 2008 TT with the black TRD rims. I think they look great. :bigthumb:
The Wildpeak AT appear to be similar so I'd thought I mention that I have an ever so slight rub at 3/4 turn with compression. I have an ICON Stage 1 with LR UCA's. I don't think it will be anything to worry about though for the mall crawling I do. :smile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.