Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Tire Recommendation?

20K views 107 replies 36 participants last post by  FJ Cruiser Matt 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 model and I am in the process of trying to decide on my first tire upgrade from stock. I currently have the toytec eibach front leveling springs up front with the stock 265/70/17. Is anyone else running this setup? Also, do you think I can fit 285/70/17 without a BMC or lift?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a stock FJ with only a leveling kit, and it has 285/75/16s on it now, BFG A/Ts. I haven't had any rubbing issues, but I don't offroad a whole lot.

I am in the market for some new tires as well, and have heard the Goodyear DuraTracs receive some really good reviews from the guys on here.

I am also going to check into the Cooper AT2s and Nitto Trail Grapplers.

#19 ·
#3 ·
I don't have any experience with this matter personally but have read numerous posts from others who are running 285's with little to no rubbing depending, of course, on the tire manufacturer and alignment.

I myself am debating whether I wanna go with a leveling coil or go with a small OME 2" lift. With the first option I'm thinking of running a 275/70/17 and with the second option probably a 285 with the BMC to ensure I wont have any problems.

I'm interested to see what you go with as we have identical FJ's...

#4 ·
285/70/17s may fit with no rubbing, depending upon your wheels, alignment, and brand of tire.

275/70/17s will definitely fit with no rub.

Goodyear DuraTracs are definitely a really good all-around tire.

#9 · (Edited)
The thread titled Eibach/Toytec springs in front?? has a number of pics (on Page 9) with Duratracs in 265/70/17 if you wanted to see what it looks like.

I'm pretty much computer illiterate and cant figure out how to move the pics here for ya....sorry!

#12 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if the 285/70/17 C rated duratracs are lighter than the 275/70/17 E rated KO2s?

Never knew buying tires would be such a difficult decision. Sure wish that body mount didn't stick out. That would change a lot of things in this regard.

#20 ·
wait till next month and get the 34x10.5x17 KO2s.

I feel like they are going to be the perfect tire size, but since they are not out just yet it is TBD!

#23 ·
I'm thinking the DuraTracs might be overkill for me. I like the way they look, and have heard good things...but it sounds like they aren't exceptional in the mud, and are more-so meant for snowy and slushy conditions. I only drive in the snow 2-3 times per year...and at the max 5. I am on the highway quite a bit, though. I just want a tire I can get 40,000+ miles out of and be able to do a little bit of mudding and offroading on some minor rocks when possible.

#35 ·
I'm running BFGoodrich A/T 285 70r17 on a 3" leveling kit and absolutely love them. They're a beefier tire and yet have no additional road noise. Which is wonderful considering my girlfriend and I now go to colleges that are 3 hours apart. Also, the A/Ts have phenomenal snow/ice performance if that's anything you need.

#43 ·
Have you looked at Nitto G2's?
Or waiting for TA KO2 in 285 that should come out next month (can't remember if they'll be LR C or E).

#46 ·
You really should read the excellent tire review/test on the Expedition Portal website (expedition portal.com), see the "Where the Rubber Meets the Road" article. Best analysis I've come across yet. You really have to read this before you buy because it lays out a clear explanation of some of the more technical (and important) characteristics of some of the most popular AT tires out there.

I had to remove my Duratracs and get a set of dedicated snowtires (Michelin X ICE - phenominal). Like you, I spent a huge amount of time researching AT tires and noticed the rave reviews on this forum. So I got 'em...Not happy!!

My Duratracs were LOUD at higher speeds on pavement. They scared the hell out of me on ice and hard packed snow on roads. I hydroplaned on thin mud. Just wasn't enough siping. Since I live high in the mountains of Vermont (months of ice) and have to travel miles of class 4 roads to civilization, I needed to consider safety first. However, they were awesome in deep snow and I had a blast with that. And they looked bada$$, certainly seemed bigger than 265.

I had 265/70/17, C load, but then installed a 3" lift (Toytec Boss) so I'm shopping for a set of 285/75/16 and 16" wheels. I'm double-checking, but I think I'll be ok with rubbing. Don't want to chop. Aside from the offroad advantages of 16", the prices of tires and wheels are considerably better.
So I'm in agreement about the Cooper AT3 based on reviews. 2nd place is Falken. I get offroad less than I want to (who doesn't?), and plan to take some cross-country trips, so I need a well-mannered AT tire.

Hope this helps - good luck!

#49 ·
IMOA slight differences in weight don't generate big changes in gas mileage. Also I wouldn't select a tire that's somewhat lighter over one that has all (or most) of the characteristics you're looking for. It is hard to buy tires!! But with more experience now I think the best method is to establish a ranked set of priorities...know what you're willing to sacrifice. There is no perfect tire.

#51 ·
What size / load rating are those? If LT, were your Nittos also LT? How do they compare? LT means 10 ply, a stout tire with hard feel. 6 ply would give smoother, softer ride but is P rated. Not sure how well they'd deal with offroad.

Thanks!

#52 ·
Both sets were p rated. Never had a problem offroad. I do make sure I have a full size spare. I spend most of my time on road and wanted the better milage, acceleration, and ride.
The Nittos were a tad quieter, but the coopers are better at everything else I have tested so far.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#54 ·
Thanks for the pics! I went out to the local tire shop after I saw them. Even though it seemed like had a relatively tame profile in the store, I must say they look pretty bada$$ on your truck! BTW, like your lights too - clean profile, not Mickey Mouse ears....what brand?

I'd guess you're running 285/70/17 since theyre P rated. The tire guys looked up lots of sizes and this was the only way I could avoid a LT designation. The 285/75/16 and 285/70/16, (and anything larger)my preferred sizes, were LT. They also said going to 16" would greatly limit selection for both tires and wheels as the industry trend now is toward larger sizes. I hope the shop was wrong. I'll be checking around, but wanted your sage advice since you know a lot about tires.

Glad to hear P rating has been ok offroad for you, but I have to ask how difficult your typical trails are, and how hard you wheel. Even though I'm on maintained class 4 and paved roads a majority of the time, I'm also planning to do Summit and other organized runs that offer challenging terrain - I don't want to be held back by tires then or in the future. But because all of these require long highway drives to get there, I don't want 'em too loud or hard (the Dura's were right at the edge of intolerable).

Regarding sidewall construction, I've decided to bump it down a bit on my priority list. Hope this isn't a mistake. Just wasn't impressed with reviews on Goodyear kevlars or BFG KO2's for the variety needs/conditions I have. I should probably get the insurance.

Any experience with my #2 pick, Falken Wild Peak?

Thanks, everyone!

#56 ·
Hey no problem, I like sharing any little bit of knowledge I have with others.:)

I'll try to answer your questions in order.
When I saw them in the shop, I was worried that they would look wimpy. However, once they were on they look way tougher than the terra grapplers I had, also, I love the white letters out. I think it makes them look even bolder/tougher.

I am running Rigid D2s on the top of the bumper, and come Friday there will be two sets of dually's on the lower grill. Replacing the cheap Westin fogs with Rigids new fogs. Some people say they look to small, but I like the look.

I am running 285/70r17p. They look bigger than terra grapplers in the same size, but I believe a tiny bit smaller than Duratracs.
The place where I get all the parts for the FJ is a Toyota dealership that specializes in modifications. They sell a number of 16 inch wheels and tires to match. I am not sure about that, all I know is my friend who has an xterra and an excursion has 16 inch wheels on both.

As in the amount I offroad, it isn't a ton, but last summer I did some pretty tough runs. I did a quad trail that not even the built jeeps would do. Sometimes I was in mud up to the skid plates. The other way down had a bunch of rocky but muddy climbs, and some dry pack ones. The terra grapplers are a true AT tire so I was shocked by how well they did. Only one lug chunked. I keep a full size spare with me, so I am not horribly scared about running p tires. They are a ton tougher than stock, and people put those stock tires through hell sometimes and do okay.

The coopers have bigger lugs than the terra grapplers, and bigger channels, and so far they clear out snow super well, so I am guessing from that, and reviews I've read that they will do pretty great in the mud for an AT.
They also ride pretty quite, a tad louder than the terra grapplers, but I actually like the hum of the coopers more.

I would aso suggest looking at the Cooper ST maxx if you want a more just offroad tire. Or the General Grabber AT2s. My friend had them on his xterra and says they are better than the duratrcs he has now in almost every way.

Or you could get two spare AT3s because if how much cheaper they are.:). At least they are here...

Cheers,
Matt

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.