Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

16 inch rims

34K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  08fjcruiserjeff 
#1 ·
HI all.
First of all, I am looking to not do any major alterations to my FJ. I was doing some research on tires and realized 16 inch rimed sires are cheaper than 17's. Plus, the more rubber, the smoother he ride. So, I am looking for some advise.
I am in the military, so money IS an object. I was looking on craigslist and ebay and saw a few that may be contenders and was hoping some could assist in my decision. One choice is a "TRD Style" rim that looks great, but not sure if going away from toyota product is the wisest decision (16" TRD Style Matte Black Rims Wheels for Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Edition | eBay). Another option are either a 4-runner, tacoma or tundra 16" rims. Being that I want to keep this economical, I realize that sometimes you get what you pay for, so I am wondering if goinw with the tacoma or tundra is the best option? I am looking for a "plug and play" without major modifications so I can get some 285 75 r16 tires without voiding a warranty or structural modifications that could weaken the FJ. I have found tacoma and tundra steel and alloys. Which would be the best all around most bang for the buck options?

#8 · (Edited)
When buying wheels make certain the offset is exactly what you want. Buying used or aftermarket that mistake is easy to make. You may not want them to rub or stick out farther than necessary.

Personally I like the look of the 16" wheel and tire combo but you may prefer a larger wheel. I believe there is a greater selection of "C" rated tires in 17 inch now.

The 285/75/16 looks grossly larger than the 285/70/17 even though the tires are almost the exact same diameter.

Obviously the 16's perform better off road when aired down than the tires on larger diameter wheels do. The 17's are barely better/safer on the blacktop.

And cost, you are right. My Jeep came with 17" wheels. I put 15's on it and saved a ton of money on rubber. They barely cleared the calipers and I'm sure the brakes didn't ventilate as well, but that wasn't a huge concern since it wasn't my DD.

Wheels and tires can turn out to be the easiest and most rewarding modification you will ever do. I ran 4 different sets on my jeep in 6 years, ya, 20 different wheels and tires. (Mom kept saying, "AGAIN? #$#%$%%!%!! @#$@$@@#$#%@##)

Good luck!

#9 ·
I'd stay away from the "TRD style" and get the actual TRDs. The cost differential is minimal to none (some copies are actually more expensive than the originals), the offset is correct, you know they will clear the calipers, and they are hub-centric.

Take a look at the threads below:

Offset

Fitment

16s that fit.

#12 ·
I switched from 17" wheels to 16" and am very happy with my decision. I have a larger set of options for tires and they cost less as well. The 16" also performs better when aired down so I support going the path of 16's...

Good luck.

#13 ·
Thanks DWM. That is what I was thinking too.

jeffreyr.walter, I like that rim option. How do they hold up? After reading the description on their webpage about not balancing well, and being super heavy, how do you like them off-road? How much do you really notice the extra weight?

#15 ·
I love them. They hold up really well and the weight difference between the alloys (offroad package) is not much. The real weight difference comes from the larger tire size, 265/75r16 vs 305/70r16.

I also like them better than alloy because you can hammer them back into place if you bend one while offroading.

The balancing is not great and I would recommend you have them road force balanced. They wont turn out perfect but there is a trade off when you go with an larger tire and steel wheel setup. offroad capability style vs ride quality.

All in all, I think they are best bang for your buck.

#14 ·
Steelies are inherently super heavy. I have the 16" Offroad Package wheels that were offered from 07-10. They are my favorite OEM alloy, but if I were to buy tires again tomorrow id go 17s. 16s are a slowly dying breed. It is easier to balance more wheel than tire anyway IMO.

Some of the best 16s are what SCS makes. They are made FOR Toyotas, super light, and look nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.