BFG All Terrain K02 Tire Pressure Please Help - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
BFG All Terrain K02 Tire Pressure Please Help

I just got a new set of BFG K02s for my 2012 stock FJ. The tires are stock size but went with LT load range E: LT265/70R17. I called BFG and they recommended 55 PSI for highway driving. The shop sent me home with 45 PSI in each and felt like the rear of the unloaded FJ was skipping around turns. I just want to be sure I am getting full contact patch with the road, best handling, grip and even wear. In the future, I will be adding more weight--winch, bumpers, batteries, etc. But now my vehicle is at stock weight and worried that I am so far above the stock recommended 32 PSI in each. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to shack
Re: BFG All Terrain K02 Tire Pressure Please Help

I run 40 psi in mine and think its perfect. I have 305 70 16's and a loaded rig, so I think you can air down a bit and be fine.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Garage

I run 40 PSI in my MTR,s no issues. If you are concerned with contact patch go old school & make a chalk line on your tread and try different pressures until you get it correct. 55 is the max for a loaded E range tire & we are no where close to that kind of weight.
Winterpeg likes this.

[SIGPIC]07 Sun fusion MT 887X OME Bilstein 5100 TRD short throw shifter Overhead console MOD TRD intake, ARB front & red eye rear bumpers Flow master CAT back EXH 9500 Engo Winch Demello Hybrid sliders Snorkel lefty T case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
adam12_4 previously said: View Post
I run 40 PSI in my MTR,s no issues. If you are concerned with contact patch go old school & make a chalk line on your tread and try different pressures until you get it correct. 55 is the max for a loaded E range tire & we are no where close to that kind of weight.
Actually 80 psi is the max psi for most load range e or 10 ply tires including the BFG. Obviously that's way too much. I have a question however?

What made you put the e on over the load range c? I am going to order the same tire and the same size however in a load rage c. The load range c has more weight carrying capacity than the fj can handle, tread is exactly the same pattern and depth at 15/32 and the load range c is about 10 pounds a tire lighter. My thoughts are they are plenty tough enough and won't hurt the fuel mileage as bad. I am very curious your thoughts on this. Also if you could post a pic of your rig that would be great.

I would think 40 psi would be just fine for your set up. When I'm not pulling my gooseneck trailer with my one ton diesel I lower the tire pressure to 60 all the way around. I have 10 ply or load range e tires on it and the truck weighs 8,853 pounds with no passengers or payload. Food for thought.......good luck, keep us posted.
Les_Paul likes this.

2014 FJ Quicksand

Last edited by Wrench Boy; 04-08-2016 at 04:10 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:19 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Garage

G'day,
You can always play with tyre pressures...try 40psi, if its too hard, drop 2 psi at a time till you get a good feel. also the front n rears can be at different psi ...
cheers
Baz
WebSnyper likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:01 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Wrench Boy previously said: View Post
Actually 80 psi is the max psi for most load range e or 10 ply tires including the BFG. Obviously that's way too much. I have a question however?

What made you put the e on over the load range c? I am going to order the same tire and the same size however in a load rage c. The load range c has more weight carrying capacity than the fj can handle, tread is exactly the same pattern and depth at 15/32 and the load range c is about 10 pounds a tire lighter. My thoughts are they are plenty tough enough and won't hurt the fuel mileage as bad. I am very curious your thoughts on this. Also if you could post a pic of your rig that would be great.

I would think 40 psi would be just fine for your set up. When I'm not pulling my gooseneck trailer with my one ton diesel I lower the tire pressure to 60 all the way around. I have 10 ply or load range e tires on it and the truck weighs 8,853 pounds with no passengers or payload. Food for thought.......good luck, keep us posted.
80PSI in an FJ you would pee blood it would be so rough. I weigh in around 5200 empty now and at over GVWR loaded up for a trip. Not sure if the MTR even come in load range C but where I go in AR on one trip i cut the sidewalls on 2 brand new tires and used about 25 plugs to get out to the pavement. Never cut another side wall since I bought the MTR with Kevlar. I wanted the thickest sidewall i could get . Here are a few random pictures from many different trips to the Ozarks in AR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0040.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	695242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	695250   Click image for larger version

Name:	406156_10150599315067588_713647587_10799512_368249631_n.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	695258  
Attached Images

Huerta32 likes this.

[SIGPIC]07 Sun fusion MT 887X OME Bilstein 5100 TRD short throw shifter Overhead console MOD TRD intake, ARB front & red eye rear bumpers Flow master CAT back EXH 9500 Engo Winch Demello Hybrid sliders Snorkel lefty T case
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)

Remember, you will add 3 to 4 LBS when at road temp.

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
adam12_4 previously said: View Post
80PSI in an FJ you would pee blood it would be so rough. I weigh in around 5200 empty now and at over GVWR loaded up for a trip. Not sure if the MTR even come in load range C but where I go in AR on one trip i cut the sidewalls on 2 brand new tires and used about 25 plugs to get out to the pavement. Never cut another side wall since I bought the MTR with Kevlar. I wanted the thickest sidewall i could get . Here are a few random pictures from many different trips to the Ozarks in AR
Nice Pics!!! I get 80 PSI is going to be like ridding on solid hard rubber tires, however i was just stating that 55 psi isn't max for a load rand E tire, 80 psi actually is. That's all. For me we don't have a ton of rocks in our area so I'm thinking Load range C rated tires will be good for woods running. Cheers
Winterpeg and adam12_4 like this.

2014 FJ Quicksand
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)

I run 32psi cold on the same size, same load rating.
Winterpeg, FatJohnson and Mt6972 like this.

What size tires will fit on my FJ?

2016 North America Off Road Events

The owner's manual for your FJ is right here. <--- This is a link. Many answers to your questions are contained within.

See the relationship between highway speed and MPG here.

TLCA 5301
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Winter Admin

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Garage

The single biggest contributing factor to people having "brake problems" is over-inflated tires.

Everyone is scared to drop their tire pressures on these stiff-ass tires. Drop the pressure... keep an eye on them for uneven wear and adjust accordingly.

Voight Kampff and FatJohnson like this.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.