Dedicated Snow Tires vs AT - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Dedicated Snow Tires vs AT

So I'll ask now while winter driving is still fresh in everyone's mind. How many of you run dedicated snow tires and who runs all terrains year round? Please post up your experiences including tire brands and sizes.

Here's my deal.....
I just got the FJ, it's a 6MT, AWD and it has Yokohama Geolander AT-S tires that are about 50%. I have about a 2" lift(I haven't torn into that yet) and the tires are 285/70/17. Snow tires are hard to find in a 285s but limited options exist. 265s can save some coin but might just look silly for a third of the year.

I would wait and just try it out but there are some pretty good closeout prices on snow tires right now. And if the AT-S sucks in the snow I will be paying premium for them next winter while I sit with all the other schmucks at the tire shop for 12 hours the first snow storm of the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Dedicated Snow Tires vs AT

I run a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels. My summer set are 285/75/16 KO2's on FN wheels. My winter set are studded 265/70/17 Nokian Hakkapelitta 8's on Toyota steelies. I have a 3" Toytec lift. I find for the mountain roads that combination gives me highest comfort level. In the area of BC I'm in, it's a regulation that you have to run winter rated tires from October 1 to March 31st. The KO2's are snowflake rated, so they qualify as well, but I just prefer the dedicated winter rubber.
Navigator likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:58 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Garage

My family has 2 GMC trucks with KO2's, they have no problems with Nebraska winters. If you get more Canada-like weather, you might want winter tires, but for your average US winter, a snowflake rated AT will most likely be fine. If you're feeling adventurous, get an MT tire and spin and spin and spin...
Navigator likes this.

NESSIE, 2011 NSSE edition

-DO rally bumper (deer dent special)
-IronMan FCP coilovers
-OME cheap LT rear
-275/70r17 MTR/kevlar tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:49 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Garage

AT's... Jack of all trades, Master of none... Anything dedicated to one job will do it better (but only that one job)than something trying to cover a multitude.

Agree with RadiumFJ, Nokian are superb winter tires. But if you can only afford to run a single set of tires then winters might not be the best option for all round use... That said the extra outlay is offset by 'sharing' the wear so overall the cost evens out so it might be more about space to store the second set (my issue).
Winterpeg and asnobody like this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...eddystone.html

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:28 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)

x2 dedicated snow tires, because being prepared is awesome

The best thing about having dedicated snow tires is that whenever a big storm does come, it is so much fun to go out and drive around in it and enjoying, and sometimes being able to help out others who only have regular tires on their vehicles.

A big storm comes and it changes everything, schools close, work closes, roads get closed, emergencies get called for entire communities. With really good snow tires, it can be "business as usual" for you, so long as the snow doesn't go above your bumpers.
Navigator likes this.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Garage

I have dedicated snowtires (Michelin X Ice 265/70/16) on stock wheels but I never needed them as my Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXXs were so incredible in winter. Recently regeared and went to 35s (Cooper Discoverer STT PROs, M/T) for better rockcrawling capability so removed my S/T MAXXs way early, reserving them as my "snowtires" - that's how good they were on Vermont's icy roads
Navigator likes this.

Member of the Month November 2016
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Think it depends on the design of the MT.

These hankook dynopro MT's seem to get pretty good reviews for their performance in snow,

Reviews - Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 Reviews Reviews by Offroaders.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Review Engine Powered by ReviewPost

someone even mentioned them being used on a plow truck in alaska without studs. They are also pretty reasonably priced, and come in a variety of sizes.

I have the dyno pro HP on a hyundai 4x4, and I can not recall those tires spinning on anything but really loose gravel.

Meanwhile my stock AT on my FJ packed up with mud in my driveway that was only a millimeter deep and lost traction yesterday. They spin on wet grass in my yard, to the point I have to put it in to 4hi to climb even a slight slope (like 5 degrees).

Those same stock AT, I have had fish tail all over the mountain switch backs when I go to the ski resorts, and were only tolerable because of things like the traction control systems taking over. Then also I am originally from northern MN and SD, and I probably still to this day have trouble driving on a road without ice. I still want to over compensate on a warm summer day.

Chains? I don't think I ever seen anyone put on chains until I left MN. Who the hell wants to get out in -30 weather to put on frigen chains? Just learn to skate on your bald summer tires. Much more fun. As a teenager, winter tires coast more than my car was worth. I had better things to spend my money on.

I don't drive in much snow anymore, except for a couple times of year to ski; but, I will hopefully this year be able to get a set of the Hankooks MT on my FJ and test them out in the mountains.
Navigator likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:31 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Garage

I just bought a set of Falken Wild Peak AT3 285/75/16 right before the snow season started. I run them all year round. They worked very well in the snow this year and they run quiet the rest of the year. I`m really happy with them.
Navigator likes this.

Steve 07 FJ with almost enough mods
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
cenc previously said: View Post
Think it depends on the design of the MT.

These hankook dynopro MT's seem to get pretty good reviews for their performance in snow,

Reviews - Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 Reviews Reviews by Offroaders.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Review Engine Powered by ReviewPost

someone even mentioned them being used on a plow truck in alaska without studs. They are also pretty reasonably priced, and come in a variety of sizes.

I have the dyno pro HP on a hyundai 4x4, and I can not recall those tires spinning on anything but really loose gravel.

Meanwhile my stock AT on my FJ packed up with mud in my driveway that was only a millimeter deep and lost traction yesterday. They spin on wet grass in my yard, to the point I have to put it in to 4hi to climb even a slight slope (like 5 degrees).

Those same stock AT, I have had fish tail all over the mountain switch backs when I go to the ski resorts, and were only tolerable because of things like the traction control systems taking over. Then also I am originally from northern MN and SD, and I probably still to this day have trouble driving on a road without ice. I still want to over compensate on a warm summer day.

Chains? I don't think I ever seen anyone put on chains until I left MN. Who the hell wants to get out in -30 weather to put on frigen chains? Just learn to skate on your bald summer tires. Much more fun. As a teenager, winter tires coast more than my car was worth. I had better things to spend my money on.

I don't drive in much snow anymore, except for a couple times of year to ski; but, I will hopefully this year be able to get a set of the Hankooks MT on my FJ and test them out in the mountains.
Those look like they'd do good in deep snow, based on the tread pattern. Not much siping though, and a lot depends on the tread compound not freezing, which most tires probably do in the Alaskan winters. Let us know how they do!

NESSIE, 2011 NSSE edition

-DO rally bumper (deer dent special)
-IronMan FCP coilovers
-OME cheap LT rear
-275/70r17 MTR/kevlar tires
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all the replies. We run Blizzaks on my wife's AWD Explorer in the winter and it sticks like glue. That's usually in snow mode and I've never run her all seasons on icy roads so I didn't really have a basis for comparison.

I don't really need new tires, but I don't really like how mild the Geolanders are. I guess the biggest dilemma right now is I would like an aggressive AT or Mild MT. Both of which are usually pretty bad on hard pack snow/ice. I could probably convince my wife I need to buy one set of tires for some reason or another but 2 full sets will be a hard sell. I was hoping someone would come back and say the Geolanders were awesome snow tires and then I could go grabs some MTs on a set of wheels to run in the summer.

debFJVT - Good to hear. I really like the ST Maxx but wasn't sure how they would do in the snow. They are proud of them at about $255-285 a tire depending on rim size. I did find the new Kumho MT51 that look very similar to the ST Maxx for about $80 less a tire for a 285/75/16 (I know that's a 265 in the pic). Do you guys think this is going to be bad in the snow? It's pretty new so I can't find any reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0e9e65cae24913dbfe57f3ff8cbd3b41.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	864585  
debFJVT likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.