Nitto Mud Grappler Tires - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Nitto Mud Grappler Tires

I have been requested by Nitto to review their Mud Grappler Tire.

Nitto has provided me with set of 5 Mud Grappler tires, 33X12.50X17.

Having previously reviewed the Nitto Dune Grappler Sand Terrain tires, I am looking forward to trying out the most aggressive tire in the Nitto line. Like its Dune Grappler kin, the Mud Grappler is an "E" rated tire, with a 3-ply sidewall for strength.
I have installed the tires on ProComp 7089 Series wheels, and used DynaBead ceramic balancing beads - same set up I used when testing the Dune Grapplers.

Initial impressions:

These are awesome looking tires !!! Where the Dune Grapplers had a mild tread design (engineered toward sand use), and were adorned with a flame design that caused more scorn than adoration, the Mud Grapplers are a whole different ball game. THe tread design is extremely aggressive, with large lugs and lots of tread gaps to help keep the tread clean. With a "lizard-skin" pattern between the large sidewall lugs, and claw imprints on the tread, there is nothing "street-looking" about the Nitto Mud Grappler. So far, nothing but positive reation to the appearance of these tires.

First trip was a long, high speed freeway trip. One noticable difference from the Dune Grapplers, and every other tire I've used in the last 10 years, is the obvious road hum. Now, some tires, like Super Swampers, have a very annoying rumble when driving at speed - but these Nitto Mud Grappler's sound more like a low volume Turbo-jet plane. I actually like the sound - even the way the hum fades like a plane decelerating on landing approach. It is not loud enough to be distracting, and it didn't resonate into the FJ, but you definitely hear it. So, time will tell if this gets more annoying as the tire wears down. But for now, I don't think it's a big issue, as the sound is kind of fun.

The ride seems to be much better than I would have expected from such an aggressive tire - no wobble, no vibration, no handling or braking issues at all so far. While I'm sure the DynaBeads have a lot to do with the glass-like, vibration-free freeway ride, it takes a lot of tread design tuning to keep a largelug tire like this from having any resonant wobble at speed, and I think Nitto has done their homework to allow the Mud Grappler to be an acceptable daily driver.

Next test is to see how the Nitto M/G does in its' designated area - off road.

Stay tuned....

" I'm not aware of too many things, but I know what I know, if you know what I mean..."

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... that way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes..."

W6LPB / WPOK492

TLCA #9632

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Nitto Mud Grappler Tires

let us know what you find. i ran a set for a while on my silverado. we sell lots of sets of them. the first set we did were 40"s and they balanced out really well. almost no weight needed. mine balanced really well too. just like my two sets of terra grapplers i currently have. tread wear is pretty darn good on the street too. sound is different, but not overly loud or obnoxious.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 02:47 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to usnpsranger

I just bought my FJ in December, and I absolutely love the grapplers. The road noise is a bit intense, and I am considering buying a more highway friendly tire for the trip across the US to Colorado. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice looking tire without so much hum?

"I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation."

Last edited by usnpsranger; 04-28-2009 at 03:05 AM. Reason: poor english
#4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Forum Master

I love the look of these tires! However, I have "heard" they wear extremely faster than most mud terrains. Would you be able to give us a proffesional stand point of the wear on these tires? Of course after you put some miles on 'em.

07 Voodoo Blue AT 4X4
BeachRunner Build
#5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
esnx99 previously said: View Post
I love the look of these tires! However, I have "heard" they wear extremely faster than most mud terrains. Would you be able to give us a professional stand point of the wear on these tires? Of course after you put some miles on 'em.

That's the plan....THey do have reinforcing ribs on the lugs to provide greater stability for on road use, so this may help with on-road longevity....

" I'm not aware of too many things, but I know what I know, if you know what I mean..."

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... that way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes..."

W6LPB / WPOK492

TLCA #9632

#6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Garage

Larry, when you review tires can you post up the weight for reference ?

FJ Summit Co-Director email: james at fjsummit dot org
2008 Sandstorm, Level 8 Guardian 16x8.5, Cooper ST Maxx LT285/75/16E, Radflo suspension, Total Chaos UCAs, BudBuilts, Exp One w/Superwinch 9000s, Exp One rear bumper w/tire carrier, BajaRack, Dual batteries, Viair 450A and CO2, MetalTech upper and lower links, and some other goodies

I am the Woodsman...the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Brock Send a message via Yahoo to Brock

will you sell me the tires when you are done testing them? What wheel size are those and backspacing? I can do an ancillary test in Smokey Mountains of NC, red clay mud of North Georgia, and sand/marsh flats of South Carolina in the Lowcountry for a complete comparison. Plus then I will drive them to Ouray in July if you are done by then and give long term highway ratings...LOL

I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me.- Archilochus, 650BC
USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
------
00 LX470, Nitto Trail Grapplers, WhiteKnuckle sliders, BumpItOffroad front and rear, Titan winch

Swamp Fox Land Cruisers of South Carolina

Lowcountry AMSOIL Products

Last edited by Brock; 04-29-2009 at 08:15 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Forum Regular

Do you have any update on the Mud Grappler's or any other pictures?

O8 Sun Fusion
All Pro front bumper, skids. TRD CAI, TRD Catback
#9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Forum Veteran

I really like the looks of those.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Forum Superstar

Tell Nitto if they need a second opinion, I'm here for them!

2007 FJ 6MT black -n- black

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.