Treadwright Tires - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Wheels and Tires This section is for discussing the different wheel and tire options for the FJ Cruiser!

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Treadwright Tires

Yes, the tires purchased with the "Kedge Grip" have the recycled glass and walnut shells in them. Getting their tires with the kedge grip added to the tire is under $10 per tire.

From their FAQ:
"Kedge Grip is a traction additive that we blend into the rubber compound. Kedge Grip consists of a crushed walnut shell and crushed glass particle that works in a two fold manner. As the tire wears down the walnut shell is designed to displace from the rubber leaving a small (1mm) pit or void that provides additional traction edges. The crushed glass is designed to stay in place longer providing additional grit and grip on the surface of the tread."

Quote:
TahoeBlue previously said: View Post
Interesting. They are made in part of recycled glass and walnut shells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 AM
fka JimmyHoops

Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Grendel previously said: View Post
Yes, the tires purchased with the "Kedge Grip" have the recycled glass and walnut shells in them. Getting their tires with the kedge grip added to the tire is under $10 per tire.

From their FAQ:
"Kedge Grip is a traction additive that we blend into the rubber compound. Kedge Grip consists of a crushed walnut shell and crushed glass particle that works in a two fold manner. As the tire wears down the walnut shell is designed to displace from the rubber leaving a small (1mm) pit or void that provides additional traction edges. The crushed glass is designed to stay in place longer providing additional grit and grip on the surface of the tread."
Not knocking it. I actually like the green aspect of the design and the added winter traction for snow country. I'm already aware that crushed glass and walnuts are used for a variety of purposes. It will be interesting to hear real world feedback from forum members at some point which is why I've subscribed to this thread.

Have a question & need an answer? Do an "Advanced Search" and ye shall find: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...n-dummies.html

'07 FJ, VooDoo Blue, M/T6...mostly stock but beginning its metamorphosis into a expedition worthy rig.

Last edited by TahoeBlue; 02-16-2010 at 02:51 AM.
#23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:07 AM
Forum Superstar

Send a message via AIM to chrisngrod Send a message via Yahoo to chrisngrod

Grendel - thanks for inviting me into the thread.

Treadwright Tires – Low Cost Truck Tires (Intro) : Off Road / 4×4 News and Forums – IH8 Pavement

That was the first write up I did on the Treadwright tires. So far it covers about 3,500 miles of use and three off road trips. I seriously think they're getting in the way of my MotoAlliance winch review.

Let me note in case you don't catch it immediatey. Mine are not the Kedge Grip, BUT have been siped at Discount Tire Co. This weekend I visited the local off road park and as usual I wound up wheeling with Jeeps. Two groups that day and as usual they are impressed with the FJ.

Last edited by chrisngrod; 02-16-2010 at 08:03 AM.
#24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

My friend in Denver ordered a set of the "Wardens" for his Xterra. They are the BFG AT tread pattern and they are gonna be on BFG AT casings, so that'll be nice and stealth. He did not opt for the Kedge grip.

2007 VooDoo 4x4 Auto - LOADED
OEM Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust
Ricochet bash plate, PureFJ sliders
Manik brush guard w/ Blitz 240s
Add'l 12v outlets, Scuba Mod, Amaesing hood decal.
08-09 side sun visors
265 Duratrac's on Raceline Rockcrusher. Bilstein 5100's to level the front.
Backup Camera w/ 7" monitor
Power rear window mod
Hemi71cuda's Build
#25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Years ago...maybe the early 90's I had a set of remoulds.... not retread. The upside was that you could not see the original casing at all. They had another name stamped on them...Weather something or other... They were the big thing compared to retreaded tires. They were awesome in snow but man the noise was wild. I only ever tried them once...lol... It was just a generic winter tread from back in the day.

'07 FJ, C package, 5A, Ti

mods so far
Mod, mod, and more mods and it still looks way to friggin' stock.....grrrrr

Love my truck.....Love my forum

http://www.fjnortheasters.org/forum/

The Northeastest Northeaster
#26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Forum Master

Send a message via Skype™ to FJ-Fred

subscribed... interesting option
#27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

I searched the interwebs high and low for some negative feedback on retreads. I will concur that the only negative opinions were from people that had never owned them. (I'll stop there since the additional positives I found would likely spur some debate).

I was looking at the green diamonds (Icelander M/Ts) greendiamond
But I wanted to "size up" to 285-70-17's and they only make a 265.
I was especially intrigued by the silica carbide (similar to the walnut/glass mix)
The problem I see with green diamond is they want $200/ tire. You could buy new for that price. They are constantly on a waiting list status so I guess people are buying them up.

*Subscribed* When my BFG AT's burn out, these will get a good hard look.

brett
2007 Black Diamond 7G edition "The Trail Bomber"
#28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Forum Regular

That greendiamond is interesting, especially how they are embedding the silica carbide in the tire. I hadn't heard of them until now.

Yes, the price for the Treadwright is the huge motivator. While many of us are trying to be more "green" in our lives, for me if the Treadwrights cost near what a set of new mainstream vendor A/T or MT cost, they probably wouldn't have been in the running for my purchase decision.

Quote:
gericurl76 previously said: View Post
I was looking at the green diamonds (Icelander M/Ts) greendiamond
But I wanted to "size up" to 285-70-17's and they only make a 265.
I was especially intrigued by the silica carbide (similar to the walnut/glass mix)
The problem I see with green diamond is they want $200/ tire. You could buy new for that price. They are constantly on a waiting list status so I guess people are buying them up.
#29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for responding to this thread like I asked of you in a PM and providing the link to the writeup you did a few months ago. I'd seen several of the videos you have in that review on various other places, including posted by Treadwright on their site off the "Just for Fun" tab.

Quote:
chrisngrod previously said: View Post
Grendel - thanks for inviting me into the thread.

Treadwright Tires – Low Cost Truck Tires (Intro) : Off Road / 4×4 News and Forums – IH8 Pavement

That was the first write up I did on the Treadwright tires. So far it covers about 3,500 miles of use and three off road trips. I seriously think they're getting in the way of my MotoAlliance winch review.

Let me note in case you don't catch it immediatey. Mine are not the Kedge Grip, BUT have been siped at Discount Tire Co. This weekend I visited the local off road park and as usual I wound up wheeling with Jeeps. Two groups that day and as usual they are impressed with the FJ.
#30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage

I totally agree on the price issue. The green is very "hip" but just doesn't make as much sense to a no B.S. type guy when the price holds no advantage (the hippies can hate me).
I don't buy used (or refurbished) at the same price as new. I picked up my BFG's with <500 miles on them for $335.00 mounted and balanced or I would be looking at picking these up now.

brett
2007 Black Diamond 7G edition "The Trail Bomber"

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Wheels and Tires

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.