Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Better noise insulation

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  DOCCRUZ 
#1 ·
If more insulation was installed in the doors, side panels, and especially the roof, the cabin would be a lot quieter.

Also, maybe as an option, bedliner-type undercoating on the bottom of the vehicle?

#3 ·
I've heard (heh, pun intended) that that is a major source of road noise, just due to the "echo chamber"-like properties of the space back there. Kind of like an inverted bowl, facing the road surface.

I plan to do the same (it's on the to-do list). If you end up doing it before me, post up how many spray cans it took...

#8 ·
I'm really surprised to hear there are noise complaints with the FJ considering the nature of the vehicle. I've had Jeeps, Disco's, 4 Runners, last a Dodge 4X4 Hemi 2500, and I was really impressed at the quietness of my FJ which is what sold me on it. I drove an 08 4 Runner with a V8 and the FJ the same day, I admit the 4 Runner was a bit more quiet, but not much. The FJ impressed me at the power (V6 vs V8 in the Runner) and the thing I noticed most was the quietness of the ride....for a purpose built vehicle of course. The Hemi Ram believe it or not with mods was not a night and day difference to the FJ. 0-60 differed by only 1.35 seconds and I had a cold air intake and Dynomax exhaust/Superchips Hyperpaq to run the way it did. I felt the FJ was a good compromise even though it didn't rumble like the Dodge (which most don't like). The need for anything other then natural aspiration for power pushes into hot rod territory unlless you're running 35's or larger without gears.

A good point mentioned was the "roof rack noise". I have every option on my FJ but the roof rack, and wanted to add a "rack" until the comment was made about noise. My question is what is the best rack with the least noise on the road and MPG's is the next question. My biggest complaint by far is the 16 gallon (approx) fuel tank that I don't think anyones mentioned (could be wrong), I gass the FJ more then the Dodge that got 14MPG with Multi Displacement. Even an 18 gallon would be great.

My FJ is great other then that, I'm impressed it's as quiet as it is with the upright windplow design. I'm really woried about the windshield/crackage now reading other posts. I love it but noise would be the last thing I'd complain about!

#9 ·
I had my FJ undercoated at the dealer. They use under armor with lifetime warranty. Made it much quiter and no rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.