Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Re: Volhoo's Build - The Brigadier

Summit #3 Road Trip

July 11 – 26, 2009

3079 miles roundtrip from our home in Southern California to Grand Junction Colorado, Salida Colorado, Gunnison Colorado, Ouray Colorado, Grand Mesa Colorado, Moab Utah and Flagstaff Arizona.
The first day we made it all the way to Grand Junction before stopping at a cheap motel for the night. The next day we went to Salida to check it out. My sister and brother in law own a house very near Salida and we wanted to see what all the excitement was about.
Kyakers on the Arkansas River right in the middle of town.

On top of Cumberland Pass near Gunnison.

A great trail we found in Gunnison.

This trail got pretty muddy and at one point we descended a long step hill and started to slide sideways before I decided to get off the brakes and just roll and try to toboggan down as best I could.
We made it down without an incident, but a short time later the trail suddenly ended.

We had to go back out the same way we came in, but this time up the slick mud hill had me a little concerned. We had the winch and lots of Aspens, so we knew we would eventually get out. But first we had to turn around.
This is a shot of how far back I had to go before turning the tires left or right had any effect. I literally had my tires turned full stop, and the ruts just held the truck in.

We got turned around and tooled right back up the muddy hills very easily. We definitely want to head back to Gunnison and explore the area in more detail.
After Gunnison we drove to the 3rd annual FJ Summit in Ouray Colorado.
On Wednesday morning we ran the Alpine Loop by ourselves to get ready for Saturday morning when we were scheduled to lead a group at 8 am. We didn’t see another sole for many hours.

We did run into these guys near the start of Cinnamon Pass

On Thursday July 16th (2009) we drove Imogene Pass with Bob Brown (trail leader). I got confused about the start time and we initially missed the group rolling out of town, but eventually caught up with them not too far into the trail.

On Friday we went out on our own again and went out to American Basin. We had not been there and would suggest everyone include this short side trip into their Alpine Loop run. It only takes another 20 or 30 minutes to see, and the flower show and the scenery was outstanding.

On Saturday morning we lead the Alpine Loop group that left at 8 am. We had 5 rigs in all, and it took us over 8 hours to complete )including and hour lunch break in Lake City).

Titan and a Healer playing in the snow at the top of Engineer Pass.

After the Summit we headed up to check out Grand Mesa. It was very beautiful but the Mosquito’s drove us out after only one day.

We then headed out to Moab for some more wheeling. The first day we went solo and did the Hidden Canyon Overlook trail and the Rainbow Terrace Trail.

Next next day we met Jake (TrailBus) at the City Market and joined his group run up to the Top of the World. Thanks for a great run Jake, we hadn’t been up there and loved it.

The following day we drove to Flagstaff to visit some friends on the way home and spent the night at their home. That night we got a call from home telling us our beautiful little sweet potato pit bull Nicky was very sick and later that night she passed. We drove home the next day.

She will be missed.
-

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3241/3011331757_53916c3e58_o.gif

Vince / volhoo

Happy trails...

My Build: - now with LINKS to all my OFF-ROAD ADVENTURES on the 1st post!
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...brigadier.html

FJ Crew:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/FJ-Crew/129320947238836

My Online Portfolio:
http://www.vincepetersondesign.com

-

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome